Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
the guy might be a slimeball who supports a slimeball but as long as he's not supporting putin while wearing his uniform or on official team media sources then honestly it's not right to ban him. When you fight monsters it's always important to be careful you don't become a monster, and destroying people for their political opinion is not ok.

I mean the guy sucks donkey balls but that's his right in a free country.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Let's be clear about something. Zelensky isn't winning the war. Zaluzny is and in the end he'll be sitting in Kyiv as President of Ukraine.

Here is a quick little history lesson that gives a better perspective. It's was Ukrainians in the Donbass that brought the USSR to its knees and ultimate demise.

How you ask? Electricity. Ukraine was the main source for Russian industry. When Ukrainian coal and iron ore miners went on strike all thermal power was cut off. This caused the steel and oil industries to collapse.

It's not a coincidence that the now Ukrainian thermal electrical and steel industries were wiped out by Russia.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ovechkin shouldn't be welcomed into Canada, let's hope Toronto shuns him
His athletic skills are amazing, but his support for a genocidal dictator is disgusting

Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Published Jan 28, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

Sadly, on Sunday night, barring a last-minute scratch by coach Peter Laviolette, Alexander Ovechkin will hit the ice in Toronto against the Leafs.

We should all want to celebrate magnificent athletes, which Ovechkin definitely is, but he’s also an ardent supporter of a murderous, genocidal monster named Vladimir Putin.

That’s why I can’t cheer for Ovechkin and wish the Trudeau government had done the right thing and denied him an entry visa.

That’s what the Ukrainian Canadian Congress had asked the federal government to do, it’s what an online petition called for, simply deny entry to Ovechkin. On Thursday, it was announced Canada would send tanks to Ukraine, on Sunday Putin’s propaganda machine takes to the ice when the Washington Capitals visit Scotiabank Arena.

Let’s hope he’s booed with every touch of the puck as he has been in visits to Calgary and Edmonton.

Each time I’ve written about Ovechkin and his problematic support for Putin, I’ve been told that he’s simply a hockey player and we shouldn’t mix politics and sports. Well, somebody should have told that to Ovechkin before he organized the political operation known as Putin Team in 2017 to help his friend get re-elected in Russia.

Somebody should have told Ovechkin that sports and politics don’t mix before he posted Russian propaganda messages in support of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2014 that saw Putin annex Crimea.

Back in 2014, Ovechkin posted a photo to his Instagram feed, the same one that features a photo of his smiling with his friend Putin, that said, “#SaveChildrenFromFascism.” He was wearing a T-shirt that said “No War” while holding a sign with the hashtag that was used as an excuse for Russian aggression in Crimea and Ukraine’s Donbass region.

Would we have so easily accepted an athlete supporting Adolf Hitler coming into our towns, our arenas, our stadiums in the 1940s? Would such an athlete have been celebrated like Ovechkin is now?

With each atrocity carried out by his friend and president, Ovechkin should be asked if he still supports Putin. Each time a school or hospital is bombed by Russia, Ovechkin should be asked if these are actions he can support from his friend.

That won’t happen, it’s far easier to beat up on someone like Ivan Provorov, another Russian who plays for the Philadelphia Flyers and was recently roasted in all corners.

Provorov wasn’t denounced for supporting Putin, he wasn’t told by veteran sports broadcasters that he should go back to Russia for supporting the war against Ukraine. The sin that Provorov committed was deciding not to warm up with the Flyers ahead of a game when the team was wearing gay pride jerseys for warm up – not the game, the warm up.

Provorov explained that he respects everyone but he couldn’t wear the jersey because of his religion. He faced a much harsher backlash and scrutiny than Ovechkin has in the 11 months since the war started.

Russia wasn’t invited to the World Juniors over Christmas in Halifax. In fact, the tournament was supposed to be played in Russia but was moved after the invasion. Russian players have been banned from various sports and tournaments, but not the NHL.

I’m not even calling for Ovechkin to be kicked out of the league, I just don’t think we should invite athletes who support genocidal dictators we are currently fighting into our country. Let’s hope fans give Ovechkin the kind of cold and hostile welcome he deserves.

blilley@postmedia.com
He was on the ice but a complete non-factor in the game. He may have touched the puck once. Didn't hear boos. There were several cap fans in next section about 1/2 wearing Oveckhin jerseys.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
He was on the ice but a complete non-factor in the game. He may have touched the puck once. Didn't hear boos. There were several cap fans in next section about 1/2 wearing Oveckhin jerseys.
Oveckhin isn’t the only Russian in the NHL . And last I heard we still have freedom of speech and expression in our two countries although they are trying hard to stiffle it .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Let's be clear about something. Zelensky isn't winning the war. Zaluzny is and in the end he'll be sitting in Kyiv as President of Ukraine.

Here is a quick little history lesson that gives a better perspective. It's was Ukrainians in the Donbass that brought the USSR to its knees and ultimate demise.

How you ask? Electricity. Ukraine was the main source for Russian industry. When Ukrainian coal and iron ore miners went on strike all thermal power was cut off. This caused the steel and oil industries to collapse.

It's not a coincidence that the now Ukrainian thermal electrical and steel industries were wiped out by Russia.
So what you're saying is that it's not Zelenski's efforts but rather the electrical grid from the donbas region that's winning the war? Or are you saying that until they take back all of donbas they're still losing? That wasn;t quite clear from what you wrote.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oveckhin isn’t the only Russian in the NHL . And last I heard we still have freedom of speech and expression in our two countries although they are trying hard to stiffle it .
Leafs goalie is also from Russia. I was mearly reporting. But if he had scored a goal I would have booed -- my expression of free speech.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Leafs goalie is also from Russia. I was mearly reporting. But if he had scored a goal I would have booed -- my expression of free speech.
Not to be a jerk, but that's not an expression of free speech. IF he says something good about putin, and you say something bad about putin or challenge his views, that would be two people expressing their free speech.

You attacking him because you didn't like what he said is not free speech. It's an attempt at censorship. And that is not a good thing.

Freedom of speech is literally the right to say what you want without fear of reprisal or harm being done to you as a result. That's what the 'free' part is. If you suffer a reprisal for speaking out then you weren't "free" to speak.

It's worth mentioning because we're watching our own gov't preparing to have a 'ministry of truth" to cleanse our internet of 'bad thoughts' and punish people for speaking freely, and we're supporting a war that is about freedoms from oppression which is what this thread is about. We need to think about this.

Free speech is imortant. Don't let your hatred of Putin turn you into the same kind of monster as Putin. If someone likes putin for some derranged reason or brain injury then we can disagree with that person, even passionately, but we shouldn't take actions against them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
At a hockey game one voices ones freedom of expression with boos and cheers. They do not poll the crowed for their thoughts after each play. As a fan I choose to express my disapproval how I see fit. I traditionally boo the 4 people who do their jobs very poorly and keep getting re-hired for those jobs -- the referees. And if I choose to boo Ovekshkin because of his support for Poutine, it is my choice. I am not one who said he shouldn't be able to play but I will be damned if I am told I can't boo because of whatever reason I choose.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
At a hockey game one voices ones freedom of expression with boos and cheers.
For the hockey, yes. Not for the political opinions of the hockey players as expressed outside the hockey game. You boo or cheer for a good or bad play, not a good or bad political position.

They do not poll the crowed for their thoughts after each play.
Did you think they were polling the thoughts of the crowd on putin?

And if I choose to boo Ovekshkin because of his support for Poutine, it is my choice. I
Yes. You are free to mimick putin and his ways as much as you like, If you believe in repressing other people's rights to an opinion you can get away with that to a point. And if justin has his way then as long as you're repressing someone with whom he disagrees he'll support your right to do so aggressively.

So nobody's saying you can't. What i'm saying is that if you take a moment to think about what that makes you... do you REALLY want to?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
For the hockey, yes. Not for the political opinions of the hockey players as expressed outside the hockey game. You boo or cheer for a good or bad play, not a good or bad political position.
I can boo or cheer a player for whatever I choose. You can't tell me who I can or cannot boo or the reasons I can or cannot boo him. Period. Not sure what is not clear.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can boo or cheer a player for whatever I choose. You can't tell me who I can or cannot boo or the reasons I can or cannot boo him. Period. Not sure what is not clear.
Sigh. What's hard about this?

Ovechkin, as a Russian citizen, has every right to take advantage of the full suite of Canadian rights and freedoms.

You, as a Canadian citizen, have no such right.

Pay attention. This will be on the exam.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well, except for that whole "invade Ukraine" thing. . .
Well i suppose technically he still can but i'm not sure they'd notice one guy with a hockey stick charging their border crossing...
But seriously, you probably don't wanna do that anyhow. Ain't going real well for Vlad.
Not as well as he'd hoped i think. Then again, he didn't bring any hockey sticks and that may turn out to have been a fatal mistake.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I can boo or cheer a player for whatever I choose. You can't tell me who I can or cannot boo or the reasons I can or cannot boo him.
Are you claiming I did tell you that? If you're at the point where you have to lie to make your point, you probably didn't have a very good point.

Not sure what is not clear.
sure thing comrade!!! :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Are you claiming I did tell you that? If you're at the point where you have to lie to make your point, you probably didn't have a very good point.

Please clarify the below quote which to me clearly says I cannot boo Ovekskin based upon his political opinions.

I will boo him for whatever I choose.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hmm. . . was it OK for fans to boo Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice after video was released of him coldcocking his girlfriend in a Vegas hotel elevator?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Please clarify the below quote which to me clearly says I cannot boo Ovekskin based upon his political opinions.
It does not say anywhere in there what you personally can do. It specifically was in reply to your comment:
"At a hockey game one voices ones freedom of expression with boos and cheers. "

We were discussing booing because of someon'es political posiiton. You made the above statement. When people are booing or cheering at a hockey game, they are not doing so in order to present their approval of the players political position. We both know that's true. It doesn't say someone can't boo for a different reason but if you're trying to claim the reason people boo is because they don't like player's politics, rather than they don't like the call the ref just made, we both would know that's a lie.

And interestingly i HAD already clarified that. I specifically said you were free in this country to act like a facist dictator and attempt to censor and cancel people if you want to. The left does it all the time. So i was very clear you COULD do it. I very specifically said that - and that what i was saying is given that in retrospect why would you want to?

So your "confusion" over my meaning seems pretty silly. Kinda sounds more like you got caught in a lie and are looking for a way out. But whatever.

I didn't peg you for the left wing idolizing Putin-friendly cancel culture type but to be clear yes, if that's the kind of person you want to be then you absolutely can choose to be so. Nobody's stopping you. IN fact - do it to the right people and justin will sing your praises.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It does not say anywhere in there what you personally can do. It specifically was in reply to your comment:
"At a hockey game one voices ones freedom of expression with boos and cheers. "

We were discussing booing because of someon'es political posiiton. You made the above statement. When people are booing or cheering at a hockey game, they are not doing so in order to present their approval of the players political position. We both know that's true. It doesn't say someone can't boo for a different reason but if you're trying to claim the reason people boo is because they don't like player's politics, rather than they don't like the call the ref just made, we both would know that's a lie.

And interestingly i HAD already clarified that. I specifically said you were free in this country to act like a facist dictator and attempt to censor and cancel people if you want to. The left does it all the time. So i was very clear you COULD do it. I very specifically said that - and that what i was saying is given that in retrospect why would you want to?

So your "confusion" over my meaning seems pretty silly. Kinda sounds more like you got caught in a lie and are looking for a way out. But whatever.

I didn't peg you for the left wing idolizing Putin-friendly cancel culture type but to be clear yes, if that's the kind of person you want to be then you absolutely can choose to be so. Nobody's stopping you. IN fact - do it to the right people and justin will sing your praises.
The Left does seem determined to repeat the mistakes of the Right. Bookburners and suchlike. You'd think they'd draw the parallel between how the censorship and bookburning and jailing didn't stop them and. . . but alas! no.