Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Re: Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum

Hey, I have a great idea. Since "everyone" in Canada seems to think the people living in remote, northern communities are doing just great or something, we could resettle those 50,000 refugees north of 60 and provide them the same living conditions too many of our Native communities live in.
Then maybe people will start to wake up when even the refugees start saying, "I'm not living in those f*cking conditions!"

My wife saw an article today stating that as many as HALF of Canada's indigenous population don't have even basic fire protection.
Several have no running water. Many rely solely on fuel shipments to keep their heat and hydro running, delivery of which can be particularly "fun" at any time of the year.
Health care can be spotty at times although infant mortality rates have declined substantially over the last 20+ years.

And all of that isn't even counting the homeless and destitute in our cities. So the question that needs to be asked is, where did all the money suddenly come from to essentially double our annual intake of refugees when there doesn't seem to be any now or in the future to take care of our own little piece of the 3rd world? I mean I can understand the rest of the homeless people in Canada, they carry no political weight whatsoever so who gives a flying fig about them. Except at Christmas time of course. Then the idiots who wouldn't set foot in a soup kitchen or homeless shelter any other time of the year show up not out of any real altruistic reasons, but because "Tis the season" and it's a nice feel good moment for them. Or a photo op.

This latest refugee influx is what I call "fishing for votes". It's a term I first used when Mulroney openly admitted he was throwing the doors open on mass immigration to get the immigrant vote. It's a cheap, transparent ploy. Well, transparent to those who aren't stumbling around blinded by their own ideology.

OR some of those natives living in the middle of nowhere with zero job prospects could move to where there are jobs. Like the rest of us have to.
There is a good reason they do not have basic fire protection as we. Too lazy to volunteer. Apparently the gubmint is supposed to provide every little rez with full time paid fire and ambulance services.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

OR some of those natives living in the middle of nowhere with zero job prospects could move to where there are jobs. Like the rest of us have to.
There is a good reason they do not have basic fire protection as we. Too lazy to volunteer. Apparently the gubmint is supposed to provide every little rez with full time paid fire and ambulance services.
Teach everyone advanced first aid and have then sign a waiver about the 'full-time' guy who can never get there in time to be of much use. Have video capable phones so the most experienced can help with the more complex injuries.

Indians should become business owners rather than being low paid hired hands.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Well, it should be but it's not.
Uhhh yeah. No roads in or out but hey, they should have built their own fire trucks, right? Several reserves don't even have running water, how do you put fires out with no running water and no pump truck because there's no friggin roads to get one there?
Same with ambulance services. For many, being air-lifted is the ONLY way they can get to a hospital because again, there's no roads in or out of many of these remote communities for a standard ambulance.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Norman Spector ‏@nspector4

Thank god Trudeau slowed down; US likely one reason... @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC

Schtev ‏@schtev69

@nspector4 @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC and we all know how well US vetting worked

It's 2015! ‏@politic_a_holic

@nspector4 @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC could it be that Harper was RIGHT???? Nooooo

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Norman Spector ‏@nspector4

Thank god Trudeau slowed down; US likely one reason... @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC

Schtev ‏@schtev69

@nspector4 @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC and we all know how well US vetting worked

It's 2015! ‏@politic_a_holic

@nspector4 @TerryGlavin @tingeyd @JohnMcCallumLPC could it be that Harper was RIGHT???? Nooooo

The Liberals are focused on assuring us that the security issue is not a problem. As if that is the only concern.
I think the other concerns or the anti-refugee people are legitimate and need to be brought into the open.

Increasing the population when the economy is flat-lined is a huge concern.

The needs of our own poor and needy that have been ignored by government are another concern; The feeling is that our own should be looked after first.

Health care is a huge concern. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Ontario the waiting lines for crucial care are much too long and the emergency rooms are already overburdened. Costs are unsustainable. Services are being cut closer every year. What will happen now with the refugees adding to the strain on the system could be disastrous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Politicians and media are playing up the support for refugees and ignoring the opposition. I don't know the majority numbers but I know people are talking and very few are talking support. There are too many negative ramifications to be ignored. Not just the security issue, but the sinking economy and the needs of our own needy being ignored.
How are widowed refugee women with children, most of whom cannot even speak the language, going to be able to support themselves in an economy where jobs are scarce?

I think you and I and several others had that figured out on day 1. :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Apparently the gubmint is supposed to provide every little rez with full time paid fire and ambulance services.
Um... yes, all levels of government should coordinate to ensure that all populated parts of Canada have access to reliable fire protection and ambulatory services. I understand that conservatives generally prefer "small government," but certainly you do not think that government should not have a role to play when it comes to the most basic of protections and services, do you?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
well, Justin Trudeau aims to double the deficit so why the hell not double the number of refugees too?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The one fortunate circumstance here is that the liberals are so inept at managing that so fat we have no where close to the 25000 threatened by year end. Not even 10% yet so the odds of 50000 before trudOwe is removed is quite remote.

Um... yes, all levels of government should coordinate to ensure that all populated parts of Canada have access to reliable fire protection and ambulatory services. I understand that conservatives generally prefer "small government," but certainly you do not think that government should not have a role to play when it comes to the most basic of protections and services, do you?

Local government rightfully should look after such things. The rest of us manage to develope and staff volunteer fire services while mostly holding down full time jobs,often out of town. So logically one would expect a fez with unemployment hovering around 85% should have no trouble finding and retaining volunteers. After all it is their community.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Liberals stonewall on refugees

By Brian on January 11, 2016 9:29 AM | 9 Comments

Remember all those claims of openness and transparency from Justin Trudeau and the Liberals during the election campaign? Fuggedaboutit...

Under the Liberals the immigration department is now taking delays of nearly a year on access to information requests about Syrian refugees.
"Also, it is to be noted that, at this point of the process, the department is working to meet the mandate on Syrian Refugees set by the Prime Minister of Canada," wrote Hélène Bertrand, senior ATIP administrator at Citizenship and Immigration Canada.​
You can read more here.