Yeah this is pretty much on point.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
CBC, like many. many other media outlets, has its biases to be sure, but they do not lie. That's the big issue these days. Biases can be filtered easily enough by cultivating multiple sources and winnowing out relevant facts and common threads. The trend towards outright lyine and misinformation is something you have to be on the lookout for, and way too many are not looking out. Making impartant decisions based on some unsupported, unvetted blip on facebook? Really really stupid. The smart money isn't betting on a single source these days.

That being said, people who will write off a credible source simply because they don't agree with their politics is more likely than not making decisions based on bad information. Sure, some of these people don't care, and some just don't know any better, but if your intonation is to get good information you need multiple sources, time and a brain.
Well, yes and no.

The CBC reveals their bias more by what they choose to present, not so much by blatant lies. For instance, who do you see more often on CBC....Jagmeet Singh or Erin O'Toole? Seems to me they present Singh every single day to comment on something, while anyone just watching CBC would have difficulty picking out O'Toole in a line-up.

You'd never know O'Toole was leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, much less that he won the popular vote by 211,000 votes in 2019.

Also, after the 2019 election I read an article about MSM lying about the Conservatives (in a negative way) 9 times. If I remember correctly, 5 of those were on the CBC.

Add to that the suit they brought against the Conservatives to prevent them from using CBC news coverage in their ads. All parties do it, but they chose to sue only the Conservative Party...........when they KNEW it fell under "fair use" provisions. It was quickly dismissed in court..............after the election was oveer.

Yes, Virginia, there is a gov't sponsored Liberal propaganda media. The Ministry of Truth.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Was it racist? Was it a conspiracy theory?

Is CBC now racist and flogging conspiracy theory?
Or were they just reporting on the accusations of others? The Epoch Times is hardly what anyone could call dependable journalism, they are consistently critical of Chinese government. How does reporting on that make the CBC racist ?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Maybe a fair approach would be a government funded right leaning media outlet with the same degree of journalistic integrity that the CBC has ?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Or were they just reporting on the accusations of others? The Epoch Times is hardly what anyone could call dependable journalism, they are consistently critical of Chinese government. How does reporting on that make the CBC racist ?

When I heard a couple of posties were refusing to deliver the Epoch Times, I subscribed, just to be contrary.

It prints stuff the CBC wouldn't touch, which is kinda my point.

Why would you say the were "hardly what anyone could call dependable journalism"?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
See , hardly anyone , you know . Anyone you know . The editors of the Epoch Times are what we quaintly call oriental .

Reactions: petros

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Why would you say the were "hardly what anyone could call dependable journalism"?
I started with a google search on "Is Epoch Times reliable?" and started reading. The consensus is that they are a religion motivated conspiracy rag with very loose ties to honesty and accuracy in their reporting.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
When I heard a couple of posties were refusing to deliver the Epoch Times, I subscribed, just to be contrary.

It prints stuff the CBC wouldn't touch, which is kinda my point.

Especially if one doesn't subscribe to the paper. How does he know that its journalism isn't dependable?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I do not watch CBC at all - hubby watches the occasional hockey game, but if we didn't get CBC we wouldn't miss it at all.

I find some of their so-called "journalists" are more propaganda (Rosemarie Barton anyone?) who, when interviewing the PM is so excited about the socks he's wearing or how nice his hair is. I know it's been awhile since that's happened but why on earth would anyone give any credence to her or the network that employs her with stupid statements and/or questions? It simply shows how arrogant the network has gotten and how they really need to clean house of those who are so enamored of the PM that they are unable to actually ask questions that are relevant to Canadians.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I started with a google search on "Is Epoch Times reliable?" and started reading. The consensus is that they are a religion motivated conspiracy rag with very loose ties to honesty and accuracy in their reporting.

Well, at least you looked around to support your belief. A lot don't.

Oh yeah, the paper was funded by Falun Gong, and is rabidly anti-China. But that does not mean they are inaccurate, just that they see things from a different perspective than the CBC. Considering China has been imprisoning Falun Gong members and was gutting them for organs to sell, I think "rabidly anti China" is an extremely mild reaction.

I'd have to see some articles that are proven "fake news" before I discounted them completely.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Maybe a fair approach would be a government funded right leaning media outlet with the same degree of journalistic integrity that the CBC has ?

First of all, the gov't can't cure this problem, them funding the CBC IS the problem. Them funding a right wing outlet would just be an additional problem.......that we are paying for.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
CBC, like many. many other media outlets, has its biases to be sure, but they do not lie. That's the big issue these days. Biases can be filtered easily enough by cultivating multiple sources and winnowing out relevant facts and common threads. The trend towards outright lyine and misinformation is something you have to be on the lookout for, and way too many are not looking out. Making impartant decisions based on some unsupported, unvetted blip on facebook? Really really stupid. The smart money isn't betting on a single source these days.

That being said, people who will write off a credible source simply because they don't agree with their politics is more likely than not making decisions based on bad information. Sure, some of these people don't care, and some just don't know any better, but if your intonation is to get good information you need multiple sources, time and a brain.
Communist Bullshit Corporation has been caught lying or exagerating so many times it is known as Pinochio news.
Perhaps worse is the slanted journalism and bias that paints anti jobs protesters as heros when in fact they are criminals and thugs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So that's a no. When someone says they are racist are they being truthful? What's another word for not being truthful? Liar.