Immigrants sent to Mass. from Florida, on taxpayer dime

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Interesting perspective.

"From Tracy Brown, who comes from Martha's Vinyard:

I wrote a bit about it last night, but wanna expand a bit.

Media (especially right) holds up Martha's Vineyard as some rich liberal enclave. Hilarious. The really rich people on MV are not libs. LOL.

Ahem. So. My parents (mom and stepfather, his half because his dad died and left him $$) bought a pretty nice house there in roughly 1975. For about 70k. Big, nice house, built in 1800s, very cool. Whaling Era.

At the time the island was a "second home/summer home" economy. The small year round residents really struggled. It was absolutely a seasonal economy. No tourists but also no residents in the "nice" homes, they only came summer.

Notably, the gorgeous Victorian homes in Oak Bluffs was a black community since mid 19th century. And still is.

All grocery/supplies come by ferry. Off season the local A&P (back then) was not impressive.

In the 80s things went nuts. Families with small kids would buy house/land and Dad would work in Boston/apt and fly home to island for three days. This kind of helped local school stuff. But all real estate went insane. Even non-coastal.

Obviously quality at grocery store improved.

The Vineyard irrevocably changed. And adapted. No longer a seasonal retreat, now pretty populated year round. Long time residents everything from poor fishermen to the Taylor Family (singer James). One of my neighbors was Ruth Gordon, who rode her bicycle to the post office every day. Bumped into Walter Cronkite, David McCullough, Patricia Neal...and no one cared. They liked it there because literally no one cares who you are. (Pretty sure this is something Dershowitz doesn't understand). One of Jt's brothers was fire chief in Menemsha. Just regular folk. Another runs a B&B. *SHRUG*

So anyway. Point is, Island now year round community with big tourist season. Despite all those lovely estates everyone talks about (like obamas bought, etc).most people that live there are just folks. It's year round population is about 16k. Blows up tourist season (hated, but necessary). And yes, seasonal workers come in for tourist season. Lots of immigrants. Lots guys from south Boston too. Employers gotta provide them some kind of housing or they can't get them. It's ugly. It's mostly over after Labor Day.

Dumping 50 people who walked two miles from airport to community center (I can't imagine her first thought) was disgusting.

But these assh0les bought all the BS about the Vineyard being some rich elite snooty island. Well it isn't. It's diverse, multi financial, complicated small society. Who don't "fear" immigrants, since waves of them are seasonal workers.

And my peeps stepped up like crazy. The AP Spanish students from MVHS jumped in to translate. St. Andrews Edgartown coordinated feeding everyone. The community center was setting up beds etc and eventually had to tell people to stop donating.

These aren't necessarily "rich" people donating or helping,

They are just us.

Am proud of Martha's Vineyard."

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Migrants across Canada call on Ottawa for action on regularization, permanent status
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Holly McKenzie-Sutter
Publishing date:Sep 18, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 3 minute read • 10 Comments

Thousands of migrants and their supporters were planning rallies across Canadian cities Sunday to call on Ottawa to extend permanent status to undocumented people.

There will also be calls to swiftly implement an inclusive regularization program for undocumented migrants — a longstanding demand that advocates say appears closer than ever to becoming a reality.

Syed Hussan, executive director of the Migrant Workers Alliance for Change, said it’s an opportune moment for Ottawa to listen to his group’s calls for more access to basic rights for undocumented people in Canada.

“We have a historic opportunity right now to fix a wrong that has been going on for many, many years,” he said by phone before heading to a planned afternoon rally in Toronto.

“We want to make sure that parliament does not in any way delay.”

Ottawa launched a regularization program during the COVID-19 pandemic for asylum seekers who worked in the health sector. Since then, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has indicated interest in expanding the initiative.

A mandate letter from December 2021 asked Trudeau’s immigration and citizenship minister to “build on existing pilot programs to further explore ways of regularizing status for undocumented workers who are contributing to Canadian communities.”

Hussan said the program should include all undocumented people and argued it should be a focus for the government as parliament prepares to return next week.

“Prime Minister Trudeau has already indicated that he wants to do the right thing. The question now is, only, will everyone be included,” Hussan said.

“We believe that equality is equality, any exclusion is discrimination, so each and every migrant worker or refugee, student and undocumented person should be included.”

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the status of an expanded regularization program for undocumented workers.

Hussan said he expects thousands of people will be in attendance at the rallies and marches planned in 13 cities including Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Fredericton and St. John’s, N.L.

Similar days of national protest have been held on the issue of migrant status, but Hussan said Sunday’s event is expected to be larger as momentum for the cause has grown in recent years.

That’s partly due to a growing number of undocumented people who are organizing for more rights, he said, as well as a renewed spotlight placed on inequalities they faced in essential jobs during the pandemic.

He said calls for status and regularization would give undocumented working people in Canada rights to advocate for better work, study and living conditions, as well as to access universal health-care.

The measures would also give people more labour mobility and improve work conditions, he said.

Caroline Michael, an undocumented health-care worker in Toronto, joined calls for permanent status in a news conference hosted by the Migrant Workers Alliance for Change earlier this week.

She shared challenges she’s faced as a refugee looking to remain in Canada, being denied various applications and asked to pay for health-care services. She said her struggles have affected her mental health but she is not able to take time off from the hospital where she works due to her status.

“I feel mentally trapped … I am held bound like someone in a prison,” she said. She called on parliament to extend status to all migrants, including herself and others who have been working on the frontlines during COVID-19.

“Myself and others were out during all the waves of the pandemic and were still working for the development of Canada. But we are not robots. We are humans, we are all human beings.”

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There's wanting to go north, then being LIED to (You're going to Boston, you're going to... there's a surprise waiting for you! There's jobs, there's housing...) to get them there.

Sure, except that Floriduh should have forewarned MV BEFORE sending them.

Why is this getting a pass from you? Why is their being LIED to getting a pass? Is it okay just because they're immigrants? LEGAL ones at that?

Sure, and are they EVER pissed. Venezuelan immigrants already in Florida (100,000 plus) usually votes Republican apparently, but after this? They are pissed.

There's good meme's, even I'll chuckle at good ones, but then there's gross ones.

You are missing the point... is that on purpose?

They were already in the US, they are here legally, if Florida didn't want to deal with them, or Texas, FINE, but to send them to somewhere else and lie about the entire thing, and not give a heads up is not a fair comparison.

They did the help, but I guess you couldn't be bothered to see that, I guess. Also, lying like a good little Brown Lipped Righty makes you so predictable.

You wouldn't know fact if it slapped you in the face.

It's both. Though I agree there's ignorance about this issue all over the place.

It should be like that, but... no.

Is that cause they're in lockup? Not the same.

These people came to the US legally. As I understand it, they are allowed to go wherever they wish after while they wait for their hearings. That said, again, not the point. MV DID what they were supposed to do.

Considering they're now housed on a base, it's hardly 'involuntary'. Rather they knew they were coming.

That much I'll agree with - the lack of being able to help 50 people for longer than a few days IS suspect. Unless every hotel is full, there is no reason they shouldn't have been able to stay there for a couple more days to at least get settled from this shitshow. Also, just setting up tents (just to appease the idea that being a sanctuary city means somehow NOT what it really means and has people stay on permanently) and saying "here you go, live here for who knows how long"... you think that's okay? Especially going into fall? Really?

But they also did all they were supposed to do. And at least there was no lie moving them.

It's a difference in that a) no one lied to these people about where they were going. B) it's NATIONAL meaning people did know and are still there to help them with their cases (although to be clear I just got up so I haven't caught up on how things are today so...)

You are missing the point, again.

It's that Florida sent these people on a LIE, on TAXPAYER dime and they are here LEGALLY, not illegally. ALL of that makes what DuhSatan did with these people way, WAY out of line.

For someone not having a dog or caring about the issue, you're okay with having the wrong facts about it...
Have a pretzel to help twist those knots .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yes, when triggered means correcting people with facts...

Sorry that makes you so triggered too.
What facts you don’t even realize the 50 illegal immigrants came from Texas not Florida . Florida just picked up the tab .

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Back in the 50s and 60s, the Klan launched a program of "Reverse Freedom Rides." They'd offer one-way bus tickets to northern cities to Black people, with false promises of jobs and housing. They enjoyed "owning the libs" and humiliating black people.

So DuhSantis and Abbott are not only racist assholes completely out of ideas, they're not even original.

Of course, taking a page out of the Klan playbook will make you a hero in today's Republican Party and on CanCon.
Funny but as you well know the Klan is a Democrat entity .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Media (especially right) holds up Martha's Vineyard as some rich liberal enclave. Hilarious. The really rich people on MV are not libs. LOL.

Ahem. So. My parents (mom and stepfather, his half because his dad died and left him $$) bought a pretty nice house there in roughly 1975. For about 70k. Big, nice house, built in 1800s, very cool. Whaling Era.
$75K in 1975...

Cheap like borscht.

Value of $1 from 1975 to 2022
$1 in 1975 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $5.51 today, an increase of $4.51 over 47 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.70% per year between 1975 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 450.50%.

Now how much has the property Increased?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Funny but as you well know the Klan is a Democrat entity .
Quite true. And the republicans were the ones in the north who were against slavery. So - i guess it would have been the democrats owning the republicans at that time :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Interesting perspective.

"From Tracy Brown, who comes from Martha's Vinyard:

I wrote a bit about it last night, but wanna expand a bit.

At the time the island was a "second home/summer home" economy. The small year round residents really struggled. It was absolutely a seasonal economy. No tourists but also no residents in the "nice" homes, they only came summer.

Notably, the gorgeous Victorian homes in Oak Bluffs was a black community since mid 19th century. And still is.

All grocery/supplies come by ferry. Off season the local A&P (back then) was not impressive.

In the 80s things went nuts. Families with small kids would buy house/land and Dad would work in Boston/apt and fly home to island for three days. This kind of helped local school stuff. But all real estate went insane. Even non-coastal.

Obviously quality at grocery store improved.

The Vineyard irrevocably changed. And adapted. No longer a seasonal retreat, now pretty populated year round. Long time residents everything from poor fishermen to the Taylor Family (singer James). One of my neighbors was Ruth Gordon, who rode her bicycle to the post office every day. Bumped into Walter Cronkite, David McCullough, Patricia Neal...and no one cared. They liked it there because literally no one cares who you are. (Pretty sure this is something Dershowitz doesn't understand). One of Jt's brothers was fire chief in Menemsha. Just regular folk. Another runs a B&B. *SHRUG*

So anyway. Point is, Island now year round community with big tourist season. Despite all those lovely estates everyone talks about (like obamas bought, etc).most people that live there are just folks. It's year round population is about 16k. Blows up tourist season (hated, but necessary). And yes, seasonal workers come in for tourist season. Lots of immigrants. Lots guys from south Boston too. Employers gotta provide them some kind of housing or they can't get them. It's ugly. It's mostly over after Labor Day.

Dumping 50 people who walked two miles from airport to community center (I can't imagine her first thought) was disgusting.

But these assh0les bought all the BS about the Vineyard being some rich elite snooty island. Well it isn't. It's diverse, multi financial, complicated small society. Who don't "fear" immigrants, since waves of them are seasonal workers.

And my peeps stepped up like crazy. The AP Spanish students from MVHS jumped in to translate. St. Andrews Edgartown coordinated feeding everyone. The community center was setting up beds etc and eventually had to tell people to stop donating.

These aren't necessarily "rich" people donating or helping,

They are just us.

Am proud of Martha's Vineyard."
This will, of course, make not the tiniest dent or scratch in the Marching Morons' certainty that the entire population of Martha's Vineyard are White liberal Democrats who eat avocado toast three meals a day.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020

Or for those who claim CNN bias...

"Aid workers and officials in Martha's Vineyard said 50 people arrived there, including women and young children, and they had been told they would be taken to a place that could give them a place to stay and jobs.

One church leader who helped said no one there had any notice ahead of time, but they are doing what they can to help the migrants.

"Many of them were just too overwhelmed. We just started feeding people outside when they were standing outside because everybody was just really hungry. And then moved them inside as soon as we could," Barb Rush with St. Andrews Episcopal Church said."

And now the REPUBLICAN Mass. Governor is doing what needs doing.

So a tale of two Republicans, two Governors... and easy to tell which one actually has human compassion and which one is a deadbeat piece of garbage.

And for those who are all "Biden is doing so horrible about the border issue!"

Bit o facts (damn those facts)

First, Trump:

Then Biden:

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/biden-one-year-mark (of note " Under the Title 42 policy (referencing the section of the U.S. code where it derives its authority), the Biden administration has carried out 990,000 expulsions, more than double the Trump administration’s 460,000, partly because the number of migrants arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border has spiked.")

So this means... what?

Seems DEMS are harder on immigration and the border than even Trump was. It's just Trump had no problem ripping families apart and not giving a shit, while Dems will deport them all together (most of the time).

But BOTH sides are just as horrible and apparently not wanting to deal with the issue what so ever.

Are you for real? Bidumb has been sending thousands of illegal immigrants to many cities in America, all red states, since he "opened" the border gates wide open for the world to just drop on in. Of course, you would never hear that on CNN or MSNBC. Only FOX NEWS is informing us all on what is really going on at the Mexican border. This is why we all need to try and get both sides of the story. FOX NEWS gives us that other side of the story. The other side of the story that you refuse to listen too. The piece of garbage here is Bidumb. He is responsible for the illegal migrants fkn mess and not Trump, liberal.

Thanks to that dimwit of a president close to a million illegals have entered America illegally since he became the dictator of America and they are still coming to America by the tens of thousands every day. It was Trump during his term in office who closed the border and forced the illegal immigrants to remain in Mexico until their asylum hearings could be heard. So try and get your facts straight, will you. Your constant lies and bullshit about Trump does not fly here with me, lefty. I will call you out every time on your liberal bullshit lies. :cool:

now the dumbocrats are now crying about all of the illegals that the governors of Florida and Texas are sending to the blue states.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Yeah, Serryah, what gives? Don't you know you're supposed to post what Jin wants posted?

In the future, you will get his approval for all your posts!

Damn, I just hate it when women get uppity!

Are you and Serryahoo married by chance? You both appear to be quite the leftist liberal team here. Just asking. :D

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Do you ever notice how whenever ANY leftist is talking about people who disagree with them and they know they' have no rational argument they call them the "Worst people on earth"! :) It's like a sign that they know they're being stupid, but YOU'RE the reason they're stupid :)

The outrage from the left shows their stark hypocrisy on the subject of migrants. They're HORRIFIED at the idea someone could send them to live in their neighborhoods, but they know they can't say that so they scream about how they're REALLY horrified at the "worst people on earth". 50 people travelling of their own free will managed to bring the entire left wing establishment to apoplexy, and they think someone ELSE is the 'worst'. Yeash.

Reactions: harrylee

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Do you ever notice how whenever ANY leftist is talking about people who disagree with them and they know they' have no rational argument they call them the "Worst people on earth"! :) It's like a sign that they know they're being stupid, but YOU'RE the reason they're stupid :)

The outrage from the left shows their stark hypocrisy on the subject of migrants. They're HORRIFIED at the idea someone could send them to live in their neighborhoods, but they know they can't say that so they scream about how they're REALLY horrified at the "worst people on earth". 50 people travelling of their own free will managed to bring the entire left wing establishment to apoplexy, and they think someone ELSE is the 'worst'. Yeash.
5CFFA345-1408-4DBF-89BF-FE437F783787.jpeg

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
.... because I was lied to, encouraged to go there believing in things I was told...

But don't let those facts destroy your questionable support of legal immigration.
Link to substantiate that please........

The point of the whole thing has been made. Liberals are hypocrites.

Reactions: The_Foxer