Study finds no link between medical marijuana legalization and crime

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh. Oh! Me! Me! I know! Pick me!

The answer is the Supreme Court, Mr. Eaglesmack.

And a case needs to be brought before them.

How often does any other potential medication get debated in congress so much? Normally that is delegated to an organization like the FDA that tests drugs for effectiveness and side effects.

Marijuana is an illegal substance.

It isn't off the mark because that is how the debate is being framed by people on both sides. It is a shame, since if it is beneficial for people who are sick, they shouldn't be denied access based on political BS.

But it is accurate. Getting it approved as medicine is one step towards recreational use.

Studies have shown that pot is also good for people with anxiety and those experiencing lonliness. So itshelpful for people who aren't sick per se.

I don't see why some one who enjoys a hoot should be considered a criminal while someone who likes to get drunk is just an average citizen.

Forget the slippery slope arguement. Thats 1950's faulty logic.

Weed makes you feel good! Lots of drugs do.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Studies have shown that pot is also good for people with anxiety and those experiencing lonliness. So itshelpful for people who aren't sick per se.

I don't see why some one who enjoys a hoot should be considered a criminal while someone who likes to get drunk is just an average citizen.

Forget the slippery slope arguement. Thats 1950's faulty logic.

I really don't care if it is legal or not. I just think that if it is beneficial to people for medical reasons, that it is a shame that those people's fates have to be lumped in with people who just want to use it recreationally.

Marijuana is an illegal substance.

I think you know what I am mean here.

Medical decisions should be made by medical professionals.

Let congress debate about the morality of letting people get high for fun. If the there is scientific proof that a drug is safe and effective, that is all that should be required for drug to be available to patients.

But it is accurate. Getting it approved as medicine is one step towards recreational use.

I am not disagreeing with you that it is an accurate description of the current debate, but it doesn't have to be.

It is not like the legal use of opiates as medication has made them any more legal as a street drug.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I really don't care if it is legal or not. I just think that if it is beneficial to people for medical reasons, that it is a shame that those people's fates have to be lumped in with people who just want to use it recreationally.

I think you know what I am mean here.

Medical decisions should be made by medical professionals.

Let congress debate about the morality of letting people get high for fun. If the there is scientific proof that a drug is safe and effective, that is all that should be required for drug to be available to patients.

I am not disagreeing with you that it is an accurate description of the current debate, but it doesn't have to be.

It is not like the legal use of opiates as medication has made them any more legal as a street drug.

I do know what you mean but the fact is that it is an illegal substance.

And letting Doctors decide? I would not hedge your bets on that one. Many do not want it legal as they believe there are other drugs that are better. From what I can tell the medical community has the position that says yeah it helps alleviate some ailments but there are other drugs that do more.

Opiates are a scourge.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Would faulty reasoning/logic/politics behind the illegalization have any weight?

Has this road been travelled in this debate yet?

Weed makes you feel good! Lots of drugs do.

Would you consider alcohol to be a drug?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

And letting Doctors decide? I would not hedge your bets on that one. Many do not want it legal as they believe there are other drugs that are better. From what I can tell the medical community has the position that says yeah it helps alleviate some ailments but there are other drugs that do more.

By medical professionals, I mean more like the FDA, which I assume employs some doctors, but also all types of medical scientists.

As I have said before though, I am not angling for it to be legal or not. All I really want is the choice to be made objectively.

Opiates are a scourge.

If you happened to be someone with a condition that causes a lot of paid, you likely would not stand by that opinion.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

If you happened to be someone with a condition that causes a lot of paid, you likely would not stand by that opinion.

They are now testing jellyfish poison for pain control. It's affects the nerves, and stops pain. They may be able to do away with opiates for some types of pain. It looks promising.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Opiates are a scourge.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed - CNN.com

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They are now testing jellyfish poison for pain control. It's affects the nerves, and stops pain. They may be able to do away with opiates for some types of pain. It looks promising.

There are lots of different substances that can help with pain, but it would take a major breakthrough to find anything as effective as opiates.

In terms of my "personal" experience with medical marijuana, it only comes from when my mom was prescribed marijuana in pill form when she had cancer. It was not a good experience for her.

The thing with opiates is when they are administered for pain properly, they don't make you "high". If anything they just make you drowsy. The marijuana pills made her really really high, which was not something she enjoyed.

I'm sure it may be effective for other people, but that experience does give me some insight into why some doctors do not think it is all that good compared to other options.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There are lots of different substances that can help with pain, but it would take a major breakthrough to find anything as effective as opiates.

I know, that's what is soo exciting out this story. My dad had crushed and fused vertibrae, and bone spurs in his spine that left him unable to walk, sit, lie down without pain. He had been on morphine for 15yrs and was a full flegded addict. It worked for him and made it possible for him to not be bedridden. However, it also interfered with his level of conciousness and it was hard to have a conversation with him some days.

I think it's like this for others and even though doctors try to keep patients from abusing substances, when you're in pain and can get out of it for awhile and feel good too....

It takes a wholy sound, mentally healthy human with will power beyond most to be able to not take advantage of the 'feeling good" part of the drug. It's what makes it sooo addictive.

So I went to go and look for the article and there are a gazillion studies being done using all kinds of venon, animal toxins and such.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Being "safer than alcohol" really isn't much of a standard, Cliffy! -:)
How about really, really a whole lot safer? You don't hear of pot heads offing their spouses, getting into bar brawls, robbing banks, getting into a road rage and offing somebody. The worst you can say about it is they get upset if they run out of Cheetos.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How about really, really a whole lot safer? You don't hear of pot heads offing their spouses, getting into bar brawls, robbing banks, getting into a road rage and offing somebody. The worst you can say about it is they get upset if they run out of Cheetos.

Oh, O.K. since you put it that way!