free

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
JLM, what I found that Hungarian butchers are not as timid using salt, pepper and especially GARLIC as creators of other head cheeses.

BTW, while haggis is stuff stuffed into a sheep's stomach, genuine Hungarian head cheese is stuff stuffed into a pig's stomach.

No need to be quesy about either, any more than being quesy about hot dogs or hamburgers.

I find it amusing that people will more willingly eat stuff cooked in intestine than stuff cooked in stomach. Really, if you had to just grab upon butchering, wouldn't the stomach seem like the more likely food choice? lol.

Personally though, I avoid organ meats due to their general nature as the first carriers of infections and toxins, so, Haggis appeals to me even less than head cheese.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find it amusing that people will more willingly eat stuff cooked in intestine than stuff cooked in stomach. Really, if you had to just grab upon butchering, wouldn't the stomach seem like the more likely food choice? lol.

Personally though, I avoid organ meats due to their general nature as the first carriers of infections and toxins, so, Haggis appeals to me even less than head cheese.

Much as I love organ meats I too, avoid them for that reason. It is hard however to find a meal that beats tender liver & onions and spuds smothered in gravy.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Much as I love organ meats I too, avoid them for that reason. It is hard however to find a meal that beats tender liver & onions and spuds smothered in gravy.

JLM, try beef tongue or stuffed beef heart prepared in a slow cooker. Or beef and kidney pie. Google and thou shall find.

And liver from any animal is a delicacy, if and when prepared properly.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, try beef tongue or stuffed beef heart prepared in a slow cooker. Or beef and kidney pie. Google and thou shall find.

And liver from any animal is a delicacy, if and when prepared properly.

Tongue is one of the few foods that I've never acquired the stomach for.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O.......What the hell's wrong with steak??

Tbone, or rib, that is?

But, speaking of tongue.

Many many years ago, a very lovely French Canadian lady made some beef tongue for her family, and i was allowed, invited, if you will...........or even won't........to go to her house and partake.

Beef tongue, with potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc., in one pot...............Damn, it was delicious!!

Since then I've experienced hot tongue and cold shoulder, but nothing to surpass that culinary masterpiece. T'was fantastic.

Every time I see a cow lick its ass, I get hungry.8O

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
8O.......What the hell's wrong with steak??

Tbone, or rib, that is?

But, speaking of tongue.

Many many years ago, a very lovely French Canadian lady made some beef tongue for her family, and i was allowed, invited, if you will...........or even won't........to go to her house and partake.

Beef tongue, with potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc., in one pot...............Damn, it was delicious!!

Since then I've experienced hot tongue and cold shoulder, but nothing to surpass that culinary masterpiece. T'was fantastic.

Every time I see a cow lick its ass, I get hungry.8O

Now that's funny Nuggler..