Majority of Conservative voters support defunding the CBC — but not attacks on media

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Preferably, that extra cash should go to alternative media where we the peasants do always get the other side if the story. We get enough propaganda and lies and bullshit from the other two fake news outlets like CTV and GloBull, and not to forget print media also. Let's support the alternative media in Canada. I have had enough bullshit from those two Canadian TV news outfits mentioned to last me five lifetimes. :)
Well as i've previously noted i do support the idea of giving so called "alternative" media (which for the most part is just another name for smaller less funded media) a leg up. And i don't even mind seeing the more mainstream players have a bit of an easier time of it for that matter (toronto sun, NP, etc are good offsets to global and the star etc). But i don't think that should come in the form of giving them money. I'm more inclined to tax breaks and such. Things like letting them write off gear the year they buy it instead of depreciating it, allowing more tax credits for various things, etc etc.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well as i've previously noted i do support the idea of giving so called "alternative" media (which for the most part is just another name for smaller less funded media) a leg up. And i don't even mind seeing the more mainstream players have a bit of an easier time of it for that matter (toronto sun, NP, etc are good offsets to global and the star etc). But i don't think that should come in the form of giving them money. I'm more inclined to tax breaks and such. Things like letting them write off gear the year they buy it instead of depreciating it, allowing more tax credits for various things, etc etc.
No , no , no , the government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers . Our tax dollar should not be used to prop up failing investments , up to and including those deemed to big to fail .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No , no , no , the government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers . Our tax dollar should not be used to prop up failing investments , up to and including those deemed to big to fail .
Well as i said i'm not in favour of using tax dollars to help any of the media. But you could use tax incentives and breaks to disproportionally help smaller media and give them a leg up. Letting people keep their money is not the same as giving them someone else's money.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well as i said i'm not in favour of using tax dollars to help any of the media. But you could use tax incentives and breaks to disproportionally help smaller media and give them a leg up. Letting people keep their money is not the same as giving them someone else's money.
Yes and make sure the stimulus is always on the side of those who report favoritably on the government of the day .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yes and make sure the stimulus is always on the side of those who report favoritably on the government of the day .
If it's a tax break, it's applied universally so that's not really a thing. And small targeted tax breaks tend to favour the little guy, not the big guy. But sure, i'm certain there's no legal issues with simply saying "you get a tax exemption for every positive story about the gov't".

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It was actually a stupid comparison. So is this guy saying that just because politicians are "government funded" that they can't make any statements about what government is doing or not doing? Seriously? OMG What a stupid comment & it's apparent that the Liberals are so out of touch they can't even make a concerted effort to debate. CBC is funded by the government as is all MSM!! They're ALL receiving government funds.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It was actually a stupid comparison. So is this guy saying that just because politicians are "government funded" that they can't make any statements about what government is doing or not doing? Seriously? OMG What a stupid comment & it's apparent that the Liberals are so out of touch they can't even make a concerted effort to debate. CBC is funded by the government as is all MSM!! They're ALL receiving government funds.
To make it easy...yes politicians are government funded because they work for the Government and so does the CBC even when their masters are in opposition.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I think it would have to be clear to anyone at this point that the CBC news is NOT news, it's propaganda. And we're being forced to pay for it. Don't you love shelling out $1.7 billion/yr so our public broadcaster can lie to us and/or just play stupid fucking semantic games with us?