Big Explosion in Oslo

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Europe's 'xenoracism' spawned Norway horror

The problem with most of these counter-terrorist policies and actions is that they tend to paint all Muslims with the same brush and, in doing so, stoke irrational fear and hatred of a class of people just because of their religious belief, clothing and practices.

We are not Muslims, but we find ourselves defending Muslims from the onslaught of some people who, under normal conditions, appear to be intelligent, tolerant, lawabiding and even in some cases religious-minded. These folks have somehow bought into the scaremongering propaganda spewed by antiimmigrant, far-right groups such as the English Defence League and the British National Party in the United Kingdom; the Freedom Party in the Netherlands; the Danish People's Party; the Swedish Democrats (Sverigedemokraterna); the True Finns party; the Dansk Folkeparti of Denmark; and the Fremskrittspartiet in Norway.

This propaganda has led to the steady rise in xenoracism; and by that we mean a troubling increase in a virulent form of prejudice, discrimination, exclusion and marginalization that targets individuals and groups based on the perception of foreignness. The prefix "xeno" stems from the Greek word meaning stranger or guest.

Unfortunately, xenoracist sentiments are not limited to far-right extremist groups. Indeed, those sentiments are often fuelled by statements made, perhaps unwittingly, by respected state leaders such as British Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicolas Sarkozy. These leaders have all declared that multiculturalism has failed in their respective countries. While these leaders are not explicitly anti-immigrant or anti-Muslim, their attempts to stave off the growing popularity of far-right political competitors provides fodder for extremists such as Breivik.

Cameron kicked off his election campaign in April with an antiimmigrant speech in Hampshire that could have been written by someone from the far-right British National Party. In it, he tried to link immigrants in Britain to the drag on that country's welfare system.

Sarkozy claimed his government's ban on the niqab and the burka was an attempt to defend "French values."

Referring last year to the presence of immigrants and foreign workers in Germany, Merkel told a group of young people from her Christian Democratic Union Party: "We kidded ourselves a while, we said, 'They won't stay, sometime they will be gone.' But this isn't reality."

This type of rhetoric adds fuel to the flames of bigotry and hatred of those who are perceived as different from us. Breivik might have been delusional but he is the product of a xenoracist movement, not only in Norway, but throughout Europe.

North America is not immune. There is a rise in xenoracism in the United States, and Canada is not that far behind.

One saving grace for Canada might be our official multiculturalism policy, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. Let's hope the Canadian government continues to fund and promote true multiculturalism, anti-racism and inter-cultural and inter-faith dialogue. These could be significant antidotes to the xenoracist moment.

Europe's 'xenoracism' spawned Norway horror

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Blaming this event on "xeno-racism" is BS. This was the actions of one severely unbalanced individual who lashed out at the handiest target he could find.

"Xeno-racism" sounds like a rationalization put forth by those who don't want to admit that multiculturalism has definate drawbacks. Anytime you allow an influx of people who don't wish to put existing traditions equal or above the ones of the country they are leaving behind, there will be conflict. We do see this in Canada with things like the attempts to put Sharia law into place in Ontario, etc. Thats an example, not the only one, but a readily visible one of the problems that Canada faces, perhaps more than our southern neighbour, because of our immigration policies and methodology in integrating newcomers into society.

I support those who want to tear down the barriers of racism and promote interfaith/intercultural dialogue, but thats a far cry from multi-culturalism and the divisions it creates.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Read this nutjob's manifesto or at least my cut and paste summary of it here:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...0-2083-european-declaration-independence.html

This monster had the same irrational fear and hatred of Muslims and multiculturalism as those expressed by FoxNews pundits and regulars on this forum. This nutjob is an example of where anti-Islam demonization can lead.

Muslim scaremongering has crossed a line. The consequences aren't just limited to building support for unprovoked wars against Muslim majority nations (aka war crimes), or support of Zionist ethnic cleansing (aka crimes against humanity). Islamic demonization is now a threat to our domestic safety and security. What happened in Oslo could have easily happened in Canada, the US or any other Western Nation whose MSMs promote hatred against Muslims and cultural/religious intolerance.

BTW, I was just in Oslo two months ago. I'm certain this whackjob would have liked to have killed me for supporting multiculturalism, religious freedom and tolerance. Racial and religious intolerance isn't harmless and the victims include tolerant political leaders and their families.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Conversely, all I had to do was mention the word "christian" for DaS, Colpy, and Durry to come stampeding through the thread with pitchforks.

Actually, it was a manure fork..........not that you know the difference.

And I used it to clear out the BS...........the man was not a Christian. Nor was he Muslim......he belonged wholeheartedly to the Church of the Twisted, Evil Mind.

Of course, most of the usual suspects, in order to smear the right in general, and Christians in particular, lined right up to take the sacraments at the aforementioned church.

Yep. They accepted that his insanity had a logical course, they had faith that a journey through his twisted mind would reveal truth........that there was reason, they joined the murderer in finding a cause for what was completely illogical, and therefore (praise whomever!) assign blame.

Think about that.

Read this nutjob's manifesto or at least my cut and paste summary of it here:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...0-2083-european-declaration-independence.html

This monster had the same irrational fear and hatred of Muslims and multiculturalism as those expressed by FoxNews pundits and regulars on this forum. This nutjob is an example of where anti-Islam demonization can lead.

Muslim scaremongering has crossed a line. The consequences aren't just limited to building support for unprovoked wars against Muslim majority nations (aka war crimes), or support of Zionist ethnic cleansing (aka crimes against humanity). Islamic demonization is now a threat to our domestic safety and security. What happened in Oslo could have easily happened in Canada, the US or any other Western Nation whose MSMs promote hatred against Muslims and cultural/religious intolerance.

BTW, I was just in Oslo two months ago. I'm certain this whackjob would have liked to have killed me for supporting multiculturalism, religious freedom and tolerance. Racial and religious intolerance isn't harmless and the victims include tolerant political leaders and their families.

Funny, suddenly, because of the actions of one single insane man, acting alone, in which I don't believe he killed a SINGLE Muslim, you seek to discredit an entire political movement that resists the influence of Islam on western culture.

Yet 9-11, Bali, the Spanish trains, the British subway bombings, the Mumbai murders, in which many thousands of innocents died........and on and on and on, massacre after massacre carried on with the organized support of groups dedicated to the downfall of western civilization, all done in the name of Allah......fails to discredit radical Islam in your eyes.

A slight failing of balance there.....

To quote George Jonas, just because Ted Kazinsky says 2 + 2 = 4 doesn't mean it is not so.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Actually, it was a manure fork..........not that you know the difference.

And I used it to clear out the BS...........the man was not a Christian. Nor was he Muslim......he belonged wholeheartedly to the Church of the Twisted, Evil Mind.

Of course, most of the usual suspects, in order to smear the right in general, and Christians in particular, lined right up to take the sacraments at the aforementioned church.

Yep. They accepted that his insanity had a logical course, they had faith that a journey through his twisted mind would reveal truth........that there was reason, they joined the murderer in finding a cause for what was completely illogical, and therefore (praise whomever!) assign blame.

Think about that.

Funny, suddenly, because of the actions of one single insane man, acting alone, in which I don't believe he killed a SINGLE Muslim, you seek to discredit an entire political movement that resists the influence of Islam on western culture.

Yet 9-11, Bali, the Spanish trains, the British subway bombings, the Mumbai murders, in which many thousands of innocents died........and on and on and on, massacre after massacre carried on with the organized support of groups dedicated to the downfall of western civilization, all done in the name of Allah......fails to discredit radical Islam in your eyes.

A slight failing of balance there.....

To quote George Jonas, just because Ted Kazinsky says 2 + 2 = 4 doesn't mean it is not so.

We both agree this person is a nutcase and no I don't believe you would ever do something similar. But you can't say you disagree with this nutcase's right wing, intolerant, Muslim hating ideology.

Feel free to disavow yourself from any of the comments I cut and pasted from this nutcase's manifesto here:

I bet you can't because when you read what he wrote, you will find yourself agreeing with this monster far more than what should be comfortable. This nutjob's actions were 100% motivated by your shared ideology.

BTW, I support freedom of speech and thought. I completely support the right of you and this nutjob to express your right wing, intolerant, hate filled ideology without fear of criminal prosecution. Until he created a bomb and started shooting he was a law abiding citizen.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
"Xeno-racism" sounds like a rationalization put forth by those who don't want to admit that multiculturalism has definate drawbacks.

Jews and Irish once upon a time were undesirables...my how the times change. It's too bad attitudes about the "others" stagnate.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
There has been far too many trolling posts in this thread(far too many for me to bother wading through now), as well as personal attacks and a lot of off-topic posts. It needs to stop, and the thread needs to stay on topic, which is about the horrible tragedy in Oslo. Thank you.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This is an interesting turn of events:

(Reuters) - Membership of Norway's political parties has surged in response to calls to counter last week's massacre with more democracy and political participation, and some warn that the debate must shed traces of xenophobia.
All of Norway's main parties say they have seen a jump in membership since Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik killed 76 people last Friday in a bombing and shooting attack he saw as a "crusade" against Islam and multiculturalism.
An emotional Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has since then urged Norwegians to respond to the violence, in which Breivik gunned down youth members of his ruling Labor Party at a summer camp and planted a bomb outside Stoltenberg's offices, with more of what he says Norway does best -- openness and democracy.

Norway attacks boost political parties' membership | Reuters

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is an interesting turn of events:

(Reuters) - Membership of Norway's political parties has surged in response to calls to counter last week's massacre with more democracy and political participation, and some warn that the debate must shed traces of xenophobia.
All of Norway's main parties say they have seen a jump in membership since Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik killed 76 people last Friday in a bombing and shooting attack he saw as a "crusade" against Islam and multiculturalism.
An emotional Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has since then urged Norwegians to respond to the violence, in which Breivik gunned down youth members of his ruling Labor Party at a summer camp and planted a bomb outside Stoltenberg's offices, with more of what he says Norway does best -- openness and democracy.

Norway attacks boost political parties' membership | Reuters

"Democracy, immigration, multiculturalism. Pick any two."

James C. Bennett

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
"Xeno-racism" sounds like a rationalization put forth by those who don't want to admit that multiculturalism has definate drawbacks.

Xenoracism sounds more like a product of the Department of Redundancy Department. What the hell does it mean? Racial prejudice against others? Who else would you have racial prejudice against? Yourself?

Argh!

What a lovely example of a logical fallacy.

False trilemma?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
False trilemma?

Yes, it's an extension of a false dilemma. Canada has all three, with lower rates of terrorism than countries that have only two of the three.

I'd challenge anyone to use that dumb model to predict domestic terrorism, or really any terrorism.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
T, You posted a link to a summary. The full column referenced in your link is here:
Siddiqui: Warped standards on terror - thestar.com

I'm also not a fan of Bernie Farber, but I agree with his statement as quoted by Haroon Siddiqui
Bernie Farber, CEO of the Canadian Jewish Congress, to say that while Islamic fundamentalism is a threat, “fighting it with generalized hatred against Muslims … is only a recipe for fuelling more conflict.”