free

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Head cheese is disgusting stuff just to look at, let alone eat. I don't know if it is made out of boiled brains or what but
it wouldn't bother me if the world ran out of head cheese tomorrow.

That's good - the less of it you eat all the more for me. You don't even know what its made from. (The meat off the head of the pig) Why waste something like that when 2/3 of the world is hungry?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That's good - the less of it you eat all the more for me. You don't even know what its made from. (The meat off the head of the pig) Why waste something like that when 2/3 of the world is hungry?

I've seen it made and that is bad enough. You're welcome to my share.:lol:;-)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Try it with a little Monterrey Jack

Along with some Yukon Jack(the drink), Jack Daniels, Jack Mehoff, and Jack the Ripper. To say nothing of Jack und Jill.

Good, eh.:roll:

Head cheese is disgusting stuff just to look at, let alone eat. I don't know if it is made out of boiled brains or what but

Mum put some of that stuff on for dinner once, when i was a kid. One bite, and I puked right on the table. :lol: Bears little if any resemblance to cheese; and not at all like 'head'.

8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Along with some Yukon Jack(the drink), Jack Daniels, Jack Mehoff, and Jack the Ripper. To say nothing of Jack und Jill.

Good, eh.:roll:

Mum put some of that stuff on for dinner once, when i was a kid. One bite, and I puked right on the table. :lol: Bears little if any resemblance to cheese; and not at all like 'head'.

8O

I'd laugh if what you said was funny.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

It's not really any different from chicken stock, only they don't heat it back up into stock, they serve it cold. *shrugs*

Boil the carcass scraps until the meat falls off the bone and the stock is full of the good old gelatin. Strain the stock, pick the good meat out and put it back in the 'soup'. Discard the unusable bones, gristle, etc. Then, depending which one you're making and with which animal scrap, head cheese or pea soup or chicken soup, you either chill it or add more ingredients to stretch it even further.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not really any different from chicken stock, only they don't heat it back up into stock, they serve it cold. *shrugs*

Boil the carcass scraps until the meat falls off the bone and the stock is full of the good old gelatin. Strain the stock, pick the good meat out and put it back in the 'soup'. Discard the unusable bones, gristle, etc. Then, depending which one you're making and with which animal scrap, head cheese or pea soup or chicken soup, you either chill it or add more ingredients to stretch it even further.

You're wise beyond belief. My brother in law and I can gobble up a lb. of head cheese at a sitting. It's funny how a popular myth can be totally erroneous. :smile:

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
here's what may be a stupid question,is pot head and head cheese the same thing,doesn't look like the photo at all

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Meh.... I can't say I tried Head Cheese before (to my knowledge anyways) but I'll try anything once.... so long as I know it won't kill me the first time I eat it.

boiled Beef kidney, chicken livers, chicken hearts, beef heart, sheep heart, rappie pie, cottage cheese, vegemite, moose, duck, rabbit, deer, fresh water eel, fish roe, salt fish, solomon gundy, sushi....... basically if it can be sold, cooked and eaten, I'll give it a go.

^ Yeah some things up there aren't really that bad to most, like sishi, duck etc....... but I know there are some people who'd never touch the stuff and get grossed out just by think about them.

The only thing I won't eat are Twizzlers and Nibs..... gross ass crap, just the smell makes me want to vomit.

Spam, Kam, Corned Beef and the sort, I have no issues with..... I wouldn't eat them on a regular basis, but I have no issue with them.

If spam was good enough for the troops in WWII (or after WWII during Europe occupation and rebuilding that is), it's good enough for me :p

And when you really look at what Spam is made up of, it's really not that bad:
Spam (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock."

Doesn't sound that bad really.

here's what may be a stupid question,is pot head and head cheese the same thing,doesn't look like the photo at all

Pot heads generally look like this:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
[QUOTE=Praxius^ Yeah some things up there aren't really that bad to most, like sishi, duck etcDoesn't sound that bad really.

I made the mistake of buying a duck about a year ago- worst food purchase I've made in my life. When it came out of the oven it looked like a starved rat and what meat I could scrape off it was touch as nails. No wonder most Chinese are so skinny. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I made the mistake of buying a duck about a year ago- worst food purchase I've made in my life. When it came out of the oven it looked like a starved rat and what meat I could scrape off it was touch as nails. No wonder most Chinese are so skinny. :smile:

Really? I hear wonderful things about duck.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is actually a great diet food, take one look at that stuff and you
don't want anything to eat for the next several hours, Can you
imagine eating that stuff.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Really? I hear wonderful things about duck.
Wild duck and domestic duck are two different beasts. Very little breast meat on domestic variety. Domestic duck has to be very particularly prepared for consumption. Canard d'orange is great if you find the right recipe.

It is actually a great diet food, take one look at that stuff and you
don't want anything to eat for the next several hours, Can you
imagine eating that stuff.
I love head cheese but it has to be home made. Industrial head cheese is rather gross. I was lucky enough (and unlucky enough) to have been married to a French Canadian chef, past tense being the unlucky part.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Head cheese is disgusting stuff just to look at, let alone eat. I don't know if it is made out of boiled brains or what but it wouldn't bother me if the world ran out of head cheese tomorrow."

#juan, for a person who relishes to be considered a culinary expert, your lack of knowledge about head cheese is nothin short of astonishing.

I may not be such a strong advocate of head cheese as JLM, but head cheese made by a reputable HUNGARIAN butcher is a delicacy of first order.

Like a gay friend of mine told me once, don't knock it if you never tried it.

BTW, what do you think of haggis?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"Head cheese is disgusting stuff just to look at, let alone eat. I don't know if it is made out of boiled brains or what but it wouldn't bother me if the world ran out of head cheese tomorrow."

#juan, for a person who relishes to be considered a culinary expert, your lack of knowledge about head cheese is nothin short of astonishing.

I may not be such a strong advocate of head cheese as JLM, but head cheese made by a reputable HUNGARIAN butcher is a delicacy of first order.

Jack, I know what head cheese is. I just don't like the stuff. Let's face it, Knowledge of head cheese is a fringe thing at best.
Hungarian head cheese would make it an even smaller fringe.
I don't like Haggis either. Oatmeal and offal cooked in a sheep's intestine does not excite my taste buds.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hungarian head cheese is indeed excellent. I've never tried Haggis, it doesn't particularly appeal to me, but given the opportunity I wouldn't be afraid of it.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
JLM, what I found that Hungarian butchers are not as timid using salt, pepper and especially GARLIC as creators of other head cheeses.

BTW, while haggis is stuff stuffed into a sheep's stomach, genuine Hungarian head cheese is stuff stuffed into a pig's stomach.

No need to be quesy about either, any more than being quesy about hot dogs or hamburgers.