14,000 abandoned wind turbines litter the united states

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Then you are not getting "subsidized" rate.
I don't what it is now but a couple to ten years ago someone who installed solar panels would get about double the rate he paid for hydro fo about 7years so that the 75 thousand he paid for a simple array would be paid back in about 5 years and the next two would be profit

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There was also EcoEnergy subsidies for set up costs. I bought everything for geothermal wholesale and drilled my own hole. In the end I made money.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We are missing out? damn I would have to ask hubby about it all. Our system, minus the solar array, has been here since like 1905 or something and we only change stuff as it wears out. we started getting money from the grid about 25 years ago.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
NIMBY's like, can you guess who?

Flossy!!!

Just like the Kennedy's and Cape Wind. For years America's royal family fought against big oil and fought for wind and solar power. That is up until the day they heard a wind farm project (Cape Wind) was being planned off the Kennedy Compound on Cape Cod. Suddenly alternative energy wasn't such a great idea at all.

NIMBY

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's time to take down all these turbines and invest in coal-fired, oil-fired, and nuclear power plants, which never ever shut down and have a spotless safety record!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Was that a facetious statement disguised as sarcasm....or the other way around?

He should know....by the number of similar posts of his

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Without copper there would be no wind turbnes. Copper mining makes oil sands look as clean as an operating room.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's time to take down all these turbines and invest in coal-fired, oil-fired, and nuclear power plants, which never ever shut down and have a spotless safety record!
Nah, let's go whole hog on wind and solar so that in the dead of winter when there's no sun shining and the wind is blowing too hard for turbines to harness it, there'll be no power generation at all.
Who needs reliable base-load generation anyway? We're much better off relying on the vagaries of weather.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Without copper there would be no wind turbnes. Copper mining makes oil sands look as clean as an operating room.

Ecotards tend to ignore inconvenient facts such as this. The keyboard they pound on and the monitor they are glued to are loaded with non-renewable products. Most are destined for landfills.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nah, let's go whole hog on wind and solar so that in the dead of winter when there's no sun shining and the wind is blowing too hard for turbines to harness it, there'll be no power generation at all.
You're right. If an industry isn't fully mature at its inception, it's worthless.

Who needs reliable base-load generation anyway? We're much better off relying on the vagaries of weather.
No, no! Coal and oil only! Because wind, solar, hydro, and nuclear can't be the entire power-generation system, they shouldn't be allowed to be ANY PART of the power generation system!

That's your logic

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You're right. If an industry isn't fully mature at its inception, it's worthless.

No, no! Coal and oil only! Because wind, solar, hydro, and nuclear can't be the entire power-generation system, they shouldn't be allowed to be ANY PART of the power generation system!

That's your logic
It is? I live in a province that generates the vast majority of its hydro from hydroelectric and nuclear. I live almost equidistant between the Pickering and Darlington nuclear power plants, never mind that the Bruce Nuclear Facility in Ontario is the largest Nuclear power plant in operation in the world. I'm proud of the fact that even before the Ontario Liberal's disastrous green energy policy, Ontario hydro generation was over 75% emissions-free.
And pssst, guess what? Nuclear and hydroelectric make for great base-load generation so I have no idea what you're waffling on about.

Not to mention that Canada has this thing called "winter" which often times makes wind and solar absolutely useless.

Where is all the lead supposed to come from for the battries to store solar?

That's what people don't understand. I heard a stat last year stating that at least 20% of China's farmland has been made toxic by heavy metals. The trouble comes from the mining of them, the refining of them and the battery manufacturing process in China. Now let's think about how much food they export. Yum.