Haiti,lets discuss it civilly

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know this is twenty twenty hindsight, but one of the big problems is that Haiti had no government to speak of. It is not like this is the first disaster to hit that country. I hope when this earthquake damage has been dealt with, they set up some kind of emergency response team so that if there is another quake or a hurricane, people get some kind of help sooner. Some sort of building code would be a good idea. I would say most of the people who died were killed when their office buildings and houses collapsed on top of them. In Canada and most other countries, this would have been a relatively minor quake

http://www.majorchampionshipnews.com/topic/Canada

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
What were they doing here before they were deployed. I had to laugh at the brass when Victoria and area was hit with a good dump of snow. So much so the the loaders and graders were spinning out so they sent the troops out with shovels. (this was before ski-doos). Not being a military man I would think welding up a set a chains for the loaders and the one grader they had would have proved quicker and more useful. As it was the sun came out and melted everything in a few days and the aid they would have supplied was being done by the people that lived in each neighborhood.

Haha.

Our high military spending is for aggression outside our borders. pretty much our only choice is support for whatever America wants us to do. Think how much they could be trained in other trades. Wars are not fought on a clock, you don't need a large supply of weapons on the ready to be safe. The first wave of the attack will be successful and if you can't fight back then you don't until you can fight back, even if that gives you the label of rebel. Pretty hard to successfully invade the frozen north, you can fight the people (Canadaian's who don't want to be invaded) or you can fight the cold, you can do one or the other but you can't do both and expect to win (no rebellion from the inhabitants)

To be blunt, we are pretty much America's lapdog. Before that, we were Britain's. True about that. I doubt we'd be large-scale invaded, but sure it can happen. Look at the Cold War. USSR could have easily invaded us, had it not been for America, they would have, no? Or World War II Germany. Or modern terrorists.

The Nations we call friends have not always been above board in the way they have treated Haitians and that is because they broke the bonds of slavery. Slavery in the States went from possession of the people to possession of the goods that the former slaves had to purchase necessities of life from Haitian's have been treated. That also made it possible for the dregs of Europe that were immigrated to the company towns of North America were as much as slaves as anybody of African decent. ever was. It was no accident that their paychecks were gone by the time the next one arrived. Any revolt and starvation was two days away.

Yep. Lots of people have been slaves in history. Some still are. I'd argue wage slaves to companies like Walmart or McDonalds are endentured servants.

Good idea, we should leave them alone and we should make all NATO friends do the same.

I don't mind helping them with immediate relief effort, but rebuilding their country is an incredibely bad idea, and a huge waste of our money. The fact is, those people are not capable of maintaining civilization, otherwise they would have on their own.

You can teach people how to fish, but if they don't want to, or would rather just rape and murder you, then steal your supply of fish, it is pointless.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I know this is twenty twenty hindsight, but one of the big problems is that Haiti had no government to speak of. It is not like this is the first disaster to hit that country. I hope when this earthquake damage has been dealt with, they set up some kind of emergency response team so that if there is another quake or a hurricane, people get some kind of help sooner. Some sort of building code would be a good idea. I would say most of the people who died were killed when their office buildings and houses collapsed on top of them. In Canada and most other countries, this would have been a relatively minor quake

Maybe the Haitain's average IQ is too low to maintain civilization. I might get flamed for this, but I think that is the case.

How much money can you throw at people with an average IQ of 80, before you realize it is hopeless?

If this happened in Canada, we'd hardly need outside assitance. Oh well, continue The White Man's burden if you would. I think it is idiotic.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
To be blunt, we are pretty much America's lapdog. Before that, we were Britain's. True about that. I doubt we'd be large-scale invaded, but sure it can happen. Look at the Cold War. USSR could have easily invaded us, had it not been for America, they would have, no? Or World War II Germany. Or modern terrorists.

I don't mind helping them with immediate relief effort, but rebuilding their country is an incredibely bad idea, and a huge waste of our money. The fact is, those people are not capable of maintaining civilization, otherwise they would have on their own.

You can teach people how to fish, but if they don't want to, or would rather just rape and murder you, then steal your supply of fish, it is pointless.
That inability to develop a responsive Government is largely a planned effect of American policy towards them in just the last century. The effort was destabilization rather than stabilization.

Watch the hand, lol'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtwkTS9mq8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe the Haitain's average IQ is too low to maintain civilization. I might get flamed for this, but I think that is the case.

How much money can you throw at people with an average IQ of 80, before you realize it is hopeless?

If this happened in Canada, we'd hardly need outside assitance. Oh well, continue The White Man's burden if you would. I think it is idiotic.

I don't think so. The country that Haiti shares the island with don't have near the problems that Haiti does. Average IQ of 80 means that there are an equal number above 80. Do you think all the smart people moved to the Dominican Republic? Haiti's problem is that they have been governed by crooks.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Probably not by this crowd, some here put their plight before the quake solely on their shoulders alone.
You do know that IQ tests require some schooling to get high scores right. If the children can't even read and write how would they get the score you demand they have before you will see them as equals.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

What is to discuss about Haiti, it is a poor country, was corrupt before the earthquake and probably will be so for the foreseeable future. Now that it has been said, the Haitian people are not all crooks, do not have low IQ's and need our help. So get off this high horse better than thou attitude. By the grace of somebody, it could be us. We are the ones who stripped Haiti of her natural resources and native people, not them.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think so. The country that Haiti shares the island with don't have near the problems that Haiti does. Average IQ of 80 means that there are an equal number above 80. Do you think all the smart people moved to the Dominican Republic? Haiti's problem is that they have been governed by crooks.

I think the smart people did leave. Also the lack of proper education means those that are intelligent, can't really do much with it.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
What is to discuss about Haiti, it is a poor country, was corrupt before the earthquake and probably will be so for the foreseeable future. Now that it has been said, the Haitian people are not all crooks, do not have low IQ's and need our help. So get off this high horse better than thou attitude. By the grace of somebody, it could be us. We are the ones who stripped Haiti of her natural resources and native people, not them.

You and I didn't personally strip them of their resources. They still have resources in Haiti. They could easily do factory labor, fishing, tourism, and more, much like the Dominican Republic.

Why is the Dominican Republic significantly more successful then Haiti? They don't need our help. Why us? The fact that Canada still has problems that are not resolved, means to me that we shouldn't be helping the outside world.

We have a growing unemployment rate, lack of certain jobs (like police or nurses or doctors or teachers or skilled labor generally), and many homeless.

These people obviously are not getting enough funding/volunteers, so why go and help another country when our own country has problems?

PS: The relief effort is already done. Rebuilding the country is not our job - in my opinion.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He's late to the party. I guess the crazies like Pat Robertson are quicker out of the starting gate.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Best thing we could do is to move all the Haitians off that island and settle them in a more stable geographical environment. Here in the U.S., Canada South America etc. any place that has the room and is willing to do it. Haiti is like California (quakes, floods etc.), nice place to visit, but not fit for long term human habitation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Best thing we could do is to move all the Haitians off that island and settle them in a more stable geographical environment. Here in the U.S., Canada South America etc. any place that has the room and is willing to do it. Haiti is like California (quakes, floods etc.), nice place to visit, but not fit for long term human habitation.

Is the main problem quakes and floods per se or is the building codes?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Somehow you are right...but they still are human beings.

Exactly, which is the least long term cost to the least number of people? Relocating them (which includes the costs of personal trauma) or beefing up the buildings?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How about Israeli ?Should they be removed ?
Where?In Madagascar?
In Iran ?
They are also a problem...even bigger than the Haitiens.

I fail to see a connection with what you are talking about and the issue raised in the original post. It was dealing specifically with the Jan. 12 event in Haiti. W.T.F. has Madagascar got to do with it?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Is the main problem quakes and floods per se or is the building codes?

Nothing can really stand up to an Earthquake or a good flood, no matter what the building code may be.

How about Israeli ?Should they be removed ?
Where?In Madagascar?
In Iran ?
They are also a problem...even bigger than the Haitiens.

Pecans, coconuts, peanuts, almonds

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nothing can really stand up to an Earthquake or a good flood, no matter what the building code may be.

Pecans, coconuts, peanuts, almonds

I'm going to go out on a limb and beg to differ, I'll bet if the codes in Haiti were the same as in San Francisco, the damage would have been about half.
Of course, when he mentioned oil I thought he was talkin' crude not peanut.