B.C. pipeline protests continue to halt Ontario trains for 5th day in a row

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Thanks for the details, but I'm pretty sure nobody much cared about Hoid's original claim. I certainly didn't assume it was true. Or care.
Do you really have to argue about me with other people?

Isn't that a little adolescent?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I am commenting because it is about the 5th or 6th mention of my name in connection with my ignore listers.

In my internet experience that tends to mean I am about to be kicked out

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I am commenting because it is about the 5th or 6th mention of my name in connection with my ignore listers.
In my internet experience that tends to mean I am about to be kicked out

There is no one moderating on this forum anymore. Otherwise you would have been kicked out a long time ago for racist remarks.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
$240M land-claim settlement with Akwesasne Mohawks approved by federal Liberal cabinet

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Energy sector advocate wonders 'who's pulling the strings' in opposing oil and gas projects in Canada

Dennis Ward
APTN Face to Face

Stephen Buffalo feels there is a lot of misrepresentation around the resource sector and Indigenous people’s opposition to it.

Buffalo is the CEO and president of the Indian Resource Council, representing roughly 130 First Nation communities that are producing or have the potential to produce oil and gas.

“Without a doubt First Nations, oil and gas producing Nations are always cognizant of the environment and protecting the environment,” says Buffalo adding “so, when you see this activism, its somewhat challenging because we don’t know who’s speaking anymore.”

During this episode of Face to Face, Buffalo discusses opportunities and challenges in the energy sector, recent and ongoing protests and blockades and the Wet’suwet’en conflict.

“When you see 20 elected Chiefs give the authorization and that they want to work, they want to provide that economic opportunity for not only their people and the future of their people, I think that needs to be warranted, you know. I think we have to investigate that thoroughly,” says Buffalo.

“The hard part again is who’s really pulling the string here?”

Buffalo believes there are groups that want to land lock Canada’s natural resources and using environmental concerns to do it.

“And some of our people have been more or less taken, involved in that but spinning to a form that I want to protect mother earth,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo says he has heard of environmental groups coming on reserve and offering $300 per person and “$500 if they’re wearing feathers” to come out and participate in protests.

“We have to make sure we have proper representation because when we do want to fight for our rights, our character is not jeopardized,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo is also supportive of Indigenous groups that are looking at purchasing the Trans Mountain pipeline.

“The pipeline, in my view is safe. When First Nations own it then they can protect it a lot better,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo says the fact is, in western Canada, oil and gas is all around First Nations and he believes its warranted they participate.

Buffalo says most of the communities are not trying to be “oil rich tycoons” they’re just trying to tackle issues of poverty, the opioid crisis, missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

“As we continue forward, 643 First Nations will not see very much increase in their federal funding under the Indian Act. So, we have to find a different way and economic development is probably our only way and for some of our communities it’s being involved in the sector. And if that means partnering with a US based company operating out of Calgary, that’s what its going to be” says Buffalo.

According to Buffalo, the energy sector has employed more First Nations in Canada than any other sector, providing roughly 12,000 jobs.

“It really gives our people an opportunity to start working and providing for their families,” Buffalo says.

aptnnews.ca/2020/03/03/energy-sector-advocate-wonders-whos-pulling-the-strings-in-opposing-oil-and-gas-projects-in-canada/

Three thumbs up for you Stephen and please encourage all like-minded FNs to add their voices for the pro-side. The majority of Canadians support you in all your efforts.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Oil and Gas has been buying support for decades.

Nobody who isn't taking part in the profiteering supports oil and gas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I keep hearing about all the paid oil propagandists.

Unlike eco-freak jobs, I've never seen one listed anywhere or know of anyone who pitches O&G like Hymie says

Does anyone have an example? I can find Greenpeace job listings in minutes.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I keep hearing about all the paid oil propagandists.
Unlike eco-freak jobs, I've never seen one listed anywhere or know of anyone who pitches O&G like Hymie says
Does anyone have an example? I can find Greenpeace job listings in minutes.
Try "public relations" or "government relations" or "lobbyist."

Are you seriously suggesting oil companies don't try to influence the government and public opinion?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Head of Campaign (Climate)
G
Greenpeace Canada
Vancouver, BC (+2 others)
Apply on CharityVillage
6 days agoFull–time
Greenpeace Canada (GPCA) is seeking a Campaign Head to provide leadership in the development and implementation of our campaigns to fight climate change and scandalize the fossil fuel industry in Canada.
Greenpeace Canada
More jobs at Greenpeace CanadaSee web results for Greenpeace Canada https://g.co/kgs/zqSm7i
In this manner and blatantly advertising to "scandalized the fossil fuel industry in Canada"?

Find me an O&G PR listing that is as blatant or flat out anti-Canadian.

I'd say you are full of shit if you've never read a posting declaring that myself and others on this site are "paid oil shills".

Last edited:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I support pipelines because without them there are provinces that would suffer if there was ever a world crisis that affected the tanker ships in the ocean.

Everytime Quebec blocks a pipeline to Nova Scotia, they show that they don't give a shit about nova scotians.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I support pipelines because without them there are provinces that would suffer if there was ever a world crisis that affected the tanker ships in the ocean.
Everytime Quebec blocks a pipeline to Nova Scotia, they show that they don't give a shit about nova scotians.
I support pipelines because they are the safest (in terms of liters spilled per liter-kilometer carried), most energy-efficient (in terms of watts per liter transported) and least polluting way to transport fluids.

Any particular pipeline project I'll evaluate on the basis of harm in construction and operation vs. benefit in transporting fluid from point A to point B, considering the available alternatives.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I support pipelines because they are the safest (in terms of liters spilled per liter-kilometer carried), most energy-efficient (in terms of watts per liter transported) and least polluting way to transport fluids.
Any particular pipeline project I'll evaluate on the basis of harm in construction and operation vs. benefit in transporting fluid from point A to point B, considering the available alternatives.

You make a very good point about safety. And, thank you.

My point is about security of supply chain. So long as Nova Scotians are relying on tankers, they are vulnerable to the same natural disasters or political crisis as anyone else in the world that is competing for those limited number of tankers.

We could have a scenario where Canadians can't buy Canadian resources and they end up going without heat for their houses or fuel to get them to work. And, don't say it doesn't happen...a few years ago, the gas stations in Nova Scotia had to ration their gasoline for several days because there was a delay in a tanker.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We could have a scenario where Canadians can't buy Canadian resources and they end up going without heat for their houses or fuel to get them to work. And, don't say it doesn't happen...a few years ago, the gas stations in Nova Scotia had to ration their gasoline for several days because there was a delay in a tanker.
Trust me, you won't hear somebody who (barely) lived through an Oklahoma winter say supply interruptions can't happen.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Try "public relations" or "government relations" or "lobbyist."

Are you seriously suggesting oil companies don't try to influence the government and public opinion?
All Canadian governments of every level do is work for oil and gas.

If they spent half the time on the rest oil the economy that they spend in endless toil to complete pipelines etc the entire country would be better off.

If you want to know why they do it take a look into exHarper cabinet members - they all sit on oil and gas boards of directors.

The old quid pro quo