Palestinian jailed for rape after claiming to be Jewish

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
israel has proven they can be just uncivilized as their neighbours. just because they put someone to jail for a ridiculous crime instead of death, it's still barbarism either way. the man shouldn't even be on trial, it's a joke.

Well, I think there is a slight difference between putting somebody to death and giving him a short prison sentence.

also so we have no idea if this man would be put to death in an Muslim country for a similar crime.
In Islamic countries, people (especially women) are sentenced to death (usually by stoning) for lot less serious crimes than this.

Incidentally, I am not aware that Israel has ever sentenced a woman to be stoned to death, for any crime. I am not aware that Israel sentences homosexuals to death, as Islamic countries like Iran do. Israel has never sentenced anybody to death or given somebody long prison sentence for converting away from Judaism (as they do in Islamic countries for converting away from Islam).

I condemn this prison sentence; I think it is barbaric and inhumane. But let us have some perspective here. There is no comparison between Israel and Islamic countries. Islamic countries are much more barbaric, much more nasty and vicious than Israel.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
also so we have no idea if this man would be put to death in an Muslim country for a similar crime.
For all we know bangin a Jewish princess might get him a medal of honour.

You never know.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I think there is a slight difference between putting somebody to death and giving him a short prison sentence.

In Islamic countries, people (especially women) are sentenced to death (usually by stoning) for lot less serious crimes than this.

Incidentally, I am not aware that Israel has ever sentenced a woman to be stoned to death, for any crime. I am not aware that Israel sentences homosexuals to death, as Islamic countries like Iran do. Israel has never sentenced anybody to death or given somebody long prison sentence for converting away from Judaism (as they do in Islamic countries for converting away from Islam).

I condemn this prison sentence; I think it is barbaric and inhumane. But let us have some perspective here. There is no comparison between Israel and Islamic countries. Islamic countries are much more barbaric, much more nasty and vicious than Israel.

I agree that Israel doesn't stone adulterous women. But read any report from any human rights group regarding Israel and its pretty clear Israel is also barbaric and inhumane.

Barbaric and inhumane?

Amnesty International 2010 Annual Report
http://thereport.amnesty.org/sites/default/files/AIR2010_AZ_EN.pdf#page=129

[start quote]Israeli forces committed war crimes and other
serious breaches of international law in the Gaza
Strip during a 22-day military offensive code-named
Operation “Cast Lead” that ended on 18 January.
Among other things, they carried out indiscriminate
and disproportionate attacks against civilians,
targeted and killed medical staff, used Palestinian
civilians as “human shields”, and indiscriminately
fired white phosphorus over densely populated
residential areas. More than 1,380 Palestinians,
including over 330 children and hundreds of other
civilians, were killed. Much of Gaza was razed to the
ground, leaving vital infrastructure destroyed, the
economy in ruins and thousands of Palestinians
homeless.

Israeli forces continued to impose severe
restrictions on the movement of Palestinians in the
Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) throughout
2009, hampering access to essential services and
land. The restrictions included a military blockade of
the Gaza Strip, which effectively imprisoned the
1.5 million residents and resulted in a humanitarian
crisis. Despite this, Israel often stopped
international aid and humanitarian assistance from
entering Gaza. Permission to leave Gaza to receive
medical treatment was denied or delayed for
hundreds of seriously ill Palestinians and at least
28 individuals died while waiting for permission to
travel. Israeli forces continued to forcibly evict
Palestinians, demolish their homes and expropriate
their land in the occupied West Bank, including East
Jerusalem, while allowing Israeli settlements to
expand on illegally confiscated Palestinian land.

Throughout the year, Israeli forces used excessive
and, at times, lethal force against Palestinian
civilians. Allegations of ill-treatment against
Palestinian detainees continued and were rarely
investigated. Hundreds were administratively
detained without charge; others were serving
sentences imposed after unfair military trials. Israeli
soldiers and settlers who committed serious human
rights abuses against Palestinians enjoyed virtual
impunity. [/end quote]

Barbaric and inhumane?
Report of the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/specialsession/9/docs/UNFFMGC_Report.pdf
[start quote]55. The Mission investigated four incidents in which Israeli forces coerced Palestinian civilian
men at gun point to take part in house searches during the military operations (Chapter XIV).
The Palestinian men were blindfolded and handcuffed as they were forced to enter houses ahead
of the Israeli soldiers. In one of the incidents, Israeli forces repeatedly forced a man to enter a
house in which Palestinian combatants were hiding. Published testimonies of Israeli soldiers who
took part in the military operations confirm the continued use of this practice, in spite of clear
orders from Israel’s High Court to the armed forces to put an end to it and repeated public
assurances from the armed forces that the practice had been discontinued. The Mission
concludes that this practice amounts to the use of Palestinian civilians as human shields and is
therefore prohibited by international humanitarian law....

...Civilians, including women and children, were detained in degrading conditions,
deprived of food, water and access to sanitary facilities, and exposed to the elements in January
without any shelter. The men were handcuffed, blindfolded and repeatedly made to strip,
sometimes naked, at different stages of their detention.
58. In the Al Atatra area in north-western Gaza Israeli troops had dug out sand pits in which
Palestinian men, women and children were detained. Israeli tanks and artillery positions were
located inside the sand pits and around them and fired from next to the detainees.
59. The Palestinian men who were taken to detention facilities in Israel were subjected to
degrading conditions of detention, harsh interrogation, beatings and other physical and mental
abuse...
[/end quote]

So let me get this straight SJP... You don't think the above is barbaric and inhumane?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Perhaps that may entitle him to so many virgins in the Heaven (like the terrorists are promised 72 virgins).

Not quite. Shari'a is pretty strict about adultery, defined as sex between two persons who are not married to one another, regardless of their personal marital status. So no, Shari'a would not look too kindly on this mans' exploits with the lady. Bear in mind though that traditional Jewish law likewise does not look too kindly on adultery, which it again defines as sex outside of marriage, regardless of personal marital status. On that front, the woman wasn't being too Jewish herself there.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not quite. Shari'a is pretty strict about adultery, defined as sex between two persons who are not married to one another, regardless of their personal marital status. So no, Shari'a would not look too kindly on this mans' exploits with the lady. Bear in mind though that traditional Jewish law likewise does not look too kindly on adultery, which it again defines as sex outside of marriage, regardless of personal marital status. On that front, the woman wasn't being too Jewish herself there.
Why? Is she married? If she isn't married, then there's no adultery on her part because she believed him to be non-married and Jewish: it says right there in the article from the OP, "the judges said. "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she would not have cooperated," they added...".So you are assuming that she's married.

Quoting earth_as_oneThis guy got 18 months for pretending to be Jewish in order to get laid.
Actually the guy got 18 months for claiming to be a Jewish bachelor.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Its still ridiculous. I doubt a Jewish guy pretending to be Arab bachelor in order to get laid, would get such a "stiff" penalty.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
According to the Bible, that chosen one was supposed to get stoned along with him. And I don't mean stoned in a good way:lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

Its still ridiculous. I doubt a Jewish guy pretending to be Arab bachelor in order to get laid, would get such a "stiff" penalty.
They do have strange laws in the Mid-East.

"A court in Jerusalem has made international legal history by jailing Sabbar Kashur, a 30-year-old delivery man from East Jerusalem, for 18 months.
He was convicted of "rape by deception" following a criminal trial that has drawn criticism from across Israel.
The court heard accusations that Mr Kashur misled the woman, whose identity has not been disclosed, by introducing himself with the traditionally Jewish name during a chance encounter on a street in central Jerusalem in 2008.
After striking up a conversation, the two went into a top-floor room of a nearby office-block and engaged in a sexual encounter, after which Mr Kashur left before the woman had a chance to get dressed. It was only later that she discovered Mr Kashur's true racial background, lawyers said.
Although conceding that the sex was consensual, district court judge Tzvi Segal concluded that the law had a duty to protect women from "smooth-tongued criminals who can deceive innocent victims at an unbearable price" "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she would not have co-operated," Mrs Segal said as she delivered her verdict."

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup. A guy meets a girl and says, I love you, I want to have a long term relationship with you. Let's go rip off a quicky in that office tower and she says, sure. Bingo Bango!

Yup. Wish I could get some that easy. I'll try that line the next time I'm in a big city where there are office towers and see if it works.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
:lol::lol::lol:

They do have strange laws in the Mid-East.

"A court in Jerusalem has made international legal history by jailing Sabbar Kashur, a 30-year-old delivery man from East Jerusalem, for 18 months.
He was convicted of "rape by deception" following a criminal trial that has drawn criticism from across Israel.
The court heard accusations that Mr Kashur misled the woman, whose identity has not been disclosed, by introducing himself with the traditionally Jewish name during a chance encounter on a street in central Jerusalem in 2008.
After striking up a conversation, the two went into a top-floor room of a nearby office-block and engaged in a sexual encounter, after which Mr Kashur left before the woman had a chance to get dressed. It was only later that she discovered Mr Kashur's true racial background, lawyers said.
Although conceding that the sex was consensual, district court judge Tzvi Segal concluded that the law had a duty to protect women from "smooth-tongued criminals who can deceive innocent victims at an unbearable price" "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she would not have co-operated," Mrs Segal said as she delivered her verdict."

If she'd pretended to be Jewish, then did she not deceive him too? Mind you, it should have been obvious to him that she wasn't, seeing that she was going against the Tanakh.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In Iran? In Syria? lmao Oh, yeah, they'd just brush it off. :roll: Or else they'd persecute the woman and ignore the man's lies and stuff.

If she'd pretended to be Jewish, then did she not deceive him too? Mind you, it should have been obvious to him that she wasn't, seeing that she was going against the Tanakh.
Where does it say that she isn't Jewish? Where does it say that being a Jew means you have to be fundamentally so? Where does it say that Jewish people don't stray from their religion sometimes? :roll:

I know a Jewish girl that loves ham.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
My point Anna is why is the guy taking all the rap when it clearly takes two to tango here.

Depends. In Iran, he'd probably get the death sentence, though she would too. In Israel, it's a good question. I suspect there is very much a double standard here.

Inasmuch as the Iranian laws would likely be way too harsh, at least they'd be applied equally to both parties involved.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My point Anna is why is the guy taking all the rap when it clearly takes two to tango here.
Because it's Israel we are talking about here, not North America.

Depends. In Iran, he'd probably get the death sentence, though she would too.
Oh, come on. You must have seen plenty of reports where Islam favors men and anything goes wrong sexually has to be because of those evil temptresses, women.
In Israel, it's a good question. I suspect there is very much a double standard here.
Where isn't there? I think it's silly that people should be shocked by it, though.

Inasmuch as the Iranian laws would likely be way too harsh, at least they'd be applied equally to both parties involved.
I really doubt that.

Hubby found a video clip of a Yezidl girl being stoned to death because her bf was Sunni. The girl was stoned to death and the boy is fine. Her name was Du'a Khalil Aswad and she was 17 years old.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ana, I've come across reports of men and women getting the death sentence for adultery in Iran, and the government really doesn't distinguish on the basis of religion as such in that particular case. Now of course there is persecution of certain religious minorities in Iran, but still, Muslims do get punished like anyone else for adultery there. In this case, we have the Arab getting punished for lying about being a Jew when at that moment at least the woman wasn't acting too Jewish herself now was she.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Ana, I've come across reports of men and women getting the death sentence for adultery in Iran, and the government really doesn't distinguish on the basis of religion as such in that particular case. Now of course there is persecution of certain religious minorities in Iran, but still, Muslims do get punished like anyone else for adultery there. In this case, we have the Arab getting punished for lying about being a Jew when at that moment at least the woman wasn't acting too Jewish herself now was she.
Ah, so Islam is all about equality and the Jews aren't. I see. :roll: Tell that to the family of the 17 year old girl.
Have you ever read any of the assessments of the Quran concerning women?

Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran

Women Call For Gender Equality Ahead Of Iran's Presidential Vote - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2010

The Struggle for Gender Equality in Iran: Tehran Cracks Down on Feminist Movement - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Iran: Authorities thwart campaign for gender equality | Amnesty International

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No, women do not have equality in Iran, and probably do have more equality in Israel I'd gues. In this particular case though, my guess is that has a Muslim man in Iran fooled an Iranian Jewess into sex like that, they'd both have gotten killed. In this particular case Iran would not have put all the blame on one or the other but would have blamed both, though granted Israel's punishment, though putting all the blame on the man, is at least more reasonable in the degree of punishment.

Essentially all I'm saying is that in this case I think the judges are acting out of prejudice for Muslims here.