Wear a Poppy, says Don Cherry

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Pretty much spot on.

Don's an icon, lots of people watch(ed) him.

Though the air time might be 'his', it's also bought and paid for by the employer. He fuked up by saying what he did. Makes the company look "Bad".

They could have asked him to apologize, but that was pointless.

So they rightly fired his ass.

BTW, very few countries actually use a poppy on Remembrance day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

So how many of those not wearing a poppy weren't because they didn't realize it was a 'thing'?

Of course because I didn't wear one for a few years, I'm now regulated as an ungrateful, ignorant waste of space person. Nevermind the reasons why I didn't and nevermind I staunchly support vets...
If you staunchly support vets , you would have worn a poppy .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Well it's still a free country and I support his right to say what he did. He might have said it differently so as not to "offend" so many SJW's but then that's not Don. He's as un-PC as you can get and I admire him for that. We need to be more like him and try to get rid of this PC crap otherwise how can we have a decent conversation anymore? Too many "feelings" are killing debates and conversations all around the world. God forbid if we actually say what we mean! It's ridiculous!

JMHO

Might be your 'humble opinion', but it's also ignorant.

You're right, he can say whatever he wants... on his own time.

He was NOT on his own time.

He was in a specific time slot allotted to him to talk hockey.

He didn't talk Hockey.

And as he talked, he took a stance that his employer cannot side with him on.

Thus his Free Speech was given it's Free Consequences.

You support Don? Support him having done what he said OFF Coach's Corner.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Buying a poppy supports the legion, not vets. I understand that some simpletons don’t know the difference

I will always support vets, in and out of service. Having a poppy on for one day out of the year does not negate that support.

This year I placed a poppy at my grandfather's grave. The years I attended Remembrance Day Services as an Air Cadet and after as a civilian, I ALWAYS thought of my Grandfather, Great Uncle and others before and after. I took pride at being the honor guard one year, and wreath bearer another.

If anyone thinks otherwise, kindly fuk off.

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
I think Sportsnet is addled. Cherry obviously has strong opinions but he is a pretty cool dude. And there's the free speech thing, too. He advocates for animals, kids, women's hockey, etc. I like him even if I don't always agree with him. =)
Poppies are just a symbol. I once forgot mine when we went to the A-Day/R-Day service. One pompous, old bag commented on it and I pointed at my dad and replied, "my Dad was a Ranger, I don't need the poppy to remember, and if I had forgotten them what would I be doing at the Day's celebration of them?"
Migawd, people can be stupid.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Canadian immigrants are also pretty cool dudes and they don't need to be poppy shamed any more than you and your daddy

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Funny how Trumpites think “it’s a free country” and support Don’s right to speak his mind on the company’s dime but lost their shit when Colin Kaepernick did it.
Funny how Trudopians supported Krapnick's right to "speak" his mind but lost their shit when Don did.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
because protesting against racism is the same as promoting racism

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Funny how Trudopians supported Krapnick's right to "speak" his mind but lost their shit when Don did.

I'm all for Don speaking his mind.

In his own place, on his own time.

But apparently the company he was working for did not appreciate the association he might have given them.

Nor did they appreciate his ignorance.

He opened his mouth and there's consequences for that.

Kapernick didn't say anything, only knelt out of respect for the flag but also the racism going on around him.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm all for Don speaking his mind.

In his own place, on his own time.

But apparently the company he was working for did not appreciate the association he might have given them.

Nor did they appreciate his ignorance.

He opened his mouth and there's consequences for that.

Kapernick didn't say anything, only knelt out of respect for the flag but also the racism going on around him.
Those people out there not wearing poppies is disgraceful .

What a completely racist improper comment to make prior to Nov. 11 .
BTW prior to the game that evening the Toronto Maple Leafs trotted out some old WW2 vets in their legion attire and all stood for a moment of silence to honour our veterans and CTV broadcast it and commented very favourably about their sacrifice .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
white nationalist climate change denier desperately seeking answers

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

And then there's people like me that feel, Sportsnet, the NFL and the 9ers should decide what is and isn't acceptable on the company dime. Of course, I'm not a hypocritical wingnut

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
cbc is running this story petty much continuously with commentary from every imaginable source.

how is it even possible to not know what the issue is

you have to be a special sort of stupid to remain this ignorant

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
You have to be a special type of stupid to pay any attention to Don Cherry.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So in an interview on CityTV he said he shouldn't have said "You People" but instead "Everybody".

And admitted he was wrong.

Least he admitted it; a little late, but admitted it.