What is a Christian?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quote: ...In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.
I guess that leaves women out. Shucks ... I am crushed. Heaven must be awfully gay.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Christians visit science threads, too. That's pretty weird, also.
They also have bank accounts. Once science sticks to one answer they might have some lasting authority. As it stands today it seems to get a major rewrite ever so often, often at great reluctance of the scientist themselves. Who would have thougt the first problem science has to overcome is a thing called vanity.

I don't think I would like that very much. Although I enjoyed my childhood, I would rather see what coming next than relive my history.
The 2nd birth is when God will talk directly to you. When Jesus quizzed Saul that was under the same power that is the as the Apostles received as a gift after Jesus's resurrection. That it would inspire thoughts like 'I guess I do not know everything after all'. Things along the humility line. That makes you the chold when you compare yourself to Christ or God. Pride and a person's own vanity will stop many from acknowledging that simple truth.

I guess that leaves women out. Shucks ... I am crushed. Heaven must be awfully gay.
Where do you come up with this stuff?? Once in Heaven some never do marry. They remain childless for eternity. The ones they consider as children are the ones who live outside New Jerusalem. That is a population that increases forever. The easiest way to see that on earth today is via grand-parents. They do not give actual birth but feelings of their parent is just as strong as if they had given birth.

What a deluded view of Heaven you have you really should confront those that taught you this once you try and find that thought echoed in Scripture.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They also have bank accounts. Once science sticks to one answer they might have some lasting authority. As it stands today it seems to get a major rewrite ever so often, often at great reluctance of the scientist themselves. Who would have thougt the first problem science has to overcome is a thing called vanity.
I think it has been pointed out many times by now but apparently the concept still escapes you. Science develops descriptions about things with available facts. If a previously unknown fact pops up, science takes it and amends the description accordingly. Science does not belligerently stick to fables, fictions, and fantasies to explain stuff; that is the domain of deism and theism.

The 2nd birth is when God will talk directly to you. When Jesus quizzed Saul that was under the same power that is the as the Apostles received as a gift after Jesus's resurrection. That it would inspire thoughts like 'I guess I do not know everything after all'. Things along the humility line. That makes you the chold when you compare yourself to Christ or God. Pride and a person's own vanity will stop many from acknowledging that simple truth.
I was really drunk one time a few years ago and thought I heard voices. I even replied. So now I find out it was a god. Trouble is the stupid ass didn't wait till I had sobered up to tell me so that I would remember what was said. Oh well. I love life anyway.

Where do you come up with this stuff??
Well, in case you can't remember or didn't read what was said .... someone said "Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." Women aren't referred to as "he".
Once in Heaven some never do marry. They remain childless for eternity. The ones they consider as children are the ones who live outside New Jerusalem. That is a population that increases forever. The easiest way to see that on earth today is via grand-parents. They do not give actual birth but feelings of their parent is just as strong as if they had given birth.

What a deluded view of Heaven you have you really should confront those that taught you this once you try and find that thought echoed in Scripture.
I don't have a vieww of heaven. I've never been there.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well, in case you can't remember or didn't read what was said .... someone said "Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." Women aren't referred to as "he".
This makes your comment even stranger than I first took it to be. Later.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
This makes your comment even stranger than I first took it to be. Later.
You think the pronoun "he" is a female pronoun? And you call my comment strange? WOW! Chew another shroom, Pilgrim.
And that comment of "strange" coming from someone who asserts that something made an entire universe without providing even a minute bit of evidence for it. roflmao

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You think the pronoun "he" is a female pronoun? And you call my comment strange? WOW! Chew another shroom, Pilgrim.
And that comment of "strange" coming from someone who asserts that something made an entire universe without providing even a minute bit of evidence for it. roflmao
You don't even have the quote correct. the verse actually says this.

Joh:3:3: J
esus answered and said unto him,
Verily,
verily,
I say unto thee,
Except a man be born again,
he cannot see the kingdom of God.

The use of the word 'he' is appropriate when a 'man' is mentioned. That you can't grasp that woman could be mentioned separately is, well strange.

What would you consider proof when it has already been said no proof will be offered at this time. Is that not the proof you are looking for. You are told you will find nothing, so far you and a lot of others have found just that, as you still don't get it. That is quite funny actually. LOL

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Verily,
verily,
I say unto thee,
That's irrelevant to my point. And all I did was use the quote the Herald used.

The use of the word 'he' is appropriate when a 'man' is mentioned. That you can't grasp that woman could be mentioned separately is, well strange.
So where in the Bible does it say that unless a woman is reborn, she can't get into heaven? Or that if a woman is reborn that she will?

What would you consider proof when it has already been said no proof will be offered at this time. Is that not the proof you are looking for. You are told you will find nothing, so far you and a lot of others have found just that, as you still don't get it. That is quite funny actually. LOL
It's a little funny, I agree. What is also funny is that this creator hides from its very creation the method to get into heaven by expecting them to believe in things without any evidence for believing in them. If someone came to me and told me they could sell me a perpetual motion machine for $100 but I woul;dn't be able to see it, I'd tell him to take a hike.
At any rate, if there are gods, apparently they take extremely little interest in the goings on concerning Earth.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Verily,
verily,
I say unto thee,

No, you are just being a jerk. The quote actually says

ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ, Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι, ἐὰν μή τις γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν, οὐ δύναται ἰδεῖν τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.

which is in the masculine case for a figurative person when the gender neutral form could have been used: clearly only referring to men.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When people claim what it means to be a "good Christian" I laugh immensly.

Jesus was by far the most un-Christian guy in the Bible.

He beat up and and cursed a fig tree for petro's sake, got drunk regualry, trashed a temple, pissed of Rabbis and the Romans.

Yup, that sounds like a forgive and forget kinda guy to me.

tompaine

Tom Paine
Sep 19, 2009
Metairie, LA (USA)
As usual, those who attack the faith read the Bible in the same way the most right wing uneducated fundamentalist would. Jesus' frequently used metaphor to get a point across. Some of his sayings are nutty but only if you think he was speaking literally. This very thing happens in the Gospel of John when many think Jesus is being literal when he is saying people must eat of his flesh. Many walked, not being able to understand the metaphor. But his disciples stayed. To follow Jesus requires thought as well as heart.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If I saw Christians act more like Jesus and physically shake the trees of govt, church and finance to rid it of corruption and fight for the rights of and welfare of the meekest of meek then perhaps I'd support Christianity.