Kelly McParland: How decades of Liberal indifference created Danielle Smith

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Its a go in the interior.
The interior for sure, the north for sure, the east for sure, parts of the island for sure, most of the fraser valley would likely go for it, and parts of metro vancouver (coquitlam, langley, maple ridge, a few other areas would likely be over 50 percent),

Of course the devil is in the details of any such agreement but in principle if asked i think even significant parts of vancouver proper would say yes to the question "should the provinces have more power over themselves instead of the fed gov't".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
South of the Fraser is already foreign nations functioning on street law and corruption that Canada may have to invade one day.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Really? Do you think BC would back efforts? I'm inclined to disagree. Maybe N.E. B.C would be game but I'm not so sure about Vancouver or Victoria.
It took a railroad to get us to join in and that was perilously close .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Peace, order and good government.

That’s a phrase used in section 91 of the British North America Act, which came to be known as the Canadian Constitution. It’s kind of vague, but it is meant to describe the federal Parliament’s lawmaking authority over the provinces.

Most of the time, “Peace, Order and Good Government” doesn’t really have a specific legal meaning. It’s a bit of fanciful lawmaker poetry, really. It’s like the American “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” — or the French one, “Liberty, Fraternity, Equalization Payments.” They’re theoretical concepts, not entirely legal ones.

As of this week, however, “peace, order and good government” — POGG, the scholars call it — is likely to become quite a bit less theoretical. And all because of what has happened in Quebec and Alberta.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When did we get a constitution? Im aware of the Bill of Rights and Charter of Rights and Freedoms but constitution? Get outta here!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
When did we get a constitution? Im aware of the Bill of Rights and Charter of Rights and Freedoms but constitution? Get outta here!
Whatever the Supreme Court says it means , subject to change .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The central promise of the woman who will become Alberta premier on Tuesday represents something new in Canadian history: an attempt to ignore the country’s Constitution. (Constitution Act 1982? Via Trudeau Sr…so the Charter of Rights & Freedoms?)

Danielle Smith’s proposed Alberta Sovereignty Act, as explained on her campaign website, would authorize the province to refuse to enforce federal laws, and ignore the decisions of federal regulators, when they are viewed as not in Alberta’s interest or as violations of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Ahhh…1982, got it) in everything from vaccination programs to telecommunications to energy emissions, Alberta could assert sovereign control.
(Keep in mind this is the Globe & Mail in its slant towards Albertians & Alberta in general)

If passed, at least as outlined on the website, it would be different from everything that has gone before, constitutional scholars say. For several years in the 1980s, Quebec used the Charter’s notwithstanding clause to make its laws largely immune from scrutiny under the constitutional rights bill. But that was permissible under the Charter’s own terms, and the Supreme Court of Canada mostly upheld it.

“To my recollection, no provinces, including Quebec, have ever done anything like that, adopted some kind of blocking legislation,” said Daniel Turp, a pro-independence law professor emeritus at the University of Montreal.

But some constitutional scholars see it as a rejection of the original 1867 (British North America Act now?) Constitution, which divided powers between Ottawa and the provinces, and of the principle that laws are presumed constitutional until a court rules they are not. In Ms. Smith’s proposal, the Alberta legislature, in a free vote, would be empowered to decide what is or is not constitutional.

“There are risks in and of themselves when government … no longer regards the Constitution (one of them? Pick one) as effectively constraining their actions,” said Eric Adams, a law professor at the University of Alberta specializing in the Constitution and constitutional history.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
At this point, I'm starting to not giving a flying fig.

Let Alberta Separate.

Let Quebec separate.

Get the fuck out because they obviously don't give a shit about Canada, and I'm tired of the constant whining and bitching.

Get it done and over with.

Take your chunk of debt with you.

Join the US who cares.

Done.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The central promise of the woman who will become Alberta premier on Tuesday represents something new in Canadian history: an attempt to ignore the country’s Constitution. (Constitution Act 1982? Via Trudeau Sr…so the Charter of Rights & Freedoms?)

Danielle Smith’s proposed Alberta Sovereignty Act, as explained on her campaign website, would authorize the province to refuse to enforce federal laws, and ignore the decisions of federal regulators, when they are viewed as not in Alberta’s interest or as violations of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Ahhh…1982, got it) in everything from vaccination programs to telecommunications to energy emissions, Alberta could assert sovereign control.
(Keep in mind this is the Globe & Mail in its slant towards Albertians & Alberta in general)

If passed, at least as outlined on the website, it would be different from everything that has gone before, constitutional scholars say. For several years in the 1980s, Quebec used the Charter’s notwithstanding clause to make its laws largely immune from scrutiny under the constitutional rights bill. But that was permissible under the Charter’s own terms, and the Supreme Court of Canada mostly upheld it.

“To my recollection, no provinces, including Quebec, have ever done anything like that, adopted some kind of blocking legislation,” said Daniel Turp, a pro-independence law professor emeritus at the University of Montreal.

But some constitutional scholars see it as a rejection of the original 1867 (British North America Act now?) Constitution, which divided powers between Ottawa and the provinces, and of the principle that laws are presumed constitutional until a court rules they are not. In Ms. Smith’s proposal, the Alberta legislature, in a free vote, would be empowered to decide what is or is not constitutional.

“There are risks in and of themselves when government … no longer regards the Constitution (one of them? Pick one) as effectively constraining their actions,” said Eric Adams, a law professor at the University of Alberta specializing in the Constitution and constitutional history.
My understanding of her bill is that the Alberta government would not pay for the RCMP to enforce federal laws they don’t agree with. But if the feds want to pa6 for the time of Alberta contracted RCMP they are welcome to do so. Seems The feds never attached any money to enforcing this, and expected the province to pick up the tab. I think it is meant to be a step towards an provincial police force and then the RCMP would only be there to enforce federal laws.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Let Alberta Separate.

Let Quebec separate.

Get the fuck out because they obviously don't give a shit about Canada, and I'm tired of the constant whining and bitching.

Join the US who cares.

Done.
I care! Like we need another bunch of whimpering layabouts demanding free health care!

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I care! Like we need another bunch of whimpering layabouts demanding free health care!

That's if they'd want to join the US.

Personally, I don't think the US would be okay with it.

And I don't think Alberta overall would do it. It's one thing to be "Texberta" or a wannabe US state, it's another to join.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My understanding is that people who don't agree with Daniel misinterpret what the Alberta Sovereignty Act would be all about but that's to be expected. They were people who didn't agree with Daniel's policies so rather than discuss what it is that they don't like, they simply regurgitate someone else's opinion that it goes against the "Constitution Act". The draft of the Sovereignty Act that I read was that Alberta would not enforce a policy that was detrimental to Alberta and WHERE THE FEDS HAVE NO JURISDICTION!! So for example, if Trudeau decides to put in another mandate, Alberta wouldn't follow because health is under provincial jurisdiction so it's up to the province to decide whether to implement it.

Transportation, on the other hand, is a Federal responsibility, so the Act would not apply to that because it's not in the Province's jurisdiction. That was my read on what I got sent from Daniel's people on the Sovereignty Act.

Now what I received was a "work in progress" draft so unless there are changes I'm not aware of, nothing in it would go against the "Charter of Rights & Freedoms" as some skeptics are stating.

So, now that she's going to be our Premier, it'll be interesting to see how this rolls out. I am looking forward to seeing what happens politically in Alberta as it will be really interesting: Smith vs Notley.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now what I received was a "work in progress" draft so unless there are changes I'm not aware of, nothing in it would go against the "Charter of Rights & Freedoms" as some skeptics are stating.
It cant go against the Charter because the Charter is exclusive to the Federal Govt.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
On Tuesday, Smith released an overview of the proposed act, which she says would be used to defend the province from “Ottawa’s continuous economic and constitutional attacks.”
It cant go against the Charter because the Charter is exclusive to the Federal Govt.
(Then there’s the Notwithstanding Clause, the section of the Constitution that allows provincial governments to ignore the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.)

According to the overview, the act would affirm the authority of the legislature to refuse provincial enforcement of specific federal laws or policies “that violate the jurisdictional rights of Alberta” under the Constitution of Canada or Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Let Alberta Separate.

Let Quebec separate.

The act’s objective is not to separate from Canada but to assert Alberta’s constitutional rights “to the furthest extent possible by effectively governing itself as a nation within a nation.” This sounds vaguely familiar….

During an unrelated press conference Tuesday, Premier Jason Kenney commented on the sovereignty act as first proposed by Free Alberta Strategy, saying it is “catastrophically stupid” and would lead to Alberta becoming a “banana republic.”

Kenney, who recently returned from a trip to South Korea to promote investment in Alberta, said such legislation would be “kryptonite” for investors. He would vote against the bill if it comes forward in the legislature.

Kenney got a landslide of Albertans to vote for changes to federal equalization last fall, only to see the rest of Canada shrug off the vote and forget about it essentially the next day.
Join the US who cares.

Done.
Smith’s Sovereignty Act will be much harder to ignore. It represents concrete actions, a swift cowboy boot to the shins of Justin Trudeau’s grandest ambitions.

For example, she reduced the wordy debate around the constitutionality of her proposed Sovereignty Act to one simple notion, that Alberta isn’t asking for anything special, just what Quebec is already getting.

“What is the Sovereignty Act?” she said at last week’s debate. “It just says that we want to be treated just like Quebec.”

The Alberta Sovereignty Act was modelled to mimic Quebec’s unique level of control over its own affairs, something that Smith said specifically in an August National Post op-ed. “It would essentially give Alberta the same power within confederation that Quebec has,” she wrote.

For Smith – and the United Conservative Party faction who voted for her – it’s this view of nationalism that has proved most attractive.

“Quebec has asserted it is a nation within a nation … Under my leadership, Alberta will too,” Smith wrote in August.

It is not surprising, then, that other provinces are looking for ways to assert themselves.

As for the federal government, it routinely invades provincial jurisdiction, mostly on health care, but the list keeps growing to now include daycare and dental care. These intrusions are smoothed over with cash transfers, but they are no less an affront to federalism for that.

When it comes to regulating industry, particularly the oil and gas industry, the Justin Trudeau Liberals are constantly changing the rules, and hinting at more regulation to come. This is not a concern only because the provinces have jurisdiction over resources, but also because it politicizes the rules.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
On Tuesday, Smith released an overview of the proposed act, which she says would be used to defend the province from “Ottawa’s continuous economic and constitutional attacks.”

(Then there’s the Notwithstanding Clause, the section of the Constitution that allows provincial governments to ignore the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.)

According to the overview, the act would affirm the authority of the legislature to refuse provincial enforcement of specific federal laws or policies “that violate the jurisdictional rights of Alberta” under the Constitution of Canada or Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The act’s objective is not to separate from Canada but to assert Alberta’s constitutional rights “to the furthest extent possible by effectively governing itself as a nation within a nation.” This sounds vaguely familiar….

During an unrelated press conference Tuesday, Premier Jason Kenney commented on the sovereignty act as first proposed by Free Alberta Strategy, saying it is “catastrophically stupid” and would lead to Alberta becoming a “banana republic.”

Kenney, who recently returned from a trip to South Korea to promote investment in Alberta, said such legislation would be “kryptonite” for investors. He would vote against the bill if it comes forward in the legislature.

Kenney got a landslide of Albertans to vote for changes to federal equalization last fall, only to see the rest of Canada shrug off the vote and forget about it essentially the next day.

Smith’s Sovereignty Act will be much harder to ignore. It represents concrete actions, a swift cowboy boot to the shins of Justin Trudeau’s grandest ambitions.

For example, she reduced the wordy debate around the constitutionality of her proposed Sovereignty Act to one simple notion, that Alberta isn’t asking for anything special, just what Quebec is already getting.

“What is the Sovereignty Act?” she said at last week’s debate. “It just says that we want to be treated just like Quebec.”

The Alberta Sovereignty Act was modelled to mimic Quebec’s unique level of control over its own affairs, something that Smith said specifically in an August National Post op-ed. “It would essentially give Alberta the same power within confederation that Quebec has,” she wrote.

For Smith – and the United Conservative Party faction who voted for her – it’s this view of nationalism that has proved most attractive.

“Quebec has asserted it is a nation within a nation … Under my leadership, Alberta will too,” Smith wrote in August.

It is not surprising, then, that other provinces are looking for ways to assert themselves.

As for the federal government, it routinely invades provincial jurisdiction, mostly on health care, but the list keeps growing to now include daycare and dental care. These intrusions are smoothed over with cash transfers, but they are no less an affront to federalism for that.

When it comes to regulating industry, particularly the oil and gas industry, the Justin Trudeau Liberals are constantly changing the rules, and hinting at more regulation to come. This is not a concern only because the provinces have jurisdiction over resources, but also because it politicizes the rules.

She comes from Wexit.

You can think this isn't about Alberta separation, and right now it's not, directly.

But in the end, if she doesn't get what she wants, it'll head that way. The cries from the right in Alberta have been going on for years, threatening leaving.

Fine.

I'm just saying I don't care anymore.

GTFO, both provinces.

IMO both provinces are like the two little spoiled brats in a family trying to get mom and dad to pay attention to them, and now they're seeing who can scream the loudest and be the most effing annoying.

Meanwhile the rest of us just want to live our lives and have a bit of peace.