Liberals promise to control pandemic, fight climate change and rebuild economy in throne speech

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yes, because I said that.
You did? Where? I don't remember you saying that.
Leastways in your "mind."
Disclaimer: Sometimes my responses to other people's comments are general and not intended to imply anything specific about the poster. ;) You certainly can't argue that there aren't people, including in here, that continue to take those journalists/news outlets seriously.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You did? Where? I don't remember you saying that.

Disclaimer: Sometimes my responses to other people's comments are general and not intended to imply anything specific about the poster. ;) You certainly can't argue that there aren't people, including in here, that continue to take those journalists/news outlets seriously.
Real good way to make a general comment is to do it as a comment, not a reply, dipshit.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Mandate to enforce EV sales quotas needed by end of next year: Guilbeault

OTTAWA — Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says he wants a national mandate that would force auto dealers to sell a certain number of electric vehicles to be in place by the end of next year.

Road transportation accounts for one-fifth of Canada's total greenhouse-gas emissions. As Canada charts a path to net zero by 2050, eliminating carbon dioxide from passenger cars is a big part of the process.

The federal government wants half of all new passenger cars sold in Canada to be zero-emission vehicles by 2030, and reach 100 per cent by 2035.

Canadians bought more electric vehicles in the last two years than the previous eight combined, but still only three per cent of new cars registered were battery-electric or plug-in hybrids.

The Liberals promised during the election campaign to bring in a sales mandate to meet those goals. Guilbeault said he wants that to happen by the end of 2022, or early 2023 at the latest.

"This (mandate) will not come into effect in the next few months but it will come into effect very soon," he said. "We're at three, maybe four per cent. We have to get the 50 (per cent). It's a lot of heavy lifting."

Guilbeault launched consultations on how to develop that mandate this fall. A new discussion paper for those meetings seeks input on how the mandate should work, the effect on the Canadian auto industry, and whether there should be an interim target before 2030.

Growth in electric vehicles has been swift in the last few years, but almost entirely in the two provinces that already have a provincial sales mandate. Quebec began enforcing sales quotas for electric vehicles in 2018 and British Columbia followed in 2020.

Three in four new electric vehicles registered in Canada in 2020 were in B.C. and Quebec. Ontario, which had a rebate until 2018, accounted for 19 per cent. The rest of Canada accounted for less than five per cent.

Outside of B.C. and Quebec, few dealers have access to electric vehicles, and the wait can be more than six months long. Supply-chain crunches affecting the entire auto industry make it worse.

"That's one of the best arguments in favour of a national zero-emission vehicle mandate," said Joanna Kyriazis, a senior policy adviser at Clean Energy Canada.

"Right now we're really seeing a tale of two Canadas when it comes to EVs."

A mandate must be in place by early 2023 if the targets are going to be met, she said.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...next-year-guilbeault/ar-AARFaTm?ocid=BingNews

I wonder what happens if a dealership only manages to sell say 7 EVs?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They are a good deal for a commuter , but you still need a backup for weekends and holidays .
Many, many moons ago, I did an analysis on the resource use in buying a tiny commuter putt-putt for commuting, and keeping Da Beast for long hauls.

Came out you'd need to run both for 8 years for the fuel savings to equal the resource cost in building the putt-putt.

I'm sure the numbers are different now, but it's likely too early to depend entirely on an EV until they get more charging stations up in places like Cameltoe and Moose Knuckle.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Many, many moons ago, I did an analysis on the resource use in buying a tiny commuter putt-putt for commuting, and keeping Da Beast for long hauls.

Came out you'd need to run both for 8 years for the fuel savings to equal the resource cost in building the putt-putt.

I'm sure the numbers are different now, but it's likely too early to depend entirely on an EV until they get more charging stations up in places like Cameltoe and Moose Knuckle.
Then factor in the Canadian Climate that batteries (all Batteries) don’t enjoy. Every so often up here someone (who’s having battery issues usually) says “I’ve had the same battery for “x” years & never had a problem” but for the rest of us that rely on our vehicles starting every time, a car battery gets swapped out up here every 2-3 years most likely….& they aren’t $10,000 batteries thank God!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mowich

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
No essay or commentary piece on climate change that takes a shot at Greta Thunberg can be taken seriously.

Just a hate-filled old man
Every word he said in his "commentary" is true & also applies to the feckless Biden Administration with their lying ways. They're all reading from the same book - a book that SHOULD be "torched".

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Mandate to enforce EV sales quotas needed by end of next year: Guilbeault

OTTAWA — Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says he wants a national mandate that would force auto dealers to sell a certain number of electric vehicles to be in place by the end of next year.

Road transportation accounts for one-fifth of Canada's total greenhouse-gas emissions. As Canada charts a path to net zero by 2050, eliminating carbon dioxide from passenger cars is a big part of the process.

The federal government wants half of all new passenger cars sold in Canada to be zero-emission vehicles by 2030, and reach 100 per cent by 2035.

Canadians bought more electric vehicles in the last two years than the previous eight combined, but still only three per cent of new cars registered were battery-electric or plug-in hybrids.

The Liberals promised during the election campaign to bring in a sales mandate to meet those goals. Guilbeault said he wants that to happen by the end of 2022, or early 2023 at the latest.

"This (mandate) will not come into effect in the next few months but it will come into effect very soon," he said. "We're at three, maybe four per cent. We have to get the 50 (per cent). It's a lot of heavy lifting."

Guilbeault launched consultations on how to develop that mandate this fall. A new discussion paper for those meetings seeks input on how the mandate should work, the effect on the Canadian auto industry, and whether there should be an interim target before 2030.

Growth in electric vehicles has been swift in the last few years, but almost entirely in the two provinces that already have a provincial sales mandate. Quebec began enforcing sales quotas for electric vehicles in 2018 and British Columbia followed in 2020.

Three in four new electric vehicles registered in Canada in 2020 were in B.C. and Quebec. Ontario, which had a rebate until 2018, accounted for 19 per cent. The rest of Canada accounted for less than five per cent.

Outside of B.C. and Quebec, few dealers have access to electric vehicles, and the wait can be more than six months long. Supply-chain crunches affecting the entire auto industry make it worse.

"That's one of the best arguments in favour of a national zero-emission vehicle mandate," said Joanna Kyriazis, a senior policy adviser at Clean Energy Canada.

"Right now we're really seeing a tale of two Canadas when it comes to EVs."

A mandate must be in place by early 2023 if the targets are going to be met, she said.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...next-year-guilbeault/ar-AARFaTm?ocid=BingNews

I wonder what happens if a dealership only manages to sell say 7 EVs?
Mandate to enforce EV Sales, during a supply chain goat rodeo, a pandemic, and a global microchip shortage? Yeah, why not….China would love it, & currently it’ll help Biden choke out the Canadian Auto Industry. Sounds about right for a Canadian Liberal MP. At least Guilbeualt isn’t the Finance Minister I guess.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Mandate to enforce EV Sales, during a supply chain goat rodeo, a pandemic, and a global microchip shortage? Yeah, why not….China would love it, & currently it’ll help Biden choke out the Canadian Auto Industry. Sounds about right for a Canadian Liberal MP. At least Guilbeualt isn’t the Finance Minister I guess.

6DC14A97-E524-4CFB-98FD-1875165FDE35.gif

we could be in WWIII with Russia and China

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"At least Guilbeualt isn’t the Finance Minister I guess." He's just the convicted criminal leading the climate change charge.

Reactions: B00Mer

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Actually it is surprising how many charging stations in places like Cameltoe and Moose Knuckle , you should get out of the big city more .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually it is surprising how many charging stations in places like Cameltoe and Moose Knuckle , you should get out of the big city more .
I do try, but Covid, man.

I'm old enough and from far enough back in the sticks that I can remember using a map to plan long trips by gas station availability/placement. I've actually seen signs that said "Last Gas For 200 Miles" in real life.