Epic Anti-Global Warming Monologue

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And without further legislation in place, the polluter passes that cost onto everyone else... :roll:

Well look at emissions for instance.

How do we get industry to actually lower emissions?

The CPC have pledged to meet targets by 2020 (which is fine), but how are they going to do it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well look at emissions for instance.

The CPC have pledged to meet targets by 2020 (which is fine), but how are they going to do it?
We should go back to the good ol' days of the 70's when CO2 wasn't an issue because industry and consumers were putting out CO (a non-GHG) with high sulfer content.

The polluter?

Do you not understand that you, as the end user, is the polluter?
Whoa...deja vu.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
We should go back to the good ol' days of the 70's when CO2 wasn't an issue because industry and consumers were putting out CO (a non-GHG) with high sulfer content.

Hmmmm, the 70's.... Say, wasn't that around the time that suzuki was braying away like a mule about the coming, humanity-induced ice-age

Whoa...deja vu.

Great minds, eh?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Guys. What is industry going to do to lower their C02 emissions?

There is no doubting that we need to reduce emissions - we all know that.

It's just a matter of how we're going to enforce that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Enact new legislation that will protect the consumer from downloading, then enforce current pollution laws.

Guys. What is industry going to do to lower their C02 emissions?
Pay sdome other company in some other country to go without?

It's just a matter of how we're going to enforce that.
I don't like yours or Mulcair ideas on the matter.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
While it can be supported.

Theories change as new evidence is found.

Yes. That's not a bad thing. Science is self-correcting.

We aren't talking about plastic bags here Ton. We're talking about transportation, heating and industry.

Sure. But can you explain why charging a few cents for a bag will produce a greater behavioural change than say, a few cents on a litre of gas? I'll grant that at the moment there aren't many alternatives. But I've never been one who said the changes would be immediate. Energy use applies to everything, I think it will take some time. But I don't see any evidence that the response to a cost imposed on plastic bags is unique.

Forcing green intiatives, will be past onto the ratepayers.

Of course, that's exactly how it should be passed on.

Those that can't, will be made to suffer.

I never said it wouldn't be without hardship. But you're making a fine argument now for something like GST rebates.

It's a forced response

Right...as of right now nobody, or very few, are paying for their pollution of a public good. The change has to be forced. All changes are forced by something...

Emissions credits aren't the same thing as a tax applied to goods. Emission credits were auctioned, and in some cases given away. That is essentially giving someone free money. Again, that's why there should be a debate about the solutions. It's easy to see that the European Credit trading scheme had overlooked somethings, so going forward that something others can draw upon in their own national/international considerations.

http://thegwpf.org/best-of-blogs/4867-germanys-top-environmentalist-turns-climate-sceptic.html

What does that have to do with Germany's actual performance? A sceptic? OK...
You have your position, what I've read, seems to put a shadow on how good the German model is really doing.

Well the first links were about a European wide scheme, and don't specifically say anything about how Germany fared, the last is about an IPCC skeptic...Germany over-performed, while countries like Ireland, Portgual, Spain, and Greece all gained emissions massively, as high as 27%. As a funny coincidence all four are now also facing considerable economic uncertainty, with likely bailouts coming from countries like Germany.

You mean like carbon credit trading schemes?

I would prefer a tax applied to all point source of emissions, as opposed to a credit trading scheme that can be gamed.

I'm all for solution dude, but punitive measures, directed at the working class, are not the answer.

Do you have any suggestions then? Tax credits for innovative R&D? Or how about tax breaks based on emission reductions? Incentives versus disincentives? How about a mixture of both?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Yes, and theories only become theories after countless repetition, and consistent results are found with different methodology. A theory is robust.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people refer to theories in the diminished capacity of a police inspector developing a theory for who committed a crime. Theories are unlikely to be falsified because it is the result of many scientists results, with different methods, all arriving at the same conclusion. That's what makes them robust. The results don't depend on which method you choose. Of course that's not to say that some methods don't have better application to specific situations.

The germ theory of disease, will not be overturned. We know that microbes cause disease. We know many of the pathways they use biologically and biochemically to cause infection in host cells. We can use our knowledge to prevent disease, to treat disease, and even cure disease.

A theory. A damned good theory.

Applying taxes work, it passes the costs to users. Anytime you associate a cost with something that previously was free, it changes people's behaviours. Innovation is a response to those changes. In another thread I brought up Germany. They are innovating, and to boot they are developing high value manufacturing that will ensure they are world leaders far into the future.

It used to be that people saw opportunity in these situations.

Much like the Dutch disease debacle, it would be preferable if policy makers, innovators, business leaders etc. would debate the merits of solutions.
“If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts.” - Albert Einstein

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sure. But can you explain why charging a few cents for a bag will produce a greater behavioural change than say, a few cents on a litre of gas? I'll grant that at the moment there aren't many alternatives. But I've never been one who said the changes would be immediate. Energy use applies to everything, I think it will take some time. But I don't see any evidence that the response to a cost imposed on plastic bags is unique.
A "did you know" for you. It was the oil industry that funded greens to lobby for the plastic bag.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So, yes, it's true that fees (like the bag fee in Toronto) can get people to actually change behaviour. So I don't want to hear people complaining about taxes being ineffective because you're wrong.

Now that we have that out of the way, what kind of new legislation (CDNBear) do you think would get industry to actually lower emissions?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure. But can you explain why charging a few cents for a bag will produce a greater behavioural change than say, a few cents on a litre of gas?
Because the are viable alternatives, readily and cheaply available to the end user of plastic bags. While the size of our country, and the necessity of travel for work or pleasure, makes conservation fuel far more difficult to endure.

Of course, that's exactly how it should be passed on.
And my bottom line goes down. Yes selfish I know. But I can't be the only one trying to eek a living and stay ahead of the economy.

Passing it onto the end user, while the profit margin of big business doesn't fluctuate, seems punitive to me.

I never said it wouldn't be without hardship. But you're making a fine argument now for something like GST rebates.
Awesome, taxes credits. In the end, a wash.

Do you have any suggestions then? Tax credits for innovative R&D? Or how about tax breaks based on emission reductions? Incentives versus disincentives? How about a mixture of both?
Ya I like those ideas, but you already said I should be punitively taxed, for trying to survive.

Thanks by the way.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Been trying to explain this for years.It is a whole industry fueled by fearmongering.

And for 20 odd years we thought we had it bad with the anti logging/anti fish farming crowd. Actually many are the same people they just found a bigger revenue stream.