Study finds no link between medical marijuana legalization and crime

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I know, that's what is soo exciting out this story. My dad had crushed and fused vertibrae, and bone spurs in his spine that left him unable to walk, sit, lie down without pain. He had been on morphine for 15yrs and was a full flegded addict. It worked for him and made it possible for him to not be bedridden. However, it also interfered with his level of conciousness and it was hard to have a conversation with him some days.

I think it's like this for others and even though doctors try to keep patients from abusing substances, when you're in pain and can get out of it for awhile and feel good too....

It takes a wholy sound, mentally healthy human with will power beyond most to be able to not take advantage of the 'feeling good" part of the drug. It's what makes it sooo addictive.

So I went to go and look for the article and there are a gazillion studies being done using all kinds of venon, animal toxins and such.

I definitely sympathies with you story.

In my situation, my mom lost her battle with cancer. She had pancreatic cancer, so she never had much of a chance. In the months that she was treated, opiates were most definitely beneficial for her, but there was never really any chance for addiction to become an issue.

Addiction is definitely the most problematic issue with opiates. If they can find something that has the same effect without becoming habit forming, that would be awesome. I just think that is would be hard to find a substance powerful enough to overcome the kind of pain that opiates can without being something that people want to continue to take.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
How about really, really a whole lot safer? You don't hear of pot heads offing their spouses, getting into bar brawls, robbing banks, getting into a road rage and offing somebody. The worst you can say about it is they get upset if they run out of Cheetos.

A recent study showed domestic violence in homes where alcohol was used was much much higher then in homes wherd pot used.

I may be the exception to the rule, but I doubt it. Pot does not have me sitting on the couch and it does not have me sitting with a bag of cookies working my way through it. If you are the type of person who likes to laze about then its not the pot making you lazy. Its just you.

I am at the gym working out. I am at concerts, museums, snow shoeing, back packing, camping, dancing, hiking. Horseback riding.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's insane that these kids can't have access to a drug that would help them. (It might get them high)

Meet The Children Who Rely On Marijuana To Survive

Since he was just a few months old, 10-year-old Zaki Jackson has suffered from a rare form of epilepsy that, at its worst, causes him to have thousands of seizures a day. The seizures, which his mother describes as a "full body electrocution," render him unable to talk or walk, and sometimes cause him to stop breathing.
Over the past decade, his family has tried to combat his syndrome with 17 different pharmaceutical medications, a specialized diet and alternative forms of therapy like acupuncture. The various medications have caused him to gain weight, become incoherent, experience extreme cramping and lose his ability to sleep, but they've never stopped the seizures.
"His brain could never function well," Dr. Margaret Gedde, one of Zaki's doctors, told The Huffington Post. "He could never be present."
Gedde recommended Zaki start taking a strain of medical marijuana that's high in cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive ingredient known for treating seizures, and low in THC, which causes pot smokers to feel "high." Since Zaki began the treatment more than a year ago, he has been seizure-free.
"He had 10 years of nonstop seizures and sedating medication," Gedde said. "He's now able to start developing as a normal child. He's a delightful, charming kid. Before that he couldn't even be in contact with people. It was a dramatic, complete change."
Zaki is one of more than 180 Colorado children currently being treated with a special strain of medical cannabis that's helping to combat their extreme seizures and other debilitating conditions. The strain, known as "Charlotte's Web," was developed by a group of brothers who run the Realm of Caring Foundation in Colorado Springs. It is named for 7-year-old Charlotte Figi, whose successful treatment was featured in Dr. Sanjay Gupta's CNN documentary "Weed" last year.
Charlotte's Web and similar strains are administered in liquid or capsule form and, Gedde says, produce little to no side effects. Because of the low THC count, users don't experience a traditional marijuana high.
"It's amazing; it's completely remarkable," Gedde said. "It does stop seizures. It doesn't hurt them."
Marijuana has a long history of effectively treating seizures. In 1843, British Army doctor William O'Shaughnessy published an article documenting his use of cannabis oil to stop an infant's near-constant convulsions. But because marijuana remains illegal on a federal level, modern research scarcely focuses on the plant's medical benefits.
The use of cannabis treatment in cases like Zaki's is "groundbreaking, in that we haven't had the chance to document this," Gedde explained. "We're trying to pull the experiences of these parents into publishable work. Animal and laboratory studies help support and explain what we see."
Gedde, who holds a doctorate in biophysical chemistry from Stanford University, spent years in the pharmaceutical industry before switching to a focus on alternative medicine. She recently decided to dedicate her Colorado-based clinic solely to medical cannabis.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think someone may be on to something, I guess if bank robberies were legalized there would be no connection to crime. -:)

Robbery by banks is legal.

Years ago an M.D. came right out and said although marijuana is effective at treating some diseases, there are other drugs that are more effective. Not sure what his credentials were or if in fact there was validity in what he stated!

There is a valid argument. But it is not true for all people in all circumstances. Some people are alergic to pot. It should be considered as another tool in the kit.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
There are two sides to this argument and both sides can be somewhat dishonest in their presentation. First of all, pot is a gateway drug if you have a predisposition to addiction and you can become addicted (chronic) with weed. You can also become unmotivated, lazy, lethargic and it does impair your ability to drive. There are many people who smoke only weed and do nothing else productive, saying that their use of pot is not impairing their judgment or ability to function is an outright lie. The outlandish claims regarding miracle cures from cannabis are also ridiculous.

On the other hand: Cannabis only poses an issue for someone who has a predisposition to addiction, but then so does alcohol (already legal) and prescription medication. The notion that we can save these individuals from themselves by dumping billions of law enforcement dollars into what amounts to Prohibition is a waste of tax dollars that could be used more effectively elsewhere.

I think we should legalize (not decriminalize) pot and control its sale and distribution while imposing a tax on its sale. This would not hurt our tax base. There still needs to be control, a minimum age like 19, education about it and a proper test to see if someone is legally impaired while under the influence. Not finding trace amounts a week after they've smoked and determining they are stoned when in fact they are not.

I also think that whether the 'nay sayers' like it or not, marijuana will eventually be legal. The United States (of all places) is beginning to change its stance as we have seen in Colorado, California, etc. Bottom line is this, we can't save people from throwing away their lives, all we are doing is fattening up the crooks wallets and create an underground economy. Legalization and education.

That's my take on it.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Would faulty reasoning/logic/politics behind the illegalization have any weight?

Politics for sure. Pols do not like the people to have to much enjoyment in life.

Would you consider alcohol to be a drug?

What is it classified as?

By medical professionals, I mean more like the FDA, which I assume employs some doctors, but also all types of medical scientists.

As I have said before though, I am not angling for it to be legal or not. All I really want is the choice to be made objectively.

The FDA and Docs can say whatever they want. Until the politicians declare marijuana a legal substance that point is moot.

If you happened to be someone with a condition that causes a lot of paid, you likely would not stand by that opinion.

I would! And they are a scourge.

I have had to have two shots of morphine on two different occasions. The stuff was incredible. I went from severe and maddening pain to flying high and pain free.

But when people who aren't in severe pain are taking them because they are addicted... they are a scourge. I've seen it... not pretty.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There are two sides to this argument and both sides can be somewhat dishonest in their presentation. First of all, pot is a gateway drug if you have a predisposition to addiction and you can become addicted (chronic) with weed. You can also become unmotivated, lazy, lethargic and it does impair your ability to drive. There are many people who smoke only weed and do nothing else productive, saying that their use of pot is not impairing their judgment or ability to function is an outright lie. The outlandish claims regarding miracle cures from cannabis are also ridiculous.

On the other hand: Cannabis only poses an issue for someone who has a predisposition to addiction, but then so does alcohol (already legal) and prescription medication. The notion that we can save these individuals from themselves by dumping billions of law enforcement dollars into what amounts to Prohibition is a waste of tax dollars that could be used more effectively elsewhere.

I think we should legalize (not decriminalize) pot and control its sale and distribution while imposing a tax on its sale. This would not hurt our tax base. There still needs to be control, a minimum age like 19, education about it and a proper test to see if someone is legally impaired while under the influence. Not finding trace amounts a week after they've smoked and determining they are stoned when in fact they are not.

I also think that whether the 'nay sayers' like it or not, marijuana will eventually be legal. The United States (of all places) is beginning to change its stance as we have seen in Colorado, California, etc. Bottom line is this, we can't save people from throwing away their lives, all we are doing is fattening up the crooks wallets and create an underground economy. Legalization and education.

That's my take on it.
excellent!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Whole new med pot rules came into play today in Canada. People can't grow their own legally anymore and you can only buy from corporate growers.

And THAT is something the government will never allow from their grasp. They want control of the weed business for the revenue.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A recent study showed domestic violence in homes where alcohol was used was much much higher then in homes wherd pot used.

I may be the exception to the rule, but I doubt it. Pot does not have me sitting on the couch and it does not have me sitting with a bag of cookies working my way through it. If you are the type of person who likes to laze about then its not the pot making you lazy. Its just you.

I am at the gym working out. I am at concerts, museums, snow shoeing, back packing, camping, dancing, hiking. Horseback riding.

I think you may be onto something there, Twila. I don't think alcohol makes people violent, I think alcohol removes inhibitions- shy, reserved people can be socialable and humourous and mean people can become vicious.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've seen quite a few people dive into the gutter through drugs but have seen 10X the amount of people dive a into the gutter with a big splash with alcohol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've seen quite a few people dive into the gutter through drugs but have seen 10X the amount of people dive a into the gutter with a big splash with alcohol.

No arguments there with regards to weed. Alcohol IMO is more damaging than weed.

However I am seeing more people go into the gutter because of opiates rather than alcohol. Sign of the times maybe?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And THAT is something the government will never allow from their grasp. They want control of the weed business for the revenue.
I think they are finding out the profits they thought were there aren't. $7.50 a gram (30% off first 30gr if on disability or pensions). $52.50 taxes included for a 1/4oz is cheaper than the street($60 average)

I bet that same bag is worth $125 in New York City which would make for good tax revenue.

It's a different world up here.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think they are finding out the profits they thought were there aren't. $7.50 a gram (30% off first 30gr if on disability or pensions). $52.50 taxes included for a 1/4oz is cheaper than the street($60 average)

I bet that same bag is worth $125 in New York City which would make for good tax revenue.

It's a different world up here.

It is still income no?

I know my state is probably addicted to nicotine more than the person that smokes. If every smoker in Massachusetts quit... or even half of them quite the State would be in serious financial difficulty.

As far as weed in Massachusetts... I feel that although the added income is tempting for the state government... the thought of giving the people more freedom is not too tempting.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Not to go too far overboard...anyone have easy info re: state/provincial lottery revenue vs smokes vs alcohol and such? Just curious.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not to go too far overboard...anyone have easy info re: state/provincial lottery revenue vs smokes vs alcohol and such? Just curious.

Mass Tax on a pack of cigarettes.... $3.51 per pack. The state is absolutely dependent on that income.

Cigarette tax is a bad habit for Mass. - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Mass Lottery.... $983 Million turned over to the state per year!

Our state is addicted to nicotine and gambling!

The alcohol tax is kind of low from what I can see... Liberals like their booze too.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure without the 649 (and those stupid VLT machines), booze and smoke taxes, our governments could barely do sh!t.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
$56 for a 24 beer, $14.25 for a pack of smokes in SK, and consider yourself lucky.....for now

Ummh??????????? I was in the liquor store with my bro-in-law a week ago and he picked up a 24 pack of Kokanee for $39.

Depends on which drugs you are talking about, crack and crystal meth in my opinion are a lot worse than alcohol. How many people on crystal meth for instance do it for a couple of hours once a week or once a month? As far as marijuana goes I'd say it's much safer than alcohol, up until the point where it leads to something else. I think on average alcohol may take it's toll at a more advanced age than drugs. I think young people who over do alcohol can last a long time as long as they remain active. It's when they get into their 50s and 60s and become "couch potatoes" that the damage escalates!

Last edited: