University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
"I" am not responsible for someone elses actions. Neither is the pro-life movement. If someone get's violent at a peaceful demonstration, then they and they alone are responsible for their actions and should be treated and charged accordingly.

In principle I'd agree, but things are a little more complicated here. We had a similar "educational display" marching around a nearby hospital for a couple of weeks last summer. These people were far from "peaceful demonstrators" and bystanders were openly intimidated. In reading the history of exchnages between this group and the UofA administration over the years it's pretty easy to see they are taking an in-your-face stance and thus must take some responsibility for the atmosphere they are creating.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In principle I'd agree, but things are a little more complicated here. We had a similar "educational display" marching around a nearby hospital for a couple of weeks last summer.
Dishonesty is another earmark of a lack of reason and logic.

They aren't marching, they are putting up a display.

You can keep on making stuff up as you go, to look right, but you're failing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Who's stifling? This is the same twisted crap you tried to push when we talked about The Rebel, and I'm not buying it. Take your trolling somewhere else.

I've been involved in helping host a few public events over the years. It was generally accepted that we were responsible for purchasing liability insurance to cover any unforeseen mishaps that may arise out of the event. How is the UofA situation any different? The need for security wouldn't exist without the "educational display".

The UofA is only interested in stifling the pro life message. That is it. U of C did the same thing with the Pro lifers. Did the government or cities require abortion clinics to pay for extra policing to make sure that pro-life protesters stayed away from their doors? No, the government brought in legislation and provided police "protection". Looks to me like this is a one way street.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No wonder you guys are so quick to fall back on name-calling and insults, reason and logic is beyond your reach.
So far, you've presumed to tell Bear what his position is, and called anyone who disagrees with you "bozos."

Pretty rich for you to criticizing others for "name-calling and insults."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can understand the university's position, Whether the cost is out of line or not I don't know. I guess the litmus test would be do they charge a pro abortion group the same fee?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Do the pro choicers get given the same options? 17,500 or hidden away?

From what UofA staffers have said in the media, yes. The outcome of similar situations in the past has shown the student body to be divided and passionate over this issue. The feeling is that you can't have one side put on a presentation without attracting the other side. The choice of a more private, more easily controlled venue would insure that those attending would be open to the opinions being expressed, thus less chance of any hostility.

Last edited:

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
The organizers of this event should have been clever in this play. The university has clear-cut policies on security and safety and that makes them a target for political bs.

Thinking of targeting, are university attending females not likely to have their lives derailed by an unwanted pregnancy? Seems pretty sick to torment some pretty stressed out people more, just to satisfy a purely judgemental urge by evangelicals.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The organizers of this event should have been clever in this play. The university has clear-cut policies on security and safety and that makes them a target for political bs.

Thinking of targeting, are university attending females not likely to have their lives derailed by an unwanted pregnancy? Seems pretty sick to torment some pretty stressed out people more, just to satisfy a purely judgemental urge by evangelicals.

You do realize that one can not get pregnant "by accident". That there are certain "biological" steps that need to be taken for one to become pregnant, right?