Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
for me, there's no one that compares with my ideal dinner date Maude Adams:

:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well yeah, of course because with Freud it's always "p*enis this and envy that". Sometimes a girl just wants to eat a damned banana. ;)

LOL happy Saturday morning to ya...

and you are correct, sometimes a girl just wants to eat a damn banana

Freud would be interesting too...he did actually accept that all of those female patients had actually been raped and/or molested by fathers and brothers and uncles. He just knew it would destroy his career if he publicly accepted it. He was right. He was brilliant and lauded as the go to for over a century.

In the other thread that Das has running about normal behavior he asks if society makes the rules and essentially I think he is right. What is acceptable at a given time is the very thing that becomes "the norm". then things change and devolve or evolve depending upon the state of the world at the time. I think that too is about survival.

The difference today I think anyway "boats against the current" has gained ground...there are more people willing to admit they readily accept aspects of the tin foil hat group...because frequently history has proven the tin foil hat group actually are correct in various ways at various times.

It's level of tolerance according to survival that drives it.

But I think Jung is one of the most brilliant albeit STRANGE and interesting characters that I have come across. A dinner conversation would be enthralling.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
LOL happy Saturday morning to ya...

But I think Jung is one of the most brilliant albeit STRANGE and interesting characters that I have come across. A dinner conversation would be enthralling.

I read a book about Carl Jung about ten years ago, pretty heavy going as I remember and actually downright boring in places, but to each his own. -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I read a book about Carl Jung about ten years ago, pretty heavy going as I remember and actually downright boring in places, but to each his own. -:)

lol....maybe you picked a bad author...what did it focus on JLM?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My memory is good but it's short. Biographical perhaps. Pretty much covered his life and his work.

okay...that's fair...here are some quotes from him so you can get a feel for his take on the human perspective:

• Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
  • We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more.
  • Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
  • The healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.
  • When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate.
  • We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
okay...that's fair...here are some quotes from him so you can get a feel for his take on the human perspective:

• Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
  • We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more.
  • Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
  • The healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.
  • When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate.
  • We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth.

Geez, Sal, I don't think there was anything that interesting in the book! I really like (and understand) the first one.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:p

He's, as far as I'm concerned, the best writer of Southern Fiction today.

Doesn't give interviews, maybe can't even carry on a conversation. But, if I had the chance, I'd like to have dinner, or lunch, or coffee, with the guy.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Geez, Sal, I don't think there was anything that interesting in the book! I really like (and understand) the first one.

I thought you would...he was an interesting character...into ghosts and paranormal activity and spirituality and christianity and the human condition

:p

He's, as far as I'm concerned, the best writer of Southern Fiction today.

Doesn't give interviews, maybe can't even carry on a conversation. But, if I had the chance, I'd like to have dinner, or lunch, or coffee, with the guy.

thanks Nugs, I will check out his books then...any to recommend?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No biggy. Did I see you say you have software which enables you to link with a library ?

yes, I have a Kobo...I can go on line and just download within seconds

the problem is, the library has to pay for the rights SO there are limited numbers of books available and they are always the good ones because they only purchase the popular ones. this means I sometimes have to place the books on hold...then they email you when they are available and you have three days grace to download or they give it to the next in line

I think it will become more and more popular as our generation no longer wants to slug azz down to the library, and pay for a parking spot to get paper backs.

also our library was just updated...banks and banks and banks of computers in there now