Slightly peeved about my driver's license

PuRFuS

May 21, 2010
Hey all, my first post! i like this place.

I felt I would bring up an issue that has really been preventing my life from taking off in the hopes that SOMEONE can give me some help!

To begin with, a little bit of back story. I was a young lad of sixteen. I got my license in my small northern alberta town. In said town I got some legit tickets (and some that I don't consider to be legit at all). Whatever, people get tickets.

However, being young, I stupidly thought I was invincible, that if I didn't pay these tickets nothing would happen.

Big mistake.

Several years later, my wallet was stolen. Oh well I thought. I don't go to the bar, who cares. I don't need an identification. Eventually, realizing the error of my ways, I went to get my license replaced. Turns out that to do so I had to pay my outstanding fines first. (A few hundred dollars). This sucked, I was going to college (for a useless program I couldn't afford to complete), and literally had NO money for several years that I could afford to spend on anything other than my rent bills and groceries. So it stayed on the backburner.

I eventually was in a position to pay off my tickets, which I went to do with pride.

Here's where the cruddy part kicks in.

Turns out that my license had been expired for so long I got busted back to pedestrian. I had to take my learner's examination again, which I did. And then I had to take my driver's test again. Well, low and behold, I now have NO ACCESS TO A TESTING VEHICLE! I don't have family, I don't have friends. None that are willing to lend my their precious cars anyhow. And, I find out, that I can't use testing agencies vehicles anymore now that it is privatized.

My question, how the heck do I go about getting a license? I am married now, thirty years old, and I am stuck working crap retail jobs because I don't have a license. Good paying jobs in construction all require I have a driver's license! But, I cannot get one.

What the heck do I do? I am sick of suffering such a heavy punishment for such an inconsequential indiscretion in my youth. I paid my dues (albeit a little late), and now more than ever wish to contribute to society and start a family. This is the only obstacle stopping me. I mean, come on. I know people who are still allowed to drive despite multiple DUI convictions! WTF?!??!?!

Suggestions?

Thanks everyone! looking forward to more time in the forums!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I felt I would bring up an issue that has really been preventing my life from taking off in the hopes that SOMEONE can give me some help!

To begin with, a little bit of back story. I was a young lad of sixteen. I got my license in my small northern alberta town. In said town I got some legit tickets (and some that I don't consider to be legit at all). Whatever, people get tickets.

However, being young, I stupidly thought I was invincible, that if I didn't pay these tickets nothing would happen.

Big mistake.

Several years later, my wallet was stolen. Oh well I thought. I don't go to the bar, who cares. I don't need an identification. Eventually, realizing the error of my ways, I went to get my license replaced. Turns out that to do so I had to pay my outstanding fines first. (A few hundred dollars). This sucked, I was going to college (for a useless program I couldn't afford to complete), and literally had NO money for several years that I could afford to spend on anything other than my rent bills and groceries. So it stayed on the backburner.

I eventually was in a position to pay off my tickets, which I went to do with pride.

Turns out that my license had been expired for so long I got busted back to pedestrian. I had to take my learner's examination again, which I did. And then I had to take my driver's test again. Well, low and behold, I now have NO ACCESS TO A TESTING VEHICLE! I don't have family, I don't have friends. None that are willing to lend my their precious cars anyhow. And, I find out, that I can't use testing agencies vehicles anymore now that it is privatized.

My question, how the heck do I go about getting a license? I am married now, thirty years old, and I am stuck working crap retail jobs because I don't have a license. Good paying jobs in construction all require I have a driver's license! But, I cannot get one.

What the heck do I do? I am sick of suffering such a heavy punishment for such an inconsequential indiscretion in my youth. I paid my dues (albeit a little late), and now more than ever wish to contribute to society and start a family. This is the only obstacle stopping me. I mean, come on. I know people who are still allowed to drive despite multiple DUI convictions! WTF?!??!?!

Suggestions?

How long have you been in AB and have no friends?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry - no advice but like Goober, I have to wonder how long you have lived in AB or at least in the same town that you don't have anyone willing to loan you a vehicle for long enough to take your driver's test? Are you just a really bad driver? You must know someone with an older vehicle that isn't afraid to let you drive it for your exam.

In Alberta, to drive, you need an Operator's Licence.
Silly! He wants to drive a car. He doesn't want to operate a telephone. You don't need a licence for that. 8O;-)

PuRFuS

May 21, 2010
Hey all. Thanks for the slightly condescending remarks about me not having friends, and thanks for rubbing it in! Here I was looking for some helpful information, not people being jerks. If that is the kind of forum this is then I will gladly move along.

Here's what I said.
I don't have family, I don't have friends. None that are willing to lend my their precious cars anyhow.

It's not that I'm a BAD driver, it's that I am a bad socializer. No. I don't have any friends. Hope that makes you happy.

Does anybody have any useful advice? Sorry I am not like the rest of you. My friends still live in the home town I moved away from. A long long way from here. And yes, I have asked the several I know with a vehicle. All have said no. Why? I don't know. Why would you say no? They probably said it for the same reason. Guess I don't have very good friends. I have a wife, but you see, she doesn't have a vehicle either. If she does she's living some kind of strange double life. And, she's asked several of the people she works with, all of who said no as well. Alberta advantage = license to douchebaggery I guess. So much for helping out a fellow human being.

Hence why I posted here with this somewhat humiliating request for information. (Truthfully, you are both sort of acting like the self-entitled rude people at my licensing bureau who told me to rent a car and then laughed me out of their business.)

I also understand that most people just use their parent's vehicle. Well, my mother unfortunately is no longer alive, I have no aunties or uncles or cousins that live in Canada, (as my father's only brother moved to Texas when he was a teenager and my mother was an only child). And my father, well, let's just say that in his drunken state he has lost the ability to have a vehicle and has to hire a helper to drive him around. I don't speak with him much, as I don't use alcohol or any other drugs. (other than caffeine in my daily cup of coffee. Maybe this is why I don't have any friends? Because I choose not to use alcohol?)

So, looking forward to somebody who might actually have some useful information for me and for those who are just going to post rude, demeaning things, I just want you to know that you're merely showing yourselves to be the sorts of human beings you are, and I don't expect anything but selfishness from you.

Thanks to those who are willing to take my plight seriously!

ps. I have lived in Alberta all my life. Just goes to show you what kind of province this can be. Turn your head and look the other way rather than offering a helping hand up.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hey all. Thanks for the slightly condescending remarks about me not having friends, and thanks for rubbing it in! Here I was looking for some helpful information, not people being jerks. If that is the kind of forum this is then I will gladly move along.

Here's what I said.

It's not that I'm a BAD driver, it's that I am a bad socializer. No. I don't have any friends. Hope that makes you happy.

Does anybody have any useful advice? Sorry I am not like the rest of you. My friends still live in the home town I moved away from. A long long way from here. And yes, I have asked the several I know with a vehicle. All have said no. Why? I don't know. Why would you say no? They probably said it for the same reason. Guess I don't have very good friends. I have a wife, but you see, she doesn't have a vehicle either. If she does she's living some kind of strange double life. And, she's asked several of the people she works with, all of who said no as well. Alberta advantage = license to douchebaggery I guess. So much for helping out a fellow human being.

Hence why I posted here with this somewhat humiliating request for information. (Truthfully, you are both sort of acting like the self-entitled rude people at my licensing bureau who told me to rent a car and then laughed me out of their business.)

I also understand that most people just use their parent's vehicle. Well, my mother unfortunately is no longer alive, I have no aunties or uncles or cousins that live in Canada, (as my father's only brother moved to Texas when he was a teenager and my mother was an only child). And my father, well, let's just say that in his drunken state he has lost the ability to have a vehicle and has to hire a helper to drive him around. I don't speak with him much, as I don't use alcohol or any other drugs. (other than caffeine in my daily cup of coffee. Maybe this is why I don't have any friends? Because I choose not to use alcohol?)

So, looking forward to somebody who might actually have some useful information for me and for those who are just going to post rude, demeaning things, I just want you to know that you're merely showing yourselves to be the sorts of human beings you are, and I don't expect anything but selfishness from you.

Thanks to those who are willing to take my plight seriously!

ps. I have lived in Alberta all my life. Just goes to show you what kind of province this can be. Turn your head and look the other way rather than offering a helping hand up.

1st off the mark - my comment was not condescending - your facts - 30 years in AB & no one will lend you a car - Seems that you have other problems that are more in need of addressing than the car

2nd - driver schools - you can rent their cars for a test - you must take the full 10 hr or so prgram about 5-600 dollars

Pity - I do not deal in pity for something that you should be able to figure out at age 30 - Time to grow a set and mature - start thinking how to solve a problem instead of whining about it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
PurFus

Have you considered offering money. Surely someone will let you rent their car for the driving test . two or three hundred dollars might sound expensive but if you think you have to have a driver's license to further your career, do it.
Are you sure you can drive a car well enough to pass the test in one shot?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Big mistake.

Suggestions?

Seems like you dug your own grave. Live with it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sorry - no advice but like Goober, I have to wonder how long you have lived in AB or at least in the same town that you don't have anyone willing to loan you a vehicle for long enough to take your driver's test? Are you just a really bad driver? You must know someone with an older vehicle that isn't afraid to let you drive it for your exam.

Silly! He wants to drive a car. He doesn't want to operate a telephone. You don't need a licence for that. 8O;-)

I would go to one of the driving schools and offer to pay a couple of hours for the vehicle and the instructor to take your test.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Might be a good idea to develop social skills. If you find work, I doubt an employer would be looking for someone who is anti-social. Construction jobs are usually a team effort.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I lived in Alberta for years and most of the people will give the shirt off their backs to you if you needed it at the same time they would not have any hesitation to stab you in the back because they won't put up with any belly aching.

Alberta is cowboy country which means whatever it takes to get the job done.

I am truly sorry to say this but you would not last on a construction job not in Alberta.

Years ago you made a choice now you got to live with it and do what ever it takes to get your drivers license back.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I lived in Alberta for years and most of the people will give the shirt off their backs to you if you needed it at the same time they would not have any hesitation to stab you in the back because they won't put up with any belly aching.

Alberta is cowboy country which means whatever it takes to get the job done.

I am truly sorry to say this but you would not last on a construction job not in Alberta.

Years ago you made a choice now you got to live with it and do what ever it takes to get your drivers license back.

I think you may be right as far as Zama or High Level goes, but they've probably mellowed out a bit in Calgary and Edmonton. :smile::smile:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
PuR
Sometimes we have to let the "past" surface just one more time in order to make redemption.

Personally - please find some close friends - you have some hobbies or what about couples - is your wife as isolated as are you?

People are generally eager to know and meet new people - it may take a bit of work on your part but in general once people know your story (stop being so proud), and allow them into your life - you may be surprised at how many would
like to help you out.....

The people here did and they don't know you either.

Bust out some faith in humanity - we are all in this goofy life together and only a vast minority glide through without trauma in their lives and you know what? They are truly boring people. Everyone enjoys helping the guy in trouble or the underdog.... you may make some good friends and get your licence too!

Once that happens - return the favor to someone else in the future....Curio

Last edited:

acdareinc

Feb 4, 2011
Just to let you know - there are many examiners who rent a vehicle for the road test. I do not understand why this should be a problem for you. I can understand the circumstances behind the loss of your license, lack of money, etc. But seems like the only problem at the end was - FINDING A VEHICLE?