Harper portraying himself as economic safe haven when his whole strategy is in ruins

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Parasites? Oh my! You really are angry. How do you consider somebody that vacations down south, a parasite? Maybe you should talk to your MP and see if you can have the government create a special tax on travel agencies. Maybe even hand that money over to seniors like you so you can feel better about yourself

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

If you were Prime Minister would you spend $750M of citizens' tax dollars on self-promoting ads?
Harper did.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
ANd still the best PM in the past 40 years.

Sure, if you like increased taxes, budget deficits and poor economic performance. Unlike you, I'm not particularly fond of those things. It's one of the reasons I have trouble believing your are conservative minded.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Last edited:

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Same old song and dance. The Conservatives are no different than any other political aprty in any other country.. Canada has bugger all control of the global economy, but when it is going well, those in power are happy to taik all the credit, and when they tank, all of a sudden is the vagaries of the global economy.

Frankly, I don't think much of Harper, but I had a lot of time for Jim Flaherty. Seemed more the old-skool optimistic conservative, not this newer breed of negative misanthropes. I think this government overall has done well on the economy. I thought Paul Martin did well with the economy too.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I sure as hell did...

Terence Corcoran: The Canadian economy: Nobody saw it coming

Sometimes it looks like the Canadian economy is unraveling like a giant surprise package right in the face of economists and the Bank of Canada. We’ve got big data revisions, shock bank rate cuts, a falling Canadian dollar. Through it all, nobody saw it coming. They didn’t see a thing.

Statistics Canada’s labour force data are notoriously wonky and revision prone. Still, Wednesday’s revamp wiped out 50,000 jobs that economists had assumed had been created during 2014. In an economy with almost 20 million employed, the revisions are small, but they cast doubt on the state of the economy and the outlook for 2015. Institutional economists who did not see it coming now see the labour data as a sure sign the Bank of Canada will lower interest rates again in March.

Down in the U.S., meanwhile, the Federal Reserve bubbled with optimism. It said economic activity has been “expanding at a solid pace” with “strong job gains and a lower unemployment rate.” Best of all, “business fixed investment is advancing,” the Fed said in a statement Wednesday. Some economists say the Fed may raise interest rates later in the year.

With Canada-U.S. employment, investment and interest rates running in opposite directions, the fallout was inevitable. The Canadian dollar fell below 80 U.S. cents amid a consensus that 75 cents seems inevitable.

BMO Chief Economist Douglas Porter commented as he watched the dollar fall: “Just two short years ago to this day, the Canadian dollar was within a cent of parity, back in the days when oil was trading in the mid-90s and a fellow named Carney was still BoC Governor. Given Wednesday’s latest spillage, the currency has promptly shed 19.5% in that two-year span. That is the largest two-year decline in the Canadian dollar ever.”

For this decline in value, added Mr. Porter, “there will be consequences.”

Terence Corcoran: The Canadian economy: Nobody saw it coming | Financial Post

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
So flossie, tell us how you and the libs or progressives would easily fix this so called con problem. Oh and invite waldo in to educate us also please.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
So flossie, tell us how you and the libs or progressives would easily fix this so called con problem. Oh and invite waldo in to educate us also please.
Yes!! l. Realize that war is no longer a profitable proposition. 2. Stop looking at taxpayers as sheep to be sheared. 3.. No spending beyond income, without laying out a guaranteed method of repayment within a reasonable period of time. 5.. Keep that time table. 6. Do not assume taxpayers enjoy having their pockets picked. 7.. Make sure most of what taxpayers are charged return to the country for use where it is supposed to go. 8. Help a country in trouble with food, medicine, education and scientific help BEFORE those in trouble develop aggressive tendencies come to taking help through violence.

Oh, there are many other suggestions, but number one is the most important. Unless a country can produce and sell the hardware necessary for war, it is the quickest way for a country to go broke.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Yes!! l. Realize that war is no longer a profitable proposition. 2. Stop looking at taxpayers as sheep to be sheared. 3.. No spending beyond income, without laying out a guaranteed method of repayment within a reasonable period of time. 5.. Keep that time table. 6. Do not assume taxpayers enjoy having their pockets picked. 7.. Make sure most of what taxpayers are charged return to the country for use where it is supposed to go. 8. Help a country in trouble with food, medicine, education and scientific help BEFORE those in trouble develop aggressive tendencies come to taking help through violence.

Oh, there are many other suggestions, but number one is the most important. Unless a country can produce and sell the hardware necessary for war, it is the quickest way for a country to go broke.

Well, i asked flossie but got humour from you, thanks.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

They could probably start by balancing the budget so things aren't getting worse. At this point, I think Harper is trying to beat Trudeaus record of consecutive deficits.