Al Qaeda is Not a Real Group, Just a U.S. Propaganda Campaign

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Was the origin of "al Qaeda" not the faceless CIA "database" of mujahideen fighting the Soviets in the big A?

Exactly Spade. Now that the CIA is no longer providing the massive support to the Taliban that they did at one time, they get their lunch money from the Pakistani Secret Service.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
who think that somehow we (and the Americans) are at fault for these ***holes (because they don't approve of our extravagant way of life)

It's more to the point that they don't particularly care for us trying to wipe out their way of life. I don't recall legions of Taliban wading ashore in Halifax... bent upon taking the armoury out.

So why did they start it?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So why did they start it?

How did they start what? Did they invade themselves? Did they blow up all their infrastructure?

I find this question of yours rather silly. They asked the Americans for proof that bin laden had something to do with 911 and they refused or could not produce it. The Americans then invaded Afghanistan and blew the country all to hell and still bib Laden is on the loose (if he is still alive) and our soldiers are there getting killed protecting the poppy fields.

There is no justification for having gone there or staying there.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How did they start what? Did they invade themselves? Did they blow up all their infrastructure?

I find this question of yours rather silly. They asked the Americans for proof that bin laden had something to do with 911 and they refused or could not produce it. The Americans then invaded Afghanistan and blew the country all to hell and still bib Laden is on the loose (if he is still alive) and our soldiers are there getting killed protecting the poppy fields.

There is no justification for having gone there or staying there.

The attack on Kuwait, the first attack on the W.T.C., the attack on a ship for starters.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We started it with Iraqi invasion #1 in 1990 and continued up to 2003 with debilitating sanctions. There response was 9/11 in 2001.

Wrong, they started it in 1990 invading Kuwait- that was the whole reason Old George went in there.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Wrong, they started it in 1990 invading Kuwait- that was the whole reason Old George went in there.

Exactly. And Saddam had lots of time and urging to pull out of Kuwait. All he had to do was turn around and leave and he'd likely still be the dictator of Iraq today.

Also, just so our anti-US friends don't forget, the first gulf war was not a U.S. operation, or even a Nato operation, it was a true coalition, including many middle eastern countries who feared Saddam's ambitions at the time. The U.S. went in to support a U.S. protectorate (Kuwaiti ships flew American flags) and Saddam's Arab neighbor's were happy.

Bin Laden used it as an excuse to justify war on America. Like he has any business declaring war on anyone. :) The Saudi's invited the U.S. to operate from Saudi soil. Osama didn't like it. Tough noogies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Exactly. And Saddam had lots of time and urging to pull out of Kuwait. All he had to do was turn around and leave and he'd likely still be the dictator of Iraq today.

Also, just so our anti-US friends don't forget, the first gulf war was not a U.S. operation, or even a Nato operation, it was a true coalition, including many middle eastern countries who feared Saddam's ambitions at the time. The U.S. went in to support a U.S. protectorate (Kuwaiti ships flew American flags) and Saddam's Arab neighbor's were happy.

Bin Laden used it as an excuse to justify war on America. Like he has any business declaring war on anyone. :) The Saudi's invited the U.S. to operate from Saudi soil. Osama didn't like it. Tough noogies.

Now we are starting to get things straight.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

We can go all the way back to 1938 when Britian started exploiting Saudi oil or the US installed the Shah in Iran, 1926 if you want to get to the real root of the issue.

The fact remains, we believe we have some sort of Manifest Destiny to be in the middle east, while the people of the middle east want nothing to do with us.

It's an economic issue for the western world (oil exploitation) ansd a cultural issue for Middle Easterners, Islam vs. Christianity

By far the most contentious issue is the creation of the state of Israel nearly 60 yrs ago (and the overwhelnming American support behind them) into a region thousnads of decades old.

We have been invading one way or another (economically, politically, culturally or militarily) there corner of the world for the past 80 yrs and they are starting to push back

Somehow, some people get all righteous and blubber "how dare they"... Don't they know who we think we are/...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why is the neo-cons who condemn Saddam's invasion of Kuwait never ever mention two facts. One, Saddam went in to put a halt to the slant-drilling from there into Iraqi oil-fields (no doubt an American exercise) and that Saddam had already directly asked the US what their view was on his upcoming action. (the reply was anything but what ended up happening).
There were lots of outright lies fed to everybody by the US before the original war, the incubator story is a prime example.
Why do you neo-cons forget to mention those facts, has the sanitized version of history as the US would have everybody believe replaced cold-hard facts. Does that stop you from puking your guts out every morning because you know you support liars.

"The whole dispute started because Kuwait was slant-drilling. Using equipment bought from National Security Council chief Brent Scowcroft's old company, Kuwait was pumping out some $14-billion worth of oil from underneath Iraqi territory. Even the territory they were drilling from had originally been Iraq's. Slant-drilling is enough to get you shot in Texas, and it's certainly enough to start a war in the Mideast.

Even so, this dispute could have been negotiated. But it's hard to avoid a war when what you're actually doing is trying to provoke a war.

The most famous example of that is the meeting between Saddam and the US Ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie, five days before Iraq invaded Kuwait. As CIA satellite photos showed an Iraqi invasion force massing on the Kuwaiti border, Glaspie told Hussein that "the US takes no position" on Iraq's dispute with Kuwait.

A few days later, during last-minute negotiations, Kuwait's foreign minister said: "We are not going to respond to [Iraq]....If they don't like it, let them occupy our territory....We are going to bring in the Americans." The US reportedly encouraged Kuwait's attitude."

Iraq from the book The CIAs Greatest Hits by Mark Zepezauer

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"The fact remains, we believe we have some sort of Manifest Destiny to be in the middle east, while the people of the middle east want nothing to do with us."
And I'd go along with that, BUT, it was about 1994 when the first W.T.C. attack occurred and since then they have no credibility with me.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
MHz, whatever misunderstanding Saddam had towards America's position on invading Kuwait, it was certainly cleared up by six months of "this aggression will not stand".

Also, interesting the new found respect for what America thinks. Did you consider asking the Kuwaitis' where they stood on the invasion? :) Funny we don't see that reverence when it comes to Israel. I guess you have no problem with the current Israeli action against Gaza, since the U.S. tacitly approves of it.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
We can go all the way back to 1938 when Britian started exploiting Saudi oil or the US installed the Shah in Iran, 1926 if you want to get to the real root of the issue.

Sure you could. Or you could go all the way back to the siege of Vienna. Or maybe the massacre at Khaybar.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
MHz, whatever misunderstanding Saddam had towards America's position on invading Kuwait, it was certainly cleared up by six months of "this aggression will not stand".

Also, interesting the new found respect for what America thinks. Did you consider asking the Kuwaitis' where they stood on the invasion? :) Funny we don't see that reverence when it comes to Israel. I guess you have no problem with the current Israeli action against Gaza, since the U.S. tacitly approves of it.
I already posted on that thread. Save your thoughts on that for that thread.

Post something that says they didn't say what I posted. Then post something on Kuwait's view on whether slant-drilling was an acceptable practise or not.
The Kuwait position was in my post.
"A few days later, during last-minute negotiations, Kuwait's foreign minister said: "We are not going to respond to [Iraq]....If they don't like it, let them occupy our territory....We are going to bring in the Americans." The US reportedly encouraged Kuwait's attitude."

The US has agreed with everything that Israel had done over the last 60 years, their own taxpayers have footed the entire expense. Kind of hard to condemn anything they do when they are using your hardware to do it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Excuse me, but I thought we were talking about Al Qaeda. What has Saddam got to do with it? It was proved that he did not like bin Laden and the Yanks lied through their teeth about the whole thing. I was talking about Afghanistan so what has Kuwait have to do with anything?
And if you believe that a fictional group called Al Qaeda blew up the twin towers, could you explain how fictional characters could do that? I think the problem everybody is having is that most are incapable of seeing past the individual incidents, connect the dots and see the whole picture.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Cliffy,

Propaganda has lingering effects. Even when people realize they've been lied to, they still succumb to its longterm brainwashing effects.

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

Hermann Goering
snopes.com: Hermann Goering

I disagree with you that al Qaeda doesn't exist. At a minimum it is concept like the boogey man. To keep the general public's attention focused on "The War on Terror" we need an organization to fear (al Qaeda) and a person to demonize (OBL).

I believe al Qaeda describes people who share a similar viewpoint regarding the world and how things work. al Qaeda is a convenient way to refer to all the people who share a viewpoint similar to OBL's. Sometimes some of these people cooperate with other, sometimes not. But I wouldn't describe al Qaeda as a hierarchical mafia like organization as depicted by our news. Its more like a movement.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I disagree with you that al Qaeda doesn't exist. At a minimum it is concept like the boogey man. To keep the general public's attention focused on "The War on Terror" we need an organization to fear (al Qaeda) and a person to demonize (OBL).

I believe al Qaeda describes people who share a similar viewpoint regarding the world and how things work. al Qaeda is a convenient way to refer to all the people who share a viewpoint similar to OBL's. Sometimes some of these people cooperate with other, sometimes not. But I wouldn't describe al Qaeda as a hierarchical mafia like organization as depicted by our news. Its more like a movement.

I agree with you except for the bogeyman part. That insinuates that Al Qaeda is indeed a creation being used to influence the public into supporting a war that ostensibly then, is NOT a war on terror.

Al Qaeda is allied with, if not in fact an integral part of by now, the Muslim Brotherhood, which is a global organization bent on the destruction of the west and any non-muslim society, ultimately Islamizing the world, whether by sword or otherwise. That is a very very real bogeyman.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Former British Foreign Secretary: Al Qaeda is Not a Real Group, Just a U.S. Propaganda Campaign

Tags: COVER-UP/DECEPTIONS
Former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook says:
The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a propaganda campaign to make the public believe in the presence of an identified entity representing the 'devil' only in order to drive the TV watcher to accept a unified international leadership for a war against terrorism. The country behind this propaganda is the US. Cook has previously written:
Former British Foreign Secretary: Al Qaeda is Not a Real Group, Just a U.S. Propaganda Campaign

If Robin Cook said this, it wasn't recently. He's been dead since 2005.