Election day

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There were hundreds of people who were unable to cast a ballot in last night's election. The elderly, the disabled and single mother's with kids were especially effected by very long line-ups that saw voters standing for hours on end and fewer polling stations due to Covid regulations.

I also read that many wanting to mail-in their ballots had nothing but problems trying to do so.

Elections Canada had warned the government of these problems and that more time was needed to ensure that everyone who wanted to was able to vote. They were ignored and their concerns pushed aside.

The blame for this lies squarely at the feet of the feckless, arrogant, narcissistic twat that called the election.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
One can’t draw exact parallels between how Canadians vote under first-past-the-post and how they may vote under proportional representation, but when “don’t split the left!” is one of the Liberals’ main campaign messages, it’s fair to assume the party benefits greatly from the status quo. http://apple.news/ACuSTZyaeRE-VO_SwEPyqLw
The problem with this is you can only make it so far in a democracy where the popular vote consistently doesn’t match the ultimate winner before people begin to lose faith in the entire system. Some of them, as we’ve already seen, will champion good-faith solutions via reform, but a sizable amount will simply decide the game is rigged. Enter increased civil unrest and a movement whose goal isn’t just to win power, but to destabilize and discredit democracy and government as we know it.
1632317426025.jpeg
It’s no wonder Trudeau failed to deliver on his promise for electoral reform; if he had, he may not still be prime minister.

At time of writing, Trudeau’s Liberals earned 32.2 per cent of the national vote in Canada’s 44th federal election, but will walk away with what looks like 158 seats — that’s 44.9 per cent of parliament. The Conservatives earned 34.4 per cent of the national vote and will secure 119 seats or 35.2 per cent of parliament. Meanwhile, the NDP earned 17.7 per cent of the vote and should win 25 seats, a mere seven per cent of parliament.

Vote efficiency refers to how much a single vote counts toward actually securing a seat. The Liberals have the highest vote efficiency because they excel at turning fewer overall votes into a higher seat count. The Conservative’s vote efficiency is lower, but more aligns with what we’d see in a proportional representation system.

The NDP’s vote efficiency is basically a bad joke and affects not just their own party, but Conservatives’ chances of winning, too. This is because it’s by far the Liberals who benefit most from our first-past-the-post electoral system’s stifling of the NDP vote.

This isn’t an anomaly. The results are remarkably similar to those of 2019, where Conservatives also won the popular vote but lost the election, and the NDP’s seat results underwhelmed when compared to their actual support.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
So question:

In my riding, there was no one worth voting for.

But they don't count spoiled ballots or anything that suggest displeasure of this fact.

What would you suggest to people who have no one but still want to vote?
You aren't alone only 59% voter turn out I read

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I wasn't surprised at the results but I had hoped that the PPC would have gotten 1 or 2 seats, mainly to make things interesting & to find out how they'd do. The asinine PM has decided that he's received a "clear mandate" - where on earth did he get the idea that having a 2nd minority in parliament meant anything different than the previous parliament and why didn't he have a "clear mandate" then? I think what he meant to say was - I was HOPING for a clear mandate but that didn't happen and I'm disappointed because Climate Change is in crisis & I know that by taxing the hell out of you that I'll be ok but you won't (ha ha ha).

He's a disgusting individual & anyone who falls for the Climate Change B.S. is just as ignorant at he is.

Just sayin' - and I'm REALLY trying to be nice but it's soooooooo hard!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Three times in Canada's 154 year history the party with the most votes did not get to form gov't.
In 2019, the Conservatives beat the Liberals by 221,000 votes.
In 2021 the Conservatives beat the Liberals by 277,000 votes.
Now, I like FPTP.....I think it is the best way to elect gov'ts in a country as huge and regionally diverse as Canada. It prevents (usually) power concentrating in one particular region over the others.
Unfortunately, this has failed. Central Canada is controlling the entire country..........the Laurentian Elite, despite them losing the popular vote.....twice.
The rage this inspires is not good for Canada.
Rule exclusively from Quebec and Toronto, when they do not command a plurality of votes, yet canted entirely to the cultural wishes of urbanites is not good for Canada.
The Liberal Party is not good for Canada under this type of divisive leadership.
It ain't good.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I wasn't surprised at the results but I had hoped that the PPC would have gotten 1 or 2 seats, mainly to make things interesting & to find out how they'd do. The asinine PM has decided that he's received a "clear mandate" - where on earth did he get the idea that having a 2nd minority in parliament meant anything different than the previous parliament and why didn't he have a "clear mandate" then? I think what he meant to say was - I was HOPING for a clear mandate but that didn't happen and I'm disappointed because Climate Change is in crisis & I know that by taxing the hell out of you that I'll be ok but you won't (ha ha ha).

He's a disgusting individual & anyone who falls for the Climate Change B.S. is just as ignorant at he is.

Just sayin' - and I'm REALLY trying to be nice but it's soooooooo hard!!
His incessant lying is beyond the pale! And every time he lies he has that goofy smirk on his face!

Reactions: Mowich

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think CBC has given him all the seats and pronounced him emperor.
From CJME News:

Premier Scott Moe offered a blunt assessment Tuesday of the federal election.

“Let’s be clear: This was the most pointless election in Canada’s history,” Moe told reporters at the Saskatchewan Legislative Building.

When Parliament was dissolved, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals had a minority government with 155 of 338 seats. After Monday’s balloting, the Liberals again have a minority, this time with 158 seats.

The Conservatives were elected or leading in 119 ridings after votes were counted Monday, two fewer seats than they had before the election. The Bloc Quebecois was up two seats to 34, the NDP was up one to 25 and the Green Party had two seats.

The Conservatives held on to all 14 ridings in Saskatchewan.

With numbers in the House of Commons shaking out nearly the same as they were after the 2019 election, Moe said nothing changed even after five weeks and $600 million were spent on the campaign.

“This time and money could have been spent working to address real issues that are facing Canadians and facing Canadians that reside here in Saskatchewan,” he said.

Among the priorities Moe would have liked to see are funding for health care, increasing vaccination rates, and positioning the country as a leader in the economic recovery from the pandemic. Moe said instead, the prime minister focused on his own “political ambitions.”

With the Liberal Party only capturing about 10 per cent of the vote in Saskatchewan, Moe said that 90 per cent of the province didn’t want Trudeau as prime minister.

“It’s my job to represent the people of the province of Saskatchewan and so when I need to stand up against — whether it’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, or the person and the party that’s supporting him, (the NDP’s) Jagmeet Singh — I most certainly am going to do that,” said Moe.

Moe seemed to take personally some of what happened in the federal campaign, calling Trudeau’s rhetoric “divisive.”

“This was a federal government that was highlighting anything that they could in a divisive nature between the federal Liberal party and a certain number of provinces that may be led by a different party,” said Moe.

“It’s unfortunate that we have a prime minister that has used the last five weeks during this election campaign to further create divisions across this nation.”

In particular, Moe defended Saskatchewan’s low vaccination rates which came up in the campaign. Moe tried to turn it around and blame it on the federal government and prime minister instead, saying many of the communities in the province with the lowest vaccination rates are Indigenous communities, which are under federal jurisdiction.

Saskatchewan has been able to work well with the federal government in the past, according to Moe, and he said he will work with it in future as well.

“I would ask him, as premier, on behalf of the people of this province of Saskatchewan to work closely with this province of Saskatchewan, to quit putting forward these divisions like you did in the election campaign (and) like you have over the course of the last five years from time to time,” said Moe.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From CJME News:

“Let’s be clear: This was the most pointless election in Canada’s history,” Moe told reporters at the Saskatchewan Legislative Building.

When Parliament was dissolved, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals had a minority government with 155 of 338 seats. After Monday’s balloting, the Liberals again have a minority, this time with 158 seats.

The Conservatives were elected or leading in 119 ridings after votes were counted Monday, two fewer seats than they had before the election. The Bloc Quebecois was up two seats to 34, the NDP was up one to 25 and the Green Party had two seats.

With numbers in the House of Commons shaking out nearly the same as they were after the 2019 election, Moe said nothing changed even after five weeks and $600 million were spent on the campaign.

“This time and money could have been spent working to address real issues that are facing Canadians and facing Canadians that reside here in Saskatchewan,” he said.

Among the priorities Moe would have liked to see are funding for health care, increasing vaccination rates, and positioning the country as a leader in the economic recovery from the pandemic. Moe said instead, the prime minister focused on his own “political ambitions.”

With the Liberal Party only capturing about 10 per cent of the vote in Saskatchewan, Moe said that 90 per cent of the province didn’t want Trudeau as prime minister.

“It’s my job to represent the people of the province of Saskatchewan and so when I need to stand up against — whether it’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, or the person and the party that’s supporting him, (the NDP’s) Jagmeet Singh — I most certainly am going to do that,” said Moe.

Moe seemed to take personally some of what happened in the federal campaign, calling Trudeau’s rhetoric “divisive.”

“This was a federal government that was highlighting anything that they could in a divisive nature between the federal Liberal party and a certain number of provinces that may be led by a different party,” said Moe.

“It’s unfortunate that we have a prime minister that has used the last five weeks during this election campaign to further create divisions across this nation.”

In particular, Moe defended Saskatchewan’s low vaccination rates which came up in the campaign. Moe tried to turn it around and blame it on the federal government and prime minister instead, saying many of the communities in the province with the lowest vaccination rates are Indigenous communities, which are under federal jurisdiction.

Saskatchewan has been able to work well with the federal government in the past, according to Moe, and he said he will work with it in future as well.

“I would ask him, as premier, on behalf of the people of this province of Saskatchewan to work closely with this province of Saskatchewan, to quit putting forward these divisions like you did in the election campaign (and) like you have over the course of the last five years from time to time,” said Moe.
Maybe it's time posters thought about participating on a collaborative letter to Justin telling him to STOP BEING SUCH A PATHETIC LIAR!

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
From CJME News:

I wish we had a Premier like that instead of a lying toady.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh boy, at least another 2 years of Groper's politics of division and slitting our economic throats for the benefit of China, Russia, the EU, India and the US.

I know the other candidates were shit too but when you vote for a PROVEN Canada-hating Quebec nationalist it means you hate Canada as well. Which means you are now officially my enemy. I will NOT be speaking to ANY Groper supporters with even a smidgeon of respect or tolerance from here on out. To put it bluntly, if you're a Groper groupie stay the fuck out of my face.
Look on the bright side. Least y'all don't have a PM with a girl's name.

Reactions: Ron in Regina