Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Muslims generally love Canada and the Canadian people. :D

It won't look good on Justin if this turns out to be a long-standing feud over money, or a romance gone wrong, or any other number of reasons why someone would shoot up a house of worship.

Yes, selfsame most Muslim people do value their new country and speak well of it.

This 'we' business he keeps writing about is getting wearisome, Cannuck.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
I tell you my impression of the daily life here: the Arab and Muslims look for good relation with the peoples of the world, particularly the peaceful and progressive people of Canada and even also the ambitious American people.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It is very odd.

First, good on the Prime Minister for calling it Terrorism, right off the hop. We get tired of "Oh, well ... he's deranged ... his father used to beat him" yada, yada, yada.
Shooting up anyone's house of worship is Terrorism and nothing else.

The suspect / witness screw up is bizarre. It appears that the Sûreté du Québec arrested the witness who made the 9-1-1 call, like the Keystone Cops that they are known to be. They also arrested a suspect shooter that apparently still had his weapons but gave up without a fight.

So they have two guys ... one a witness and one a suspect. One is a Moroccan Muslim and the other is a French Quebecer. The thing is, the Sûreté is not saying which is which! If the witness is the Arab ...entirely plausible in an attack on a mosque ... and the attacker is some white supremist Quebecois ... not out of the question, the outcome is entirely different than if the attacker is a Muslim terrorist and the witness is a local. Either way , it is an act of terrorism but depending on who did what to whom, the conclusions and outcome are utterly different.

Canada has been lucky to mostly escape this sort of horror, up to now. But it's so ambiguous, you see! Even when we get the "truth" of the matter, it is likely to remain so. May you live in interesting times, indeed!

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
These things are always confused at the start. Trying to work out what happened. What to release to the press. Checking for accomplices. It will smooth over within a day or so.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
These things are always confused at the start. Trying to work out what happened. What to release to the press. Checking for accomplices. It will smooth over within a day or so.

I'd be happy if there were a real police force working on it, not that bungling, incompetent Quebec-Army-in-Waiting.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is very odd.

First, good on the Prime Minister for calling it Terrorism, right off the hop. We get tired of "Oh, well ... he's deranged ... his father used to beat him" yada, yada, yada.
Shooting up anyone's house of worship is Terrorism and nothing else.

If the shooter had been a Muslim or the targets not Muslim, the PM would not have called it terrorism. He would have said more facts need to be known or tried to deflect.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If the shooter had been a Muslim or the targets not Muslim, the PM would not have called it terrorism. He would have said more facts need to be known or tried to deflect.

He didn't know if the shooter was a Muslim or not, last night. Does anybody know for sure, now?
Trudeau is not my buddy. I didn't vote for his party but I remember the mealy-mouth response from the guy that I DID vote for, back when Cpl. Cirillo was killed at the Cenotaph and I have to applaud the Prime Minister for doing the right thing, this time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nonsense.

In both cases we should focus on the victims.

The culprits don't matter and that's why it's pointless (and incredibly stupid) to worry about terrorism.

You really are incredibly stupid today even for you. The culprits ARE what matters. They must be rounded up and executed so they can not murder again.The dead don't much care anymore and the wounded need justice.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
This guy was a twin, he was known to post his anti immigration views on social media. He also has been called arrogant and a loner, but there did not appear to have been violence in his past. If he suffered from mental illness, I'm sure it will come out.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Religious intolerance is exactly what many fled the Middle East for after WWI. The genocide of Christians all over the region is well documented. For the West to now start this intolerance is despicable, and as neanderthal as what happened and is still happening to Christians all over the Middle East. Live and let live.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Religious intolerance is exactly what many fled the Middle East for after WWI. The genocide of Christians all over the region is well documented. For the West to now start this intolerance is despicable, and as neanderthal as what happened and is still happening to Christians all over the Middle East. Live and let live.

Two of my four sets of refugees ancestors came to the New World (escaping certain death) because of religious intolerance ... the first ones arriving in Pennsylvania in 1702. The white settlement of this place started because of religious intolerance. The first Plymouth, Mass. settlers were escaping persecution because of their religious beliefs.

It is deep in the DNA of this place and it sure as hell ain't new.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So it appears now that the shooter was a Trumpite. I wonder if the rest of the Trumpites will be calling for a Trumpite registry in Canada. If this guy is, in fact, a Trumpite there will be two indisputable facts to consider. 1. Trumpites will be one of the leading causes of terrorist killing in Canada and 2. Trumpites are unstable.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I find it hard to believe mentalfloss would laugh at the victims of the Nice tragedy as was mentioned many times in this thread.

I'd like somebody to re-post that thread where he's doing that.

I haven't been on this site for that long. And although I've found mentalfloss to be a little misguided, I've always felt he had a big heart. I'd like to see the proof of the accusations that he was mocking those dead men and women. Because as it stands now, I don't believe it.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Ah to hell with that let's just rush to judgement and speculation, Murphy..........so much more fun even at the expense of others pain. Let's call out the police for not getting the job done overnight.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So it appears now that the shooter was a Trumpite. I wonder if the rest of the Trumpites will be calling for a Trumpite registry in Canada. If this guy is, in fact, a Trumpite there will be two indisputable facts to consider. 1. Trumpites will be one of the leading causes of terrorist killing in Canada and 2. Trumpites are unstable.

FAKE NEWS!! The mosque was full of terrorists and the white guy is the good guy!

...and that's a FACT!!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ah to hell with that let's just rush to judgement and speculation, Murphy..........so much more fun even at the expense of others pain. Let's call out the police for not getting the job done overnight.

Let's call out the police for releasing TWO names ... the suspect and the MAIN WITNESS?!?
Why don't they publish the witnesses phone number and Twitter address, while they're at it.

Totally .... Bloody .... Incompetent!!! .. (Anyone remember OKA?)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
hey kids, here are some fun facts about ye olde mosque:

Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec

By Kate on January 30, 2017 11:38 AM | 64 Comments

Shining The Light on Intelligence, Government and the Muslim Brotherhood;
The mosque in the Quebec City shooting was originally formed by Muslim Student Association according to its own history. The Muslim Student Association was founded by adherents of the Muslim Brotherhood. The mosque donated money on a yearly basis (2001 to 2010) to the International Relief Fund for the Afflicted and Needy (IRFAN). IRFAN, according to the Canada Revenue Agency, was set up to skirt Canadian law and send millions of dollars to HAMAS. The parent organization of HAMAS is the Muslim Brotherhood according to Article Two of the HAMAS charter. IRFAN is now listed as a terrorism entity.

A regular attendee of the mosque is Abdallah Asafiri, according to his own statement to the press. He was listed as the directeur de la formation et de l'animation religieuse au Centre culturel islamique de Québec. Mr Asafiri is also major leadership figure in the Muslim Brotherhood, according to the Muslim Brotherhood itself. He was listed as the "Masul" or the leader for Eastern Canada. He told the press he normally would have been there on Sunday night, but his son borrowed his car and he did not attend when the shooting occurred.
Interesting.