Did the Bush Administration deceive Americans into supporting the Iraq war?

Did the Bush administration deceive Americans into supporting the Iraq war?

• Total voters

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Please vote in the poll above. You can vote multiple times and the results are public.

Did the Bush Administration deliberately deceive Americans into supporting the 2003 war against Iraq?

A March 6, 2003, Presidential press conference where President Bush outlines justification for war:

...Iraqi operatives continue to hide biological and chemical agents to avoid detection by inspectors. In some cases, these materials have been moved to different locations every 12 to 24 hours, or placed in vehicles that are in residential neighborhoods...

... Iraqi weapons scientists continue to be threatened with harm should they cooperate with U.N. inspectors....

...These are not the actions of a regime that is disarming. These are the actions of a regime engaged in a willful charade. These are the actions of a regime that systematically and deliberately is defying the world. If the Iraqi regime were disarming, we would know it, because we would see it. Iraq's weapons would be presented to inspectors, and the world would witness their destruction. Instead, with the world demanding disarmament, and more than 200,000 troops positioned near his country, Saddam Hussein's response is to produce a few weapons for show, while he hides the rest and builds even more...

... If the world fails to confront the threat posed by the Iraqi regime, refusing to use force, even as a last resort, free nations would assume immense and unacceptable risks. The attacks of September the 11th, 2001 showed what the enemies of America did with four airplanes. We will not wait to see what terrorists or terrorist states could do with weapons of mass destruction.

We are determined to confront threats wherever they arise. I will not leave the American people at the mercy of the Iraqi dictator and his weapons...

...Saddam Hussein hasn't disarmed....

President George Bush Discusses Iraq in National Press Conference

Meanwhile Chief UN Weapon Inspector wrote this in a report to the UN Security Council:

SECURITY COUNCIL 7 MARCH 2003
Oral introduction of the 12th quarterly report of UNMOVIC
Executive Chairman Dr. Hans Blix​

...How much time would it take to resolve the key remaining disarmament tasks? While cooperation can and is to be immediate, disarmament and at any rate the verification of it cannot be instant. Even with a proactive Iraqi attitude, induced by continued outside pressure, it would still take some time to verify sites and items, analyse documents, interview relevant persons, and draw conclusions. It would not take years, nor weeks, but months. Neither governments nor inspectors would want disarmament inspection to go on forever. However, it must be remembered that in accordance with the governing resolutions, a sustained inspection and monitoring system is to remain in place after verified disarmament to give confidence and to strike an alarm, if signs were seen of the revival of any proscribed weapons programmes.

Security Council 7 March 2003

More related information:

THREATS AND RESPONSES: ARMS INSPECTIONS; IRAQ SAYS REPORT TO THE U.N. SHOWS NO BANNED ARMS
December 08, 2002

Iraq today delivered a 12,000-page declaration on banned weapons to the United Nations, meeting a Security Council deadline with more than 24 hours to spare. Officials said the documents confirmed, in rebuttal of American and British claims, that Saddam Hussein's government had no weapons of mass destruction and no current programs to develop them....

THREATS AND RESPONSES: ARMS INSPECTIONS; IRAQ SAYS REPORT TO THE U.N. SHOWS NO BANNED ARMS - New York Times

September 9, 2003
Blix Says Iraq's Weapons Declaration May Have Been True

Iraq may have been truthful when it told the UN Security Council in December that it did not have chemical, biological or nuclear weapons, a former chief UN weapons inspector said. The declaration, submitted December 7 by the government of then-Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, was quickly dismissed as false and incomplete by the United States and Britain, which accused Baghdad of failing to disarm as required by Security Council Resolution 1441. These charges were later used by Washington and London to justify the invasion of the country in late March. But more than four months after US President George W. Bush declared victory in Iraq, former chief UN weapons inspector Hans Blix said facts presented by Iraq in the 12,000-page document may have been accurate.

"With this long period, I'm inclined to think that the Iraqi statement that they destroyed all the biological and chemical weapons, which they had in the summer of 1991 may well be the truth," Blix told CNN television....

Blix Says Iraq's Weapons Declaration May Have Been True

The Senate Report on Iraqi WMD Intelligence (formally, the "Report of the Select Committee on Intelligence on the U.S. Intelligence Community's Prewar Intelligence Assessments on Iraq") was the report by the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence concerning the U.S. intelligence community's assessments of Iraq during the time leading up to the 2003 U.S. invasion. The report, which was released on July 9, 2004, identified numerous failures in the intelligence-gathering and -analysis process. The report found that these failures led to the creation of inaccurate materials that misled both government policy makers and the American public.
Senate Report on Pre-war Intelligence on Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iraq had no WMD: the final verdict
18 September 2004
The comprehensive 15-month search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq has concluded that the only chemical or biological agents that Saddam Hussein's regime was working on before last year's invasion were small quantities of poisons, most likely for use in assassinations. A draft of the Iraq Survey Group's final report circulating in Washington found no sign of the alleged illegal stockpiles that the US and Britain presented as the justification for going to war, nor did it find any evidence of efforts to reconstitute Iraq's nuclear weapons programme....

Iraq had no WMD: the final verdict | World news | The Guardian

Yes, Iraq Definitely Had WMD, Vast Majority Of Polled Republicans Insist
06/21/2012
.... The poll, constructed by Dartmouth government professor Benjamin Valentino and conducted by YouGov from April 26 to May 2, found that fully 63 percent of Republican respondents still believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded in 2003. By contrast, 27 percent of independents and 15 percent of Democrats shared that view....

Yes, Iraq Definitely Had WMD, Vast Majority Of Polled Republicans Insist

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think Cheney and Rumsfeld deceived Bush. Bush was too dumb to figure out a lie like that.

If you look closely, you will see just how much Bush looked like Howdy Doody.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This an opportunity for some people to get off the fence, clearly state where they stand and state what they believe. The Poll is public, so we can see how everyone voted. My votes shouldn't come as a surprise.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
George Bush is the CiC. He and his administration made the case for war and gave the orders to attack Iraq.

Please vote in the poll or offer another opinion other than the ones I listed.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You didnt know this before?

Apparently a majority of Americans who vote republican think Iraq had WMDs when the US invaded. Hopefully someone here believes this and is willing to to say so.

I did vote and along the lines you suggested choice #1. And the other opinion is included in my post previous to this post.
I'm trying not to suggest anything. I have my opinion, but I legitimately tried to give people choices that reflect their opinion.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
So far 100% of respondents agree with me that the Bush administration deliberately deceived the American public.

I'm curious to know if anyone here believes that the Bush administration claims about Iraq's WMDs were truthful.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Even worse they deceived others but not too many others, there were a lot of countries that
wanted the oil. Saddam was actually the one person who prevented a lot of the nonsense
we are going through now. He didn't get all worked up about international rules in a lawless
part of the world.
In addition America even took wonderful nations like Syria off the terror nation list to get them
too help. This whole thing was a smoke screen and I believe the real President was the Vice
President. Bush was more like Gilligan being in charge of the Island and we all know how
that turned out

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
All anyone needs to read is the Downing Street Memo which I have posted on this forum multiple times and you will see that the answer is yes. Those truths cost Tony Blair his job and it should have done the same for Bush.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Bush believed what he said. It just turned out to be false. Either way, one less fascist regime around. Thats a plus. Who knows if it'll last though.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I think Bush believed what he said. It just turned out to be false. Either way, one less fascist regime around. Thats a plus. Who knows if it'll last though.
Thank you WLDB, for having the guts to express your opinion even though most people who voted here disagree with you.

Assuming you are correct and that this was all just mistake based on faulty intel. Do you think that someone should be held accountable for making mistakes which cost thousands of US and allied soldiers lives, as well as the lives of at least 30,000 Iraqi soldiers and hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians?

Also, I have to ask how you are able to justify your opinion.

Given that:

1) Iraq's December 2002 WMD declaration to the UNSC appears to be accurate and complete (a decade later and nothing found in Iraq since that declaration contradicts their declaration)

2) The UNMOVIC chief Blix stated on March 7, 2003, just a few weeks before the US declared war, that Iraq was cooperating with weapon inspections and all remaining disarmament issues would be resolved within a few months

3) The Downing Street Memo indicates that the decision for war had already been made nearly a year before the invasion and that it was US policy to use all means to justify war and provoke Iraq into actions which would justify war.

Also what actions do you think Iraq could have taken to avoid a war that cost so many Iraqi lives?

Do you think the profit motive of big oil companies and other large corporations like Halliburton influenced Bush's decision to go to war?

Do you believe that the decision was based purely on a perceived Iraqi WMD threat?

Also after all the death and destruction (about 1/40 of the population dead and 1/20 lost their homes), do you believe that that Iraqis are better off as a result of this war?

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think Cheney and Rumsfeld deceived Bush. Bush was too dumb to figure out a lie like that.

If you look closely, you will see just how much Bush looked like Howdy Doody.

Cheney and Rummy said , "Georgie", here's what we're gonna do, and all of us are going to make out like ****ing bandits. The dumfukks will look at us all rolled up in the flag, and do anything we suggest - including getting killed.

But, we gotta have something like ----er, call it "Homeland Security" or somesuch sh it *** name, wrap it in the flag too, so we can toss anyone who doesn't agree with us, in the can - without trial or charges - forever.

Georgie, I tell ya, it's a lock.

Oh yah. We gotta kill Sadass and maybe a few thousand innocent collateral damage.

You in ??

Howdy Doody (thanks Cliffy) said "fukkin aye" , and the rest is history.

..........20th C according to Nugg.............sort of.

PS: Next time you ingest diet pepsi or coke, thank Rummy for the aspertame. Google that.