Vote Yes/No/Undecided on the Coalition.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Depends on which side of the argument spread it the fastest.

Either way I decided to cast my view, although it's not really going to make a difference either way, since it's pretty much out of our hands what they all do.

*shrugs*

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Depends on which side of the argument spread it the fastest.

Either way I decided to cast my view, although it's not really going to make a difference either way, since it's pretty much out of our hands what they all do.

*shrugs*

It shouldn't be if your MP is one who is considering joining the coalition. You should, theoretically, have a voice through your MP. That's kind of the point, no?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
It shouldn't be if your MP is one who is considering joining the coalition. You should, theoretically, have a voice through your MP. That's kind of the point, no?

When was the last time my MP asked or even listened to my opinion. Even when I sent in a letter to my local MP he did not answer.. Please tell me that my Local Conservative MP really cares.. The only time I get a call is at election time when I am asked for "Donations" and how important my views are.. When I remind them about the topic, they quickly hang up, with no thank you or politeness.. Why not just answer the question and perhaps gain a vote ?

And I know many Liberals / NDP do the same.. Its the MPs that need to start to be accountable.. But people vote for the party not the individual..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And I know many Liberals / NDP do the same.. Its the MPs that need to start to be accountable.. But people vote for the party not the individual..

No, realistically speaking, Canadians vote with three factors in mind, and weigh them out to decide where to cast their vote.

1. The future Prime Minister as named and campaigned by the parties (the whole 'we don't vote for a PM' thing is bull, because they certainly campaign the pricks).
2. The party platform.
3. The local MP.

One vote, split between three issues. Thus the massive frustration over situations like this one.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
This poll just shows most Canadians don't understand the Parliamentary system or that most fascist states begin with popular support.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Talking Heads (the At Issue panel) on the CBC National were unanimous..........the coalition is dead. Liberal supporters, and now Liberal MPs, are abandoning the idea in droves.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You can let your voice be heard, and see how other Canadians are voting. So far the results (only a few hours old) are showing no support for the coalition. You can cast your vote at http://www.CanadianCoalitionVote.ca Pass this along to everyone you know. Although I do think the results are staggering already.

Glenn

Here's where it's at so far...
There were a total of 92 voters.
Do Canadians Support the Coalition?

25 total Yes Votes
62 total No Votes
5 total Undecided Votes

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

My MP is "Ralph Goodale" (I'm not kidding you at all) who's the ONE Liberal MP between
all of Alberta & Saskatchewan. He's been dodging everyone all week. The local radio station
had even tried to get any of their listeners to reach him and get a response all week via phone
or Email....no go...

Ralph finally agreed to come on the radio (and stated he'd answer No questions from any
listeners). He tirade'd about 5&1/2 minutes from what I understand, and was then off the air.
There where so many callers into the station that the DJ would only take their calls if they could
sum up their words into one sentence each. It's not a Liberal or coalition crowd out here...

Do I feel that I have a voice through my MP? Not so much....If this Coalition is a go though,
Ralph may become the Finance Minister. All I can say is....what-ever...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This poll just shows most Canadians don't understand the Parliamentary system or that most fascist states begin with popular support.

or that citizens are even more disgusted with the Liberals for aligning with the Bloc then they are with Harper?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
or that citizens are even more disgusted with the Liberals for aligning with the Bloc then they are with Harper?

Or that some of us don't feel like spending one red dime more to juggle around a bunch of talking heads and essentially end up in the same place anyway.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Maybe but I doubt it.

My theory:

We are a country of liberals and one of the golden rules is the population always root for the wounded party and looks for someone to blame. Harper was perceived as under attack so he got popular. The opposition should now give Harper the rope for him to look like a tyrant. One misstep by Harper and the Liberal bias will kick in and the other parties will gain support. They could say things like "I wish Parliament was in session so I could represent my constituents - I feel really badly for the people that elected me."

One thing you can count on with Canadians: they don't like responsibility.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Get on with business of governing you lardasses. Now I understand how some Americans feel about George W. Geez, this is embarassing for our country.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Maybe but I doubt it.

My theory:

We are a country of liberals and one of the golden rules is the population always root for the wounded party and looks for someone to blame. Harper was perceived as under attack so he got popular. The opposition should now give Harper the rope for him to look like a tyrant. One misstep by Harper and the Liberal bias will kick in and the other parties will gain support. They could say things like "I wish Parliament was in session so I could represent my constituents - I feel really badly for the people that elected me."

One thing you can count on with Canadians: they don't like responsibility.

I don't think the Liberals are going to get much traction until Dion is gone from the scene. He has alienated a lot of traditional liberal voters and had more or less poisoned the next Liberal candidate in a federal election.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Coalition is definitely starting to falter- saw Liberal M.P. fron Ontario on the news tonight bad mouthing the coalition - if Liberals return to power I doubt if HE will be getting a top cabinet post...........LOL