Vancouver burns after cup loss

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Re: Major riots in Vancouver after Canuck loss!

AP shopped it?

Did they? Someone wrote on the picture and make a red arrow so it's clearly a shopped picture. I assume you mean the Associated Press. There is no indication that it's their picture to start with.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

I was actually expecting that.. it's happened before, after a game 7 loss the NYR in '94.. but it would be wrong to say it was Canucks fans responsible.. it was part of the hooligan culture that has sprung up around professional sports. There were people in the crowd who came for a riot and nothing more, win or lose.. and there were a lot of people who encouraged it by standing around watching and applauding while cars were torched and stores looted. It lasted a couple of hours and that was the end of it.. it wasn't that big a deal.. but Vancouver's downtown has quite a mess to clean up this morning.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There were about a hundred thousand hockey fans and about a hundred goons who brought along the stuff they needed to break
windows and start fires. I know the headlines have made all Vancouver hockey fans vandals and criminals but that was not the case.
Somehow these events draw idiots. I was dissapointed that the Canucks lost but to do the damage these a-holes did was unacceptable.

You just ain't "Whistling Dixie".

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

I'm ****ing embarrassed for Vancouver. These people were not real Vancouverites and thanks to Facebook/Twitter people who are also disgusted are posting pictures and videos of the rioters to help identify them for the police..

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I'm ****ing embarrassed for Vancouver. These people were not real Vancouverites and thanks to Facebook/Twitter people who are also disgusted are posting pictures and videos of the rioters to help identify them for the police..

The funny part was that before the game they were talking about potential Boston riots if the B's win. Our Local Liberal Public Radio even had the Vancouver Chief of Police on the air and they were asking him why can Canada conduct celebrations like this and Boston can't. Clearly they did not do any research and their Cheif did not bring up 1994.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

The funny part was that before the game they were talking about potential Boston riots if the B's win. Our Local Liberal Public Radio even had the Vancouver Chief of Police on the air and they were asking him why can Canada conduct celebrations like this and Boston can't. Clearly they did not do any research and their Cheif did not bring up 1994.
Well the days of public events like the one that lead to the riots are over because what City would want that risk?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Well the days of public events like the one that lead to the riots are over because what City would want that risk?

Well the city of Boston really laid out the law on this Championship. When the Red Sox won a few years back the place went bonkers and the kids rioted... both times!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I started to like the Cubbies due to Harry Caray, and the 7th inning stretch. Added something, and they aren't the same since he passed. The whole city seemed to have some team spirit, or maybe my imagination was rampant.

No Yankees fan here, no fear.

Oh the Cubs fans are faithful and have spirit... but I KNOW from experience having a Cubs "like" team is so very painful. Whole generations of Red Sox fans were born, lived, and died without ever seeing a World Series Championship. I count myself lucky to have seen two.

Cubs fans are still wallowing in despair.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Well I guess it's not just a Montreal thing any more .
Oh well congrats Bruins .... even tho 15 players are Canadian