Facebook causes depression......

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not only does FB cause depression, but apparently it causes some people to stop thinking at all

Sure it doesn't simply reveal how many f*cking idiots there are?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

-- Mark Twain

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

LewisScott

Nominee Member
Dec 7, 2020
This is nothing new because people tend to show things which don't really exist and other people get depressed when they do not have those things. For instance, a couple may keep fighting the entire day, but would post pictures with each other in a very loving way and people get jealous of this. Well, at this age, people must have brains to not take everything on social media so seriously.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
The secret history of Facebook depression

Read more: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-secret-history-facebook-depression.html

Coming soon:

Posting facebook memes makes you stupid

To early users, the internet held such promise for people and communities. Now, on the eve of Facebook's 15th birthday, social media is making people depressed. What happened?

Since it launched in 2004, Facebook has been working to "give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected."
This sounds great. But is it, actually?
Does connecting with everyone you've ever met ever on Facebook make you happy? Does sharing everything with them on Facebook make you jump out of your seat with joy? Probably not.
In fact, if the research is any indication, you may actually be finding Facebook and other social media sites aren't so great for your mental health. Instead of feeling blissfully open and connected with your friends, you feel inadequate or maybe even a bit depressed.
Is social media making us sad because technology is inherently alienating? Is Facebook actually just evil?
We've been asking questions about technology like this for a rather long time. But the answer is a bit more complicated.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-secret-history-facebook-depression.html#jCp
To early users, the internet held such promise for people and communities. Now, on the eve of Facebook's 15th birthday, social media is making people depressed. What happened?

Since it launched in 2004, Facebook has been working to "give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected."
Does connecting with everyone you've ever met ever on Facebook make you happy? Does sharing everything with them on Facebook make you jump out of your seat with joy? Probably not.
In fact, if the research is any indication, you may actually be finding Facebook and other social media sites aren't so great for your mental health. Instead of feeling blissfully open and connected with your friends, you feel inadequate or maybe even a bit depressed.
Is social media making us sad because technology is inherently alienating? Is Facebook actually just evil?
We've been asking questions about technology like this for a rather long time. But the answer is a bit more complicated.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-secret-history-facebook-depression.html#jCp

so does twitter and canadian content. ;)

Reactions: petros

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
I enjoy Facebook but I also have it set up so that I use it, not have it use me.
I've turned off my newsfeed for one so that I only see what I want to see.
It's a great connector tool but I can see how people will let it take the steering wheel if they are not careful.

ClaireScott

Jan 20, 2021
Well, I'm not sure if Facebook causes depression. I think Instagram is much worse. When you see all those pictures of someone's luxury and entertaining life you start to believe that your own life is awful. Even if half of the photos are staged. And also don't forget about cyberbullying cause I think that's what causes depression in most cases. I read a story about a high school girl whose boyfriend posted her private photos on Facebook and all her classmates discussed them. She was so depressed that she almost committed suicide. And it's always hard when it affects children cause their psyche is still unstable. I've read the red vein kratom review a few days ago and it says that some herbs can reduce depression and anxiety without any side effects. I think it's what high school kids need to withstand the pressure.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Its crazy. But its becoming more the norm to be selfish for attention these days. No one posts the bad things happening to them, like ok. Everyone needs to be in control.

The higher the pedestal you put yourself on the harder the fall.