Where does the Anti-Smoking Stop?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A person got fined for not mowing the lawn, so he just took out all of the grass. Then they decided that that wouldn't stand either...

Not that I looked it up or care to even try to back it up. The principle of dictating allowable features to homeowners is what matters.

A few people around here are doing the same thing, replacing grass with rock/pebbles. Haven't seen the cops are their doors yet! :lol:

Dog shyte is also biodegradable but they make dog owners pick it up.

Stepping in dog sh*t is a little more unpleasant than stepping on a cigarette butt! :lol:

That may be true, but there are a lot of chemicals that can leech into the soil. This was discussed in a thread about smoking on the beach a while back. Unfortunately, I can't recall what the name of the thread was.

You hear a lot about "chemicals" with the inference that they are bad. Probably some are but they are a substance found in nature and not all chemicals are created equal. We eat a lot of chemicals so my guess is stepping on one may be quite benign. :smile:

In most circumstances- you can't deprive them of basic rights, but you probably aren't forced to hire them! :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You hear a lot about "chemicals" with the inference that they are bad. Probably some are but they are a substance found in nature and not all chemicals are created equal. We eat a lot of chemicals so my guess is stepping on one may be quite benign. :smile:

I'm not talking about stepping on a cigarette, I am talking about the potential strife a bunch of butts can have to an ecosystem.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Reading an article by a person who is heavily involved in non spoking laws- etc- He stated that recently the anti smoking groups are going over the top. I tend to agree

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There comes a point where people need to be allowed to use their own property as they see fit.

I'm allowed a firepit in my back yard, even if you end up with smoke blowing through your windows.

I'm allowed to bbq, even if you find the carcinogenic meat smoke offensive to your vegan sensitivities.

I'm allowed to enjoy a glass of wine and a cigar if I so choose.

Stop trying to control every aspect of people's behaviour that you don't like, and realize that you live in a noisy crowded world.

If smoke is that offensive to you (and be rational folks, when wafting around on the air, all smoke is of the same danger), you should probably move to where humans aren't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There comes a point where people need to be allowed to use their own property as they see fit.

I'm allowed a firepit in my back yard, even if you end up with smoke blowing through your windows.

I'm allowed to bbq, even if you find the carcinogenic meat smoke offensive to your vegan sensitivities.

I'm allowed to enjoy a glass of wine and a cigar if I so choose.

Stop trying to control every aspect of people's behaviour that you don't like, and realize that you live in a noisy crowded world.

If smoke is that offensive to you (and be rational folks, when wafting around on the air, all smoke is of the same danger), you should probably move to where humans aren't.

If only people who are like that only realized what hypocrites they are. I bet they all take their kids to the Hallowe'en bonfire! :lol: It's all about control, nothing else.