Wear a Poppy, says Don Cherry

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
what's wrong with you

Trumpites are clearly triggered and don’t know how to express themselves. Everybody that isn’t a racist is disgusted by Don. Of course, intelligent people have known Don was an ignorant blowhard for years. He knows as much about hockey as he does common sense.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Don Cherry, let me introduce you to "you people".

My great grandfather, Hira Singh, who served in WW1 & WW2 under the British.

All sorts of people have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of Canada.

Women, immigrants, LGBTQ2S Canadians, Indigenous people.

There is no "you people”. We’re all as Canadian as the next. We honour all who served.

That's what Canada is all about. - Jagmeet Singh

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v
Don Cherry, let me introduce you to "you people".
My great grandfather, Hira Singh, who served in WW1 & WW2 under the British.
All sorts of people have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of Canada.
Women, immigrants, LGBTQ2S Canadians, Indigenous people.
There is no "you people”. We’re all as Canadian as the next. We honour all who served.
That's what Canada is all about. - [B]Jagmeet Singh[/B][/QUOTE]
Don was referring to Canadians not someone serving in another country.

But on this topic of contributing, how many of the 160 or so fallen from Afghan, how many were visible minorities?.
Maybe that partially explains why they don’t care to wear a poppy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trumpites are clearly triggered and don’t know how to express themselves. Everybody that isn’t a racist is disgusted by Don. Of course, intelligent people have known Don was an ignorant blowhard for years. He knows as much about hockey as he does common sense.
Hehehehe

You're triggered.

Calm down.

You're upset.

Sorry to embarrass you.

*hugs*

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How Cree Code Talkers From Alberta Helped Win the Second World War

Coded messages based on the Cree language made it difficult for the enemy to monitor and decipher Allied transmissions during the Second World War.

The Fascinating Story of Alberta’s Cree Code Talkers

My uncle Charles “Checker” Tomkins was a very humble, proud, humorous Métis man, who later in life became a member of the Poundmaker’s Reserve in Saskatchewan. In 2003, just two months before Uncle Charles’ death at the age of 85, Smithsonian Institution representatives Tim Jones and Kevin Lewis came to Calgary to interview him about the Cree Code Talkers program he was part of during the Second World War. The first thing Tim asked my uncle was, “How would you describe yourself?” Without missing a beat my uncle said, “I am a nice-looking man!”
Charles was born January 8, 1918, in the village of Grouard in northern Alberta, to Peter and Isabelle Tomkins. He was one of eight children and four stepchildren. His grandparents were Peter and Marie Tomkins. He married Lena Anderson in 1940 and joined the army soon afterwards.
My uncle spoke fluent Cree and credits his grandparents for teaching him the language. His grandmother was Cree and his grandfather was Caucasian, but also spoke fluent Cree. His grandfather taught him how to say things in Cree that were not actually part of the language at the time—modern references such as airplane or train, for example. The “Cree” being spoken back then was usually a blend of English, French and Cree, but, according to Uncle Charles, the version his grandparents spoke made more sense than that of any other Cree speakers he knew.
The army sent Uncle Charles overseas in 1940 and he said the voyage was horrific. There were more than 800 soldiers on board the ship, and they were fed salt herring and plain beets every day! Charles said he slept in a hammock and had a heck of a time getting into it each night!

More: https://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/canada/cree-code-talkers

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Don was referring to Canadians not someone serving in another country.

But on this topic of contributing, how many of the 160 or so fallen from Afghan, how many were visible minorities?.
Maybe that partially explains why they don’t care to wear a poppy.
You have a reading comprehension problem. Not surprising coming from a bigot, like Don Cherry.

"All sorts of people have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of Canada.
Women, immigrants, LGBTQ2S Canadians, Indigenous people."

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
You have a reading comprehension problem. Not surprising coming from a bigot, like Don Cherry.
"All sorts of people have served and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of Canada.
Don was referring to people not wearing poppies today,,,not years ago.

You can call people all the names you want but stats and facts don’t lie, how many vis mins are in our military today and how many of the fallen from Afghan were vis mins??

I rest my case. Don was right to make the statement he made.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It's a really odd situation here in Vancouver-it's rare now to see a white face in the cadets/scouts selling Poppies on the streets but I watched them selling for over 30 minutes this AM down at Granville Island Market and not one non-white bought a Poppy-makes you think doesn't it?!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Don was referring to people not wearing poppies today,,,not years ago.
You can call people all the names you want but stats and facts don’t lie, how many vis mins are in our military today and how many of the fallen from Afghan were vis mins??
I rest my case. Don was right to make the statement he made.
You're an American.

Do you really wear a poppy?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Okay, back to sanity. I'm a fan of Don Cherry when he's talking hockey, but I seriously disagree with his poppy rant.

It's basically a Freedom of Expression dealie. Yep, Don's free to have his opinion. Doesn't mean the country has to listen to him either. If you don't wanna wear a plastic poppy, don't. Just don't get all sanctimoniously anti-war about those who do and the poppy symbol in general. If you do wear a poppy, that's fine too. But remember, those poppies also symbolize the loss of those who gave their lives to defend against tyranny. Seems a little ignorant to try and bully people into wearing one.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
To me if you wear a poppy it means you reallly appreciate the effort the military peeps made so You can live the comfortable life that You do peacefully..

One of many symbols of gratitude

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
To me if you wear a poppy it means you reallly appreciate the effort the military peeps made so You can live the comfortable life that You do peacefully..
One of many symbols of gratitude
But you Americans don't wear poppies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's a really odd situation here in Vancouver-it's rare now to see a white face in the cadets/scouts selling Poppies on the streets but I watched them selling for over 30 minutes this AM down at Granville Island Market and not one non-white bought a Poppy-makes you think doesn't it?!
In Coquitlam it's Korean kids.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The red poppy is for them too. Did you think it wasn't?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Just fyi...

You are not "buying" a poppy when you get a poppy. I know it seems like that but it's not buying at all, it's a donation and the poppy is part of the 'I donated' recognition.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
In Canada Muslims don’t join our military, they immigrate here, get a Canadian passport and then join ISIS.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Muslims account for 1% of the military. Considering that about 3% of Canadians are Muslim, it's a little low. The most probable cause is the discrimination from the Durry's of the world.