11 dopers fired from Pickering Nuclear Reactor

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Ontario government and the provincial power authority say the safety of citizens was not placed in jeopardy when a group of workers allegedly indulged in “drug-related activity” while on the job.

On November 18, 11 workers at the Pickering nuclear power plant were fired over allegations of drug use, a violation of Ontario Power Generation’s code of conduct that prohibits drug use while on the job.

The workers were all support staff at the plant, the power authority said in a statement.

“When allegations were made of drug-related activity — and it should be emphasized these are still only allegations — we took prompt action to ensure there was not a safety issue and that the plant and the public were protected,” Ontario Power Generation said in a statement.

“After an internal investigation, co-ordinated with the police, we validated this was not a safety issue and was not a question of fitness for duty.”

The authority didn’t reveal further details of the case, citing “privacy laws.”

like, more, man...

Pickering nuclear plant workers fired over alleged ‘drug-related activity’ on the job | News | National Post

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So the Ontario government says it's OK to operate a nuclear power plant while impaired. I would suggest the next person that is charged with impaired driving ask the court to explain how driving a car while impaired is dangerous but operating a nuke plant isn't.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The first sentence.

I think you're reading that sentence wrong.

They're not condoning drug-impaired activity in the workforce. They're just saying that in this particular case, there is no cause for concern of safety.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So the Ontario government says it's OK to operate a nuclear power plant while impaired. I would suggest the next person that is charged with impaired driving ask the court to explain how driving a car while impaired is dangerous but operating a nuke plant isn't.

Can you explain how support staff 'operate' a nuclear power plant?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Nowhere does it say operators, it says "a group of workers" . That could mean janitors or cafeteria staff or even security but not the people that control the plant.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No concern for safety =Media damage control.

They were fired, but apparently Cannuck is looking for an in to come to Ontario and do a bit of drinking and driving.:lol:

I'm just kidding canuckster, I know your swamping duties keep too busy to travel.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have a late family member who was an engineer at the Bruce years ago. he was telling me after a very suspicious car accident that left him basically a paraplegic, that he had just prior to the accident, confided to his engineer buddies on poker night that he smoked Pot...
I always had a creepy feeling about that...cause and effect...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Ontario government and the provincial power authority say the safety of citizens was not placed in jeopardy when a group of workers allegedly indulged in “drug-related activity” while on the job.

On November 18, 11 workers at the Pickering nuclear power plant were fired over allegations of drug use, a violation of Ontario Power Generation’s code of conduct that prohibits drug use while on the job.

The workers were all support staff at the plant, the power authority said in a statement.

“When allegations were made of drug-related activity — and it should be emphasized these are still only allegations — we took prompt action to ensure there was not a safety issue and that the plant and the public were protected,” Ontario Power Generation said in a statement.

“After an internal investigation, co-ordinated with the police, we validated this was not a safety issue and was not a question of fitness for duty.”

The authority didn’t reveal further details of the case, citing “privacy laws.”

like, more, man...

Pickering nuclear plant workers fired over alleged ‘drug-related activity’ on the job | News | National Post

The drug use did not interfere with their ability to order a large pizza with double cheese and extra pepperoni. Always was my favorite after smoking a big fat one.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Are you high?
If thats the best comment you can make in the face of the actual facts man, i suspect iodine is failing YOU
fukushima cool-aid indeed
I suppose the only engineers you talk to drive ho Gage trains.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If thats the best comment you can make in the face of the actual facts man, i suspect iodine is failing YOU
fukushima cool-aid indeed
I suppose the only engineers you talk to drive ho Gage trains.

Are you related to MHz? Ever been dmoked by a piece of heavy equipment?

Should we talk about the climate change scam?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Are you related to MHz? Ever been dmoked by a piece of heavy equipment?

Should we talk about the climate change scam?
ummm...
funny, I wasn't expecting a fact based rebuttal...
I was apparently correct

say...this thread isn't about you is it?
that would certainly explain your qauint posts

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Fact about what? That somebody got high? Good thing he didn't get drunk one night and go into work with a killer hang over.