Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Firstly, you obviously have a problem with reading comprehension. I already said it's not about me. I'd quit alcohol cold turkey myself once out of the military.
No, it's all about you. It's about you wanting to decide for every other adult. Whatever your reasons, be it lack of self-control or your addictive personality or you just thinking you are better able to determine what's best for other adults you are wrong in the assumption you get to decide anything for anybody but yourself.
Secondly, you obviously don't understand basic marketing psychology. If you're at a shop and not looking for chocolate, you probably won't buy it if you don't see it. You might still not buy it even if you do see it, but less probably than if you don't. If you don't see it, it probably won't even cross your mind. If you see it, it might.
I'm quite knowledgeable on marketing and advertising. Comes with the degree in commerce.
Now tobacco is different from chocolate due to its nicotine content. So you might think about as soon as you see the curtain
Chocolate can be just as addictive as cigarettes or heroin. Addiction comes from within the person not from the product.
But if it's in a separate shop that sells only tobacco and you have to look for it to find it, you'll think about at least somewhat less.
Wrong again, a smoker will think about it all the time regardless and will find smokes by any means necessary. It's part of the addiction.
To take another example. You pass by a massage parlour and have no idea if it sells sex or not. No biggie.
Wrong again, pretty much every adult and most youth know a massage parlour sells sex.
Now imagine as you walk by a woman walks out topless and starts fondling you. Okay, bad example, you might recoil in shock. But anyway, you get the idea. If you walk by the liquor store and it advertises itself, you are more probably going to go in and buy liquor than if it doesn't all other factors being equal of course.
Wrong again, A woman comes out and starts fondling me she gets punched in the mouth and sued. I can walk by a whole mall full of liquor stores and not buy a damn thing if I don't want liquor at that time. This is ridiculous. You are intimating every adult in the country has absolutely no control over themselves. FFS I know a recovering alcoholic that works next door to one of the liquor stores and they don't have a problem. Self-control buddy, self-control. Something you apparently lack and becuase of that you think every other adult has no self-control either.
So yes, controlling advertising affects consumption and only a child or an idiot would deny that.
A little news flash. Liquor consumption in Canada has not changed in any significant way since they banned the producers from advertising on tv and at sporting events. Advertising only affects those who already lack the mental capacity to control their own thoughts and actions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
By all means, as long as its commercial promotion is prohibited.

Never mind the medicinal properties of the planet what about the hunderd and one other uses that its fibre excells at? Do you understand the dreadful damage this proabition has done to the global economy and do you understand why the low down dirty basturds did it to us?

Hemp milk is yummy and I endulge every day.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If you think chocolate is as addictive as nicotine and opiods, end of discussion.

You're right. You think it is all about the product so not much chance of having an intelligent discourse about the topic but I'll try to explain it just because.

Addiction is in the person, their chemical make-up and personality. An addict will find something to be addicted to. It is in their nature. Take gambling or sex or even chocolate. The addict doesn't crave sex or chocolate or a good poker hand. They crave the chemicals released by such stimuli. If they somehow manage to remove one stimulus from their life odds are they will seek to replace it with another that creates the same chemical release and reaction within their body.

Do you get it yet?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You're right. You think it is all about the product so not much chance of having an intelligent discourse about the topic but I'll try to explain it just because.

Addiction is in the person, their chemical make-up and personality. An addict will find something to be addicted to. It is in their nature. Take gambling or sex or even chocolate. The addict doesn't crave sex or chocolate or a good poker hand. They crave the chemicals released by such stimuli. If they somehow manage to remove one stimulus from their life odds are they will seek to replace it with another that creates the same chemical release and reaction within their body.

Do you get it yet?

Partly true. Gambling can stimulate the dopamine receptors in the brain once it's conditioned to do so. Sex might be somewhat more addictive since the hormonal reactions caused by orgasm could further strengthen the stimulation of the dopamine receptors. Chocolate addiction might be comparable to gambling addiction.

However, opiods stimulated those receptors in a very direct manner. In the other examples above, the chemical comes from conditioning the brain to an activity (except that we add the chemical reaction of irgasm in the case of sex addiction). But in the case of opioids, no specific activity is required other than just finding any way to get it into the blood stream. The chemical is already in the drug and will stimulate the receptors on its own, giving a much stronger high than the weaker behavioural addictions.

I'm not denying that behavioural addictions can be very difficult to kick, especially if ingrained over many years. The the degree to which a person could get addicted to eating chocolate 10 years (if let's say is brain is conditioned to seek it out whenever he is depressed) is about the same as how much he could get addicted to heroin in a few days.

A person hooked on heroin over ten years will be incomparably more addicted to it than a chocolate addict will to chocolate over the same time period.

Yes, THC is far less addictive than nicotine, but still more addictive than chocolate.

Given the choice, I'd rather be addicted to chocolate since it would be a much easier addiction to break.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Partly true. Gambling can stimulate the dopamine receptors in the brain once it's conditioned to do so. Sex might be somewhat more addictive since the hormonal reactions caused by orgasm could further strengthen the stimulation of the dopamine receptors. Chocolate addiction might be comparable to gambling addiction.

However, opiods stimulated those receptors in a very direct manner. In the other examples above, the chemical comes from conditioning the brain to an activity (except that we add the chemical reaction of irgasm in the case of sex addiction). But in the case of opioids, no specific activity is required other than just finding any way to get it into the blood stream. The chemical is already in the drug and will stimulate the receptors on its own, giving a much stronger high than the weaker behavioural addictions.

I'm not denying that behavioural addictions can be very difficult to kick, especially if ingrained over many years. The the degree to which a person could get addicted to eating chocolate 10 years (if let's say is brain is conditioned to seek it out whenever he is depressed) is about the same as how much he could get addicted to heroin in a few days.

A person hooked on heroin over ten years will be incomparably more addicted to it than a chocolate addict will to chocolate over the same time period.

Yes, THC is far less addictive than nicotine, but still more addictive than chocolate.

Given the choice, I'd rather be addicted to chocolate since it would be a much easier addiction to break.

Food addictions are among the hardest to curb. Just have a look arround at the millions of really really overweight couch crushers. They are profoundly addicted to food in many forms. As a matter of fact junk food is probably one of the worst substance addictions.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Food addictions are among the hardest to curb. Just have a look arround at the millions of really really overweight couch crushers. They are profoundly addicted to food in many forms. As a matter of fact junk food is probably one of the worst substance addictions.
Here's what I like and it's really bad for a person. I fry a plate of potatos and then I fry three eggs over easy and put them on top.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
We're now comparing cholesterol to opium, nicotine, alcohol and cannabis?

We probably shouldn't or you will be demanding we hide all the stores that sell eggs and bacon and prevent them from advertising or having open signs and such horrible things.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
We're now comparing cholesterol to opium, nicotine, alcohol and cannabis?

It would appear so. And there's also the fats in soap. Animal fat is plugging up more than just arteries. Sewers have been lined with it for years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe we could just sell cannabis, tobacco, alcohol, and lottery tickets at the checkout counter.

Heck, maybe we could make a Joe Csmel Cartoon for kids too. They'd love him.

Maybe brothels could advertise at the supermarket too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think a lot of people are missing one main point in this discussion. I think when introducing something new to people (Iegally) it should be something that benefits them and I think pot benefits very, very few people and definitely nowhere near the majority.

Line your frying pan with bacon then fry your eggs: A panful of cholesterol - and a yummie brekkie

Actually, there's two kinds of cholesterol............one good, one bad and even a certain amount of the "bad" is necessary for life!