How the GW myth is perpetuated

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Electricity is fake.
That may actually be true. A physicist once told me that the simplest explanation (from a fairly obscure physical point of view) of the phenomenon that all electrons have the exact same charge and mass is that there's only one electron in the universe, and its propagation through multi-dimensional spacetime is what makes it look to the uninformed observer like there's a lot of them.

I said "Sure thing, buddy" and went back to law school.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
You don't want to talk to him about current flow in solid state - I/Cs, transistors and the like. They tell you all about electrons moving. Orbits. Etc. But once it's inside silicone or similar, it's actually hole movement. Electrons stay still.

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
You don't want to talk to him about current flow in solid state - I/Cs, transistors and the like. They tell you all about electrons moving. Orbits. Etc. But once it's inside silicone or similar, it's actually hole movement. Electrons stay still.

Talk?

All I would like is a published paper.

Instead....we get small ball talk....or this...

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That may actually be true. A physicist once told me that the simplest explanation (from a fairly obscure physical point of view) of the phenomenon that all electrons have the exact same charge and mass is that there's only one electron in the universe, and its propagation through multi-dimensional spacetime is what makes it look to the uninformed observer like there's a lot of them.

Well, you know ... Quantum Physics ...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Unlike you, that drywall is well hung.

That job at Caesar & Caesar is a keeper.

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
...poor pete.

[youtube]d1MWxSUO4ts[/youtube]

there there.....shhhhhh.

....here you go....good girl...shhhh...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
...poor pete.

[youtube]d1MWxSUO4ts[/youtube

there there.....shhhhhh.

....here you go....good girl...shhhh...

Never mind "poor Pete"- he has you pretty well pegged! :) :) :) Looks like you may have the post all f**ked up! :) (For advice in that regard consult Gerryh) :)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can green energy make steel without coal?

Read my post. I said almost. Apparently in your rush to find fault with my answer you overlooked that.

Yuppers I am looking forward to a traffic free morning as the world goes green . I am sure I will be waiting quite a few years .

Sorry, I missed the part where I said there would be no traffic. I guess you did too.

(Rant On) It grows tiresome for someone like you to say that we don't have to reduce power - that we have "green" sources of power that can replace the fossil fuel power we generally have now. Well no we don't. In the San Francisco Bay Area Pacific Gas and Electricity Has built a base of solar and windmill power plants that in perfect conditions could supply 22% of the maximum demand. Two years ago they achieved the highest collection of power from these sources ever with a drought and almost year around mild winds at the perfect velocity for windmills - they generated 3% of the AVERAGE demand. In a normal year it's 2%. And this year it will probably be a great deal less because of almost continuous clouds and winds of inappropriate speeds for power generation.

Forgive me - but I thought that California consisted of a larger area than just San Francisco. You might be interested in these articles.

California is shattering solar records. This bill could take renewable energy to the next level.

California is shattering solar records. This bill could take renewable energy to the next level.

California solar + wind record high at 49.2%, renewable electricity peaks above 56%

https://electrek.co/2017/03/27/california-solar-wind-renewable-electricity-record-high-peak/

The point is green energy is coming and nothing you can say or say will stop it. There are simply too many factors in its favour to stop it and it is being pushed by too many different technologies. I realize that it may cause job losses in your favourite area of energy production, but basically you are in the position of the early 19th Century livery stable owners who saw their businesses being challenged by the automobile.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
No, please use a chain saw. It may not help the deaf people, but at least they will be able to smell the gas/oil mix and not get in the way.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
oxygen is an atom though, and can't be destroyed, only recycled
co2 is not so permanent, being a molecule

Plants produce CO2 (Carbon dioxide) all the time as a metabolic product of respiration, but when light is available, they can use and fix some of this CO2 as a substrate in photosynthesis. When light is available, they also take up additional CO2 from the surrounding atmosphere, and one of the the end products of photosynthesis is O2 (molecular oxygen), so when light is available, on net balance they use/fix more CO2 into other molecules than they produce, and so produce more O2 than CO2.

When light is not available, i.e. when it is dark, they do not have an energy source for photosynthesis, and so cannot fix CO2 and produce O2, but of course they must continue to respire to stay alive (and hence continue to produce CO2), so they become net producers of CO2.

Depending on the species of plant and the environmental conditions, most plants are net fixers/users of CO2 and producers of O2 when averaged out over the course of a light/dark photoperiod (usually 24 hours).
https://www.quora.com/Do-plants-emit-carbon-dioxide-at-night

and then winter comes along...

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Gaseous Oxygen is O2 (ozone is O3) You will not find the single atom "O" just hanging about. It is always part of a molecule.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

Gaseous Oxygen is O2 (ozone is O3) You will not find the single atom "O" just hanging about. It is always part of a molecule.
...and its a molecule that breaks down like Hitlary into the O atom without changing the O atom like I just said.

47% of the earth's crust is oxygen.
yes, and a small percent of the earth's crust is made of dead people too...
:)
at least they have something to breath when the moon is full

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
...and its a molecule that breaks down like Hitlary into the O atom without changing the O atom like I just said.

yes, and a small percent of the earth's crust is made of dead people too...
:)
at least they have something to breath when the moon is full

The O2 molecule doesn't "break down". You will only find "O" alone while it is reacting and oxygen reacts pretty vigorously.