Freedom, Justice and Democracy RE:Egypt

Which person or group supports freedom, justice and democracy in Egypt

• Total voters

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Latest developments:

Egypt's military leaders met and came out with a very weak statement of support for Mubarak and hinted that he would be gone by Friday morning.

Mubarak delivered a speech on national TV, basically telling the protesters he intends to soldier on.

The crowd was in a party mood expecting a resignation. When that didn't happen, the mood suddenly turned angry and anxious... I don't think its possible to underestimate the level of angry and frustration felt by Egyptians.

Tomorrow is prayer day and I expect a show down. Instigators have called for a 20 million person march!

The Egyptian military has only a slim chance of preventing complete chaos, only if they remove Mubarak from power themselves tonight. If that doesn't happen I expect the country will melt down completely tomorrow right after Friday prayers.

I've been reading the news reports and appears that something big is going to happen within 12 hours. If the military doesn't seize power tonight, then I doubt they will be able to stop what's coming tomorrow after Friday prayers.

I can't believe Mubarak was so stupid! Talk about dashing expectations......why did he go on a national broadcast simply to say "fcuk you" to the nation at large? Is he so foolish he didn't see how much that would inflame the opposition?

I think they are at a crossroads myself, but I am not holding my breath that Mubarak will go, or be thrown out by the Army, which has been the tool that has kept him in power for 30 years........

I heard on CBC a financial expert asked about the corruption of Mubarak and his henchmen and their families: the amount of money stolen from poor Egypt....at LEAST 70 Billion dollars. Yep, that's BILLION, with a "b".

I hope he goes, in fact I hope he is tossed out by some democrat who sets up open and free elections, including all opposition factions.

And I hope the Egyptian people reject any coalition with the Muslim Brotherhood included.

Because if they don't, there will be no democracy in Egypt..........and there will be war.

Everything is in flux......a very dangerous time.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

CAIRO – Egypt's powerful military backed President Hosni Mubarak's plan to stay in office until September elections, enraging hundreds of thousands of protesters who deluged the squares of Cairo and Alexandria and marched on presidential palaces and state television — key symbols of the authoritarian regime.
The army's show of solidarity with the president was a heavy blow to protesters who called on the military to take action to push Mubarak out after he announced Thursday night that he would hand most of his powers to Vice President
but remain in office.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt

They have done it before, these croweds do not appear ready to take on tanks just yet. Just a matter of time. The U.S. is not supporting Mubarak, we have stepped back.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Its official. Egypt's military has sided with Mubarak:
Egypt's military has endorsed the transfer of powers from embattled President Hosni Mubarak to Vice President Omar Suleiman and called for a return to normal life in the Egyptian capital, wracked for 18 days by anti-Mubarak demonstrations.

The military released its statement Friday after a meeting of its Supreme Council, on a day protest organizers predicted the largest demonstrations since the start of the popular uprising last month....
Egypt's Military Supports Mubarak | Middle East | English

Go to bed children. Don't concern yourselves with the business of adults...

Meanwhile protesters who are being described as angry and furious, call today "Farewell Friday" in what they claim will be a final push to remove Mubarak from power by taking the protests to "the doorsteps of political institutions". Protesters have called on the military not to interfere. Mubarak appears to have left Cairo for Sharm el-Sheikh (resort area on the Sinai).

Currently a large crowd has formed (thousands) around the state television building after having ripped apart barricades surrounding the building. They may attempt try to seize control of state media as the size of the crowd swells. Large crowds have formed near the Presidential Palace and other government institutions as well as the biggest crowd ever in Tahrir square, which has over flowed into the surrounded streets.

If the protesters attempt to take over government institutions as appears to be the most likely scenario, what happens next will depend on the military. Protesters claim they won't initiate violence but will meet violence with violence...

BTW, front line soldiers earn about $20 a month and get two crappy meals a day at the barracks. I doubt that's enough to convince them not to join the protesters, let alone shoot on friends and family

A massive well organized crowd has just overwhelmed army positions guarding the State Television building. No violence, but the soldiers have given up trying to control the crowd.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Canadian government supports the Israeli position without reservation. This means Canada supports the coming slaughter of Egyptians and all the other aspirants to democracy in the ME. When they come for us there will be no one left to stay those hands. Canada has long since ceased to be a sovereign nation. How is it we cannot imagine that we will face the same fate as Egyptians?

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Mubarak steps down.
The AP is reporting it was a Military Coup, I doubt it turned out that way. Hopefully there won't be any violent retribution against pro Mubarak supporters so the country can move ahead instead of moving back..

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
It was/is hard to believe anything coming out of AP. I`m just glad the whole thing is finished with.

Now we can get on with more important and meaningfull news to the West, things like...Lindsay Lohan`s troubles?

The AP is reporting it was a Military Coup, I doubt it turned out that way. Hopefully there won't be any violent retribution against pro Mubarak supporters so the country can move ahead instead of moving back..

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Now will the price of oil come down?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Egyptian military now runs Egypt until free and fair elections are held in the near future. Cool!

Millions of people have flooded into Tahrir Square as people are laughing, singing and dancing in the streets. History has been made today.