We need to reform immigration

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Immigration is fine. It doesn't need reforming. We need politicians to focus on real problems, not invented ones.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Immigration is fine. It doesn't need reforming. We need politicians to focus on real problems, not invented ones.
So it's an invention that we have hundreds of thousands of immigrants living in poverty and that the cost of all these low income immigrants is $30 billion per year to government?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There aren't as many schools of Islamic thought since Islam didn't break into as many sects as Christianity did. But Catholic law is pretty much consistent wherever you go.
Catholic Mass on Sunday is as ethnically and racially diverse as shopping at Superstore on a Saturday.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why don't you tell me the difference. For example, does a Muslim believe in Sharia law. Sharia law calls for women to be stoned to death for adultery. It calls for apostates and blasphemers to be executed, along with homosexuals, and institutionalizes severe misogyny. Is that Islam or Islamism?

Your lack of understanding regarding Islam is quite humerous. You and Cliffy should get together on a thread and discuss the differences and similarities of Islam and Christianity. Andem could sell tickets

So it's an invention that we have hundreds of thousands of immigrants living in poverty and that the cost of all these low income immigrants is $30 billion per year to government?

Poverty in Canada is not a significant issue. Let's focus on real problems instead of childish fears.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Your lack of understanding regarding Islam is quite humerous. You and Cliffy should get together on a thread and discuss the differences and similarities of Islam and Christianity. Andem could sell tickets

Poverty in Canada is not a significant issue. Let's focus on real problems instead of childish fears.
So you're saying Muhammed didn't say that and that every school of Islamic jurisprudence does not believe the appropriate punishment for leaving Islam is death?

Poverty has always been a major issue. As is the budget deficit, at least to those of us who pay taxes. The more poor people we have, the fewer people are paying taxes and the higher the tax on those of us who are not poor.
This is pretty basic stuff. I'm surprised you don't understand it.

Catholic Mass on Sunday is as ethnically and racially diverse as shopping at Superstore on a Saturday.
We're talking about Catholic law not mass. Can you tell me which version of Catholicism allows for divorce and remarriage, for example?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So you're saying Muhammed didn't say

It's irrelevant what Muhammad said, didn't say, is believed to have said. There are many interpretations of the Quran and the Bible.

To suggest that all Muslims believe in the same things is like saying Catholics and JWs agree with Anders Breivik

Do you seriously believe that Calgary's mayor supports killing people that convert to Christianity? Seriously? I mean seriously?

Poverty has always been a major issue.

No it hasn't. That's just a Dipper talking point.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Do you seriously believe that Calgary's mayor supports killing people that convert to Christianity? Seriously? I mean seriously?

Unfortunately, it appears he/she is serious. That's the major problem with people like this. They really don't know what the hell they are talking about and just repeat, ad nauseam, what they have been told or heard on the subject with no regard as to the truth.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
There aren't as many schools of Islamic thought since Islam didn't break into as many sects as Christianity did. But Catholic law is pretty much consistent wherever you go.

The Tunisian government did not write its constitution to adhere to Islamic thought or Sharia. If it did it would have put the death penalty in place for apostasy, which, so far as I am aware, is a literal interpretation of Muhammed's words “Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him” (Bukhari 9.84.57) and considered law by every stream of Islamic theology and jurisprudence.

The Koran does not guarantee freedom of worship. It accepts the freedom of the other two Abrahamic religions, Christianity and Judaism but only within a society where Islam holds primacy, and where Christians and Jews are forbidden rulership, have restricted rights, and pay a special tax.

Right. It's just my interpretation, because I can't read the actual words, and see the laws and behaviour in place throughout the Muslim world. Because like, that's impossible.

I find it interesting that although my OP only mentioned Islam in passing, that's all that progressives care about. I dared to diss their favourite religion and they're fulminating with rage over it. Never mind the fact that this topic is about immigration, not Islam, and that it clearly makes no economic sense to bring over tens of thousands of low-income earners from the middle east every year.

Religious freedom in Islam. No punishment for apostasy.

Plenty of quotes from the Qur'an on religious freedom there.

ISLAM IS PRO MONOGAMY | Sheikh Muhammad Abduh

It would seem that the Quer'an prescribes monogamy too.

Again, even those Muslims who understand the Qur'an to prescribe monogamy might also discourage divorce and so tolerate polygamy, but that's more in the vein that two wrongs don't make a right. It's better to preserve a polygamous marriage than to break it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It doesn't matter what the Quran says. What matters is how people choose to interpret it. That's why some Christians are fine with homosexuality and some find it an abomination.

It's simply laughable to lump all Muslins together in terms of what they believe. Actually, laughable doesn't even begin to describe it.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It doesn't matter what the Quran says. What matters is how people choose to interpret it. That's why some Christians are fine with homosexuality and some find it an abomination.

It's simply laughable to lump all Muslins together in terms of what they believe. Actually, laughable doesn't even begin to describe it.

I was just pointing out how not everyone understands the Qur'an the same way.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
There are multitudes of web sites from reputable sources all attempting to understand religion and their impact on democratic free societies, but to me, if anybody cares to get a real understanding, there's nothing like a straightforward face to face, shot to shot, full human interaction. With religious people, no matter how much the suits are the same, or that you drink the same shots of tequila, the opinion about women, and the wickedness of the west never waivers, which makes sense to the definition of religion and should be expected. There is no malice with this opinion, it simply is. I've sat and listen to why women, LGBQT, same sex marriage, corporal punishment, and many freedoms should to be kept under 'specific rules' and I can say without reservation that none of these 'specific rules' are good for these aforementioned groups. Sit with your religious friends or acquaintance and just ask! The good news is that most realize their limitation, and would never try to impose their wills, exception would be for ones' who can get into politics of course.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
That's why some Christians are fine with homosexuality and some find it an abomination.
it.
Christians do not read the Bible to decide if they are fine with homosexuality or not.

This stupid statement just goes to show how far out from reality you are, fool.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Roman Catholic
Try again.

It's irrelevant what Muhammad said, didn't say, is believed to have said. There are many interpretations of the Quran and the Bible.

There are very, very few interpretations of the bible from reputable Muslim scholars which differ significantly on social values.

To suggest that all Muslims believe in the same things is like saying Catholics and JWs agree with Anders Breivik

Not all Muslims agree on the same things. I never said they do. I said that there are fairly universally recognized laws of Islam - recognized by Muslim scholars, and we see these laws come into play in Muslim states which base their legal code on the Koran. Which is why there is no Muslim state which treats women equally, no Muslim state which treats other religions with the same respect as Islam, and why you aren't going to see gay pride parades in Cairo or Kuala Lumpur, much less Tehran or Riyadh.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Try again.

There are very, very few interpretations of the bible from reputable Muslim scholars which differ significantly on social values.

Not all Muslims agree on the same things. I never said they do. I said that there are fairly universally recognized laws of Islam - recognized by Muslim scholars, and we see these laws come into play in Muslim states which base their legal code on the Koran. Which is why there is no Muslim state which treats women equally, no Muslim state which treats other religions with the same respect as Islam, and why you aren't going to see gay pride parades in Cairo or Kuala Lumpur, much less Tehran or Riyadh.

But what do Muslim jurists have to do with the common Muslim immigrant?

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Unfortunately, it appears he/she is serious. That's the major problem with people like this. They really don't know what the hell they are talking about and just repeat, ad nauseam, what they have been told or heard on the subject with no regard as to the truth.
It's too bad there wasn't someone smart who could convince me. Know anyone smart?

You are linking to an Amhadi Islam page. The Ahmadis are considered heretics by mainstream Islam, a cult by others. They're based in India, and hunted like dogs anywhere else in the Muslim world they go.

But... you knew that, right? I mean, you're one of the world's foremost experts on Islam... right?

{quote]It would seem that the Quer'an prescribes monogamy too.[/quote]

Not sure where monogamy entered into this conversation. I don't give a damn about it.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's too bad there wasn't someone smart who could convince me. Know anyone smart?

You are linking to an Amhadi Islam page. The Ahmadis are considered heretics by mainstream Islam, a cult by others. They're based in India, and hunted like dogs anywhere else in the Muslim world they go.

But... you knew that, right? I mean, you're one of the world's foremost experts on Islam... right?

{quote]It would seem that the Quer'an prescribes monogamy too.

Not sure where monogamy entered into this conversation. I don't give a damn about it.[/QUOTE]

Oh for crying out loud! I linked to that page because I didn't want to have to point out every little verse to you. They were conveniently collected on the page. The idea was that you could read the verses from the Qur'an and decide for yourself.

Some Shi'a believe the Qur'an enjoins monogamy and guarantees freedom of religion too.