Canadian values vs. Multiculturalism

Dessolution

Apr 30, 2010
As someone added, Brittan and France are multiculturalism gone wrong. You can also add Australia to that list lol constant Indian bashing, Cronulla Riots where a Lebanese Australian born kid got lynched from hundreds white aussies in the beach and the mob lost control and later mobbed a muslim girl I think, in the streets of Sydney (who was just taking a walk and bumped into them), and more erupting violence in a changing society of barely 22 million people.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"Canadian Values are about Multiculturalism."

Really?

I believe that is Geronimo on the right......

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
At the outset of this discussion, let me make very clear that I support our unique Canadian take on multiculturalism — that is, the “Canadian mosaïc”. However, let me be just as clear that I feel there should be developed an understanding, perhaps even a codified one, of roles and responsibilities for all parties involved (because let’s face it, immigration is not just a task for immigrants, and it is not just a task for existing Canadians; it is an all-party national effort).

We should be very clear that although we encourage Canadians to hold on to their heritage, and to be proud of their heritage, they are (once arrived) first and foremost Canadian. There must be an understanding that English and French are our official languages, and there will be no federal or provincial monies spent to accomodate any languages other than those official languages when providing services. At the same time, it may be worth the one-off cost to prepare a list of language courses and resources in each Canadian region to provide to new Canadians to assist in the transition to what is often a brand-new language(s).

There should also be a very clear understanding of what the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms means for Canadians, and what it means for how a new Canadian should govern their own behaviour. Let’s face it, many new Canadians leave their own countries to escape discrimination and less-than-ideal national principles, but many new Canadians seem surprised at just how progressive the Western world (North America in particular) really is. New Canadians should not come to Canada with the objective of changing it into their home country; they should be encouraged to enrich the tapestry of our own mosaïc with their food, their music, their art and history, but not with the objective of entrenching foreign customs and laws into our own.

These things should be made much more clear than they currently are by Citizenship and Immigration Canada at the very outset of an application for citizenship or residence. And dare I say, we should introduce a system whereby citizenships and residences are probationary for a predetermined period of time, during which time repeated or serious breaches of such codified Canadian norms would result in our parting of company.

:cool::cool::cool::canada:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
It isn't ok to cater to other Canadian cultures, but it is ok to cater to English and French speaking Canadians. As long as you become like the rest of us, you can be yourself. I see. We should be the same as long as it is English-speaking, white, same religion, same gender, etc.

You will all become one with the Canada. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.... eh.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
"Canadian Values are about Multiculturalism."

Really?

That what it is Now... it's about multiculturalism.

But hey, if you and others want to go back to the old assimilation days of English rule where French and Natives (among other cultures) had to adopt to the English way of life, then your above picture would suit nicely.

Let's not forget that Canada isn't the only country with a history of oppressing the natives of a land (England, US, Australia, etc.)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But hey, if you and others want to go back to the old assimilation days of English rule where French and Natives (among other cultures) had to adopt to the English way of life, then your above picture would suit nicely.
The very fact that both Quebec and Native Nations such as the Haudenosaunee still fight to protect their sovereignty, dictates otherwise.

Let's not forget that Canada isn't the only country with a history of oppressing the natives of a land (England, US, Australia, etc.)
Let's not gloss over the fact that no other country has used both its power and its standing as a Commonwealth Nation, to force other Nations to bloke Native Nations better fitting the definition of sovereign state from joining international communities. ;-)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Mutliculturalism is a Canadian value, as Praxius pointed out, and one that has worked very well for the most part. The idea of adopting ideas from immigrants instead of forcing them to conform 100% to the mainstream culture has added successfully to Canada's diversity. The problem with multiculturalism exists when some newly arrived minorities demand that the more extreme elements of their culture such as female circumcision, Sharia Law, and the subjugation of women become part of Canadian culture.

Agreed and that is where I draw the line as well.... they still have every right to seek these things being implemented or have the laws changed to allow them, everybody's allowed to at least try.... however with our existing charter, rights, laws, etc... they will fail and they should be fully aware that if any of them attempt any of the above and it breaks the law, they will be punished. If they can not accept that our laws protect people from those things and that they will never become a part of Canada.... they can leave for another country.

But so long as they follow the proper procedures and steps to seek what they want peacefully, I have no place to complain.

I can counter-argue on something and speak my mind just as freely against something I oppose and may feel is wrong... but if law and the courts see things their way.... so be it.

Historically, Canada has long encouraged a form of preserving the cultures of immigrant groups, even going so far as to settle 19th and early 20th immigrants in what was called "Block Settlements." The Canadian west is dotted with the remnants of these block settlements as seen in the names of various communities such as Gimli (Iceland), Bruderheim (Germany), and Viking (Norway), just to mention a few.

Don't forget the Little Italy, China Towns and such that are all over the country.

The idea was to provide immigrants with a community they could fit into without the usual difficulty experienced by many newcomers. Eventually these communities became just as Canadian as the rest of the country.

Also agreed.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The very fact that both Quebec and Native Nations such as the Haudenosaunee still fight to protect their sovereignty, dictates otherwise.

Let's not gloss over the fact that no other country has used both its power and its standing as a Commonwealth Nation, to force other Nations to bloke Native Nations better fitting the definition of sovereign state from joining international communities. ;-)

Sounds like the same thing happening to Quebec when it came to them trying to get support from France and other nations for their separation movement.... and Canada blocked them as well.

I'm not saying it's right.... and that indeed is something that should be addressed.... but to compare what's happening today, to what happened back when that photo was shot, is a tad bit on the exaggerated side.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
When you think about it what is Canadian Values?

In the beginning Canada had the French who wanted beaver and the English who wanted the pelts and the Natives who just watched

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sounds like the same thing happening to Quebec when it came to them trying to get support from France and other nations for their separation movement.... and Canada blocked them as well.
I think you need to look into Canadian history more, as well as a healthy dose of education on what is and isn't a sovereign state.

I'm not saying it's right.... and that indeed is something that should be addressed.... but to compare what's happening today, to what happened back when that photo was shot, is a tad bit on the exaggerated side.
Was that photo taken in the 1950's?

When you think about it what is Canadian Values?
You tell us Libby, you've claimed your hero created them out of thin air enough times.

In the beginning Canada had the French who wanted beaver and the English who wanted the pelts and the Natives who just watched

Someone else who needs a history lesson.

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Supporters of Canadian terror suspects arrive at court June 12, 2006 in Brampton, Ont
“There is no ambiguity on this question: If you want to [attend] our classes, if you want to integrate in Quebec society, here our values are that we want to see your face,” James said, adding that legislation to deal with similar incidents would soon be introduced.

Canada Immigrants | Ethnic Minority | Muslim Dress

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I think you need to look into Canadian history more, as well as a healthy dose of education on what is and isn't a sovereign state.

..... Someone else who needs a history lesson.

Well gee Bear, since you're such a big expert on everything and none of us apparently know wtf we're talking about, how about you share some of that wonderful worldly knowledge you have tucked away in that little nugget in your head you call a brain?

You sure like to tell everybody they're wrong and don't know what they're talking about, so you must know the real answers.... so hop to it expert.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Supporters of Canadian terror suspects arrive at court June 12, 2006 in Brampton, Ont
“There is no ambiguity on this question: If you want to [attend] our classes, if you want to integrate in Quebec society, here our values are that we want to see your face,” James said, adding that legislation to deal with similar incidents would soon be introduced.

Canada Immigrants | Ethnic Minority | Muslim Dress

Some think that would be racist...

As I said... do EXACTLY as the immigrants want and then you will not be racist. If you try to impede them from doing what they want you are a bigot. Foresake your culture for theirs and all should be well and correct.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Some think that would be racist...

As I said... do EXACTLY as the immigrants want and then you will not be racist. If you try to impede them from doing what they want you are a bigot. Foresake your culture for theirs and all should be well and correct.

As I see it, immigrants are allowed to practice whatever faith they want, do whatever jobs they want, teach whatever they want, live wherever they want, marry whoever they want, wear whatever they want, etc. etc..... so long as it doesn't break any laws or puts others in harms way.

Once they step over that line, I couldn't care less what their customs are, lock em up or ship em out.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

You will all become one with the Canada. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.... eh.
lol Cute.

Anyway, either we are multicultural and we keep making things easier for anyone of any culture to live in Canada or we aren't multicultural and all you palefaces, Asians, Africans, Aussies, Yerpeens, etc. should get off Turtle Island. lol

Dessolution

Apr 30, 2010
It's funny how racism works here in canada. Because of the canadian tag line, most multicultural country in the world" which many are proud of, in a real subtle manner, I get more racist remarks and insulting jokes from brown indians because of my darker skin color then whites.

Which is ironic considering I never been on the receiving end of racism from whites at all in my life.

I can honestly say, Canada is a far better country then any other in the world when it comes to tackling racism and adapting immigrants.

Good god the asians know how to make a cake or what? it's to die for. Period.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As I see it, immigrants are allowed to practice whatever faith they want, do whatever jobs they want, teach whatever they want, live wherever they want, marry whoever they want, wear whatever they want, etc. etc..... so long as it doesn't break any laws or puts others in harms way.

Once they step over that line, I couldn't care less what their customs are, lock em up or ship em out.

Well thats all we're trying to do here in the SW states. Nevertheless...its considered racist.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well thats all we're trying to do here in the SW states. Nevertheless...its considered racist.

Well if that's what they're doing, I don't see it as racist.... so long as they have the same equal rights and equal chance to change things like any other citizen can through the right processes, there's no room for complaining.

The moment someone breaks the law and justifies it as part of their culture, they know damn well it's against the law, thus they lost any rights to complain, culture be damned.

But, say the immigrant is doing something perfectly legal that's based on their own customs, and someone complains or tries to force them to not do that thing (when they're legally allowed to) that's where I draw the line and that person's cultural differences should be protected.

Reactions: AnnaG

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's funny how racism works here in canada. Because of the canadian tag line, most multicultural country in the world" which many are proud of, in a real subtle manner, I get more racist remarks and insulting jokes from brown indians because of my darker skin color then whites.

Which is ironic considering I never been on the receiving end of racism from whites at all in my life.
Really? WOW! I'm the polar opposite of you. I have only ever heard one bigoted remark directed at me in my life and that was in a pub and was by a paleface. The guy called me "squaw". Most of the other bigoted things I've heard were more to do with gender.

I can honestly say, Canada is a far better country then any other in the world when it comes to tackling racism and adapting immigrants.
I agree.

Good god the asians know how to make a cake or what? it's to die for. Period.
I don't know about that but I sure love Japanese food. :D