U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You can already buy a Dodge 4 door pick-up off the shelf that will meet most of those specifications. Get on one of the parkways in Calgary or Edmonton during rush hour and you can see thousands of them.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Their policys and procedures are way more stringent then the governments.

I'm sorry but that doesn't give me the warm fuzzys. I don't trust governments and I don't trust big business. If there's any way to cut corners they will find it. Who are the watchdogs looking after this land reclamation? Does Suncor and Syncrude have to submit progress reports outlining exactly what they are doing to put the land back into shape? Who reviews those reports? I'm not asking you directly. Just musing here.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Im gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps
And all leather cow interior
And make brown baby seal eyes for head lights (yeah)
And Im gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour
Gettin' 1 mile per gallon,

See, the seal industry doesn't have to die. Yeah.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
The bigger issue is respecting yourself,others ,the surrounding environment ,this 1, and so far only habitable planet we live on.

What good are oil/tar sands to Canadians?

Can't drink the water if it is poison ..Can't eat the food if it is diseased..Can't live very long if the air is unbreathable..Temp goes up 5 - 10 degrees over the norms we all get sick and die..Unless we can sustain ourselves long enough to implement green/Clean technologies ,find that equalibrium as well as Find another planet to live on ..

Sustainability ,from the posts I m reading above is not in the future of many above..Eventually those who abuse themselves /others and the environment around them will change their outlook on life ..Hopefully isooner rather than later..Before it's too late...

Give it your best ,never give it all..Enjoy what you got or you'll never know till it's gone..!

Can almost bet on the fact none of you has children

Best of luck to you dirty polluters in the future..;-):lol::p

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This astute driver just wanted a vehicle that would go a few miles before it fell apart, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get it to burn as much gas as the big Dodge.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'm sorry but that doesn't give me the warm fuzzys. I don't trust governments and I don't trust big business. If there's any way to cut corners they will find it. Who are the watchdogs looking after this land reclamation? Does Suncor and Syncrude have to submit progress reports outlining exactly what they are doing to put the land back into shape? Who reviews those reports? I'm not asking you directly. Just musing here.
I dont trust most government either but when it comes to the environment they are the last guys you want on your ass.Kill a fish and you can get dragged through court for years.
Reclamation is allways the first thing that go's into a mine plan and its monitored all the time.Alberta has some of the toughest rules and regulations in North America where the energy industry is concerned and shell,Encanna and others all have their own policys which are even stricter then the governments.
You dont follow them then you get run off.
They get certificates when reclamation is completed on a site if it passes.
The environment is #1 priority in most big companys these days,they know their under the public microscope and as ****e flows downhill you make sure you do everything right.

As far as reclaiming oilsands its a pretty simple operation mostly compared to hard rock mines and pioneer roads on the sides of mountains.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Kakato - How many big companies have got run off because they break the Laws or rules.Their lucky to even get a fine..All they do is threatin to move and big business polliticians bend any way they want. ...

They make the rules! They are the rules.F(forget) everyone else..So they seem to think..

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Kakato - How many big companies have got run off because they break the Laws or rules.Their lucky to even get a fine..All they do is threatin to move and big business polliticians bend any way they want. ...

They make the rules! They are the rules.F(forget) everyone else..So they seem to think..
The environuts are the ones that push for the strict rules,talk to them.
They have a big hand in most of them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm curious how the oil company's that are strip mining, drilling, and laying above ground pipe are getting around the disruption in migratory and feeding paths of local wildlife?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'm curious how the oil company's that are strip mining, drilling, and laying above ground pipe are getting around the disruption in migratory and feeding paths of local wildlife?

In B.C. when they built a 13 mile long conveyor they built underpasses for the elk,moose,bears etc and put a motion cam on it and it was well used.
Most animals adapt to change fairly quick.

They do the same with above ground pipelines.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't care what they are doing in BC...what are they doing here in Alberta, and since this thread is about the Tar Sands, what are they doing in the 3 tar sands areas in particular.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've been to other sites that have stated that there has been major disruptions in the migratory and feeding patterns of migratory animals.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I've been to other sites that have stated that there has been major disruptions in the migratory and feeding patterns of migratory animals.
You mean like all the ducks that die in their toxic settling ponds? Yup, companies know how to mitigate wildlife problems! What a joke (if it weren't so tragic). Suits and degrees are going to destroy this planet faster than nukes.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You mean like all the ducks that die in their toxic settling ponds? Yup, companies know how to mitigate wildlife problems! What a joke (if it weren't so tragic). Suits and degrees are going to destroy this planet faster than nukes.
40 years of jobs,hundreds of billions of dollars into the economy and a few ducks die,not a bad trade off.