BREAKING: WABC: One dead in school shooting in Newtown, CT

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The usual pro-gun rhetoric. But it does not change the facts that people with guns kill people. School shootings (70 since 1994) are the American disease and they are fueled by gun ownership. I could care less what states have strict gun laws and which don't. Somehow the latest shooter got hold of firearms and I note that the firearm of choice was a long gun with a 30 round magazine. So much for banning the long gun registry. The Conservatives are guilty of supporting firearms that are far more deadly that any handgun.

An American disease??

Canada, Germany, and Great Britain have all had school shootings.

And VERY strict gun control.

BTW, the weapon used in Connecticut is restricted in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
An American disease??

Canada, Germany, and Great Britain have all had school shootings.

And VERY strict gun control.

BTW, the weapon used in Connecticut is restricted in Canada.

Ahh there you go again shattering agenda BS with facts. You are liable to destroy some poor fanatic's self esteem.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ahh there you go again shattering agenda BS with facts. You are liable to destroy some poor fanatic's self esteem.

Yeah, I'm getting a little tired the way the media is inundated with this fetish of "gun control"- control the criminals, identify the mentally handicapped, keep them all away from the guns, BUT LEAVE THE GUNS ALONE. It's not practical to think all of it can be stopped but at least it would be a start and make more sense than focussing on guns.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The usual pro-gun rhetoric. But it does not change the facts that people with guns kill people. School shootings (70 since 1994) are the American disease and they are fueled by gun ownership. I could care less what states have strict gun laws and which don't. Somehow the latest shooter got hold of firearms and I note that the firearm of choice was a long gun with a 30 round magazine. So much for banning the long gun registry. The Conservatives are guilty of supporting firearms that are far more deadly that any handgun.

Nothing to see here... Move along

École Polytechnique massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_University_massacre

Such hypocrites

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not hypocritical to point out that they've hit epidemic proportions in the US compared to Canada. And seriously, look up Canadian school shootings and post the recent ones, it would prove your point better than finding the oldest single one.

U.S. has 10 times as many school kids as Canada. I do remember one case near Tabor AB where a preacher's son was shot to death about 10 years or more ago.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
We have the same mass shooting problem here in Canada as the US. Our problem may not appear as big as the US, but the US is also 10x's the size of Canada. Therefore per capita we have about the same size of problem.

Our culture isn't that different from the US.

We also don't treat mental illness effectively here either.

People can still become isolated socially here too.

Firearms are nearly as accessible here as they are in the US.

BTW, I find myself agreeing with Colpy regarding firearms regulations...

I think we all agree that people with violent criminal records, mental illnesses and serious personal problems should not be able to easily access firearms.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's not hypocritical to point out that they've hit epidemic proportions in the US compared to Canada. And seriously, look up Canadian school shootings and post the recent ones, it would prove your point better than finding the oldest single one.

No Karrie... it's strictly a US Disease... your country is fine and it could never happen there. The same with Europe... no mass shootings there either. Its just us. Canada is immune to such things and I am sure there will never be a school shooting or mass shooting.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Holy smokes, Columbine was in '99 - I remember the day, we were on the ferry when we heard the news, in the process of moving from Vancouver Island to Christina Lake, so Taber was obviously very soon after. How time flies!

Columbine I guess doesn't count.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean ES, but as far as I'm concerned Taber and École Polytechnique both count as mass shootings at a school.

Canadians have no reason to be smug or complacent regarding gun violence. Our problems with gun violence are about as serious as the American ones.