University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The anti abortion groups will be around whining in the wilderness until
JC comes back it is time to move on
This is a dog and pony show. Christians should promote that 'life' (your name written in the Book of Life) begins with conception and if you were conceived then you name will be read out at the Great White Throne event and that is just in time to enter the new earth. Everybody dies and a death before breathing air is not worse than dying at 120 years of age.

The transition is referenced in these verses.

Re:2:17:
He that hath an ear,
let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;
To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna,
and will give him a white stone,
and in the stone a new name written,
which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Re:5:9:
And they sung a new song,
saying,
Thou art worthy to take the book,
and to open the seals thereof:
for thou wast slain,
and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred,
and tongue,
and people,
and nation;

Isa:62:2:
And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness,
and all kings thy glory:
and thou shalt be called by a new name,
which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

Zep:3:9:
For then will I turn to the people a pure language,
that they may all call upon the name of the LORD,
to serve him with one consent.

After that it pretty much remains the same for a very long time.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yup, so much for "institutions of higher learning" - they should be called "institutions for brainwashing" or some such. I'm sure someone can come up with a better title though....

Its disgusting and extremely disturbing that this has happened and continues to happen at campuses across the country. How do we stop this?

JMO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yup, so much for "institutions of higher learning" - they should be called "institutions for brainwashing" or some such. I'm sure someone can come up with a better title though....

Its disgusting and extremely disturbing that this has happened and continues to happen at campuses across the country. How do we stop this?

JMO
We could declare war on universities.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
If they are a part of the university they probably get a discount. What I am asking is was the actual cause they represent factored in? Or would a similar club asking for same location at same time get the same rate?

My understanding is that they've had these displays before at no charge and there's not been any issue. So why now??

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

JMO

Education. ANyone that thinks life begins at conception missed gr. 8 biology.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can see both sides of this issue. Doesn't make it
right though.

On one hand, a pro-life grouping/rally/whatever would
potentially need greater security than....let say a comic
book convention or a coin collectors show, etc....

On the other hand, if it could be proven that this pro-life
rally was able to provide its own security for the event,
could this prohibitive $17,500 security fee be waived or
lessened due to the mitigating factor of self provided
security?

What do you expect from rednecks

Please feel free to expand upon this comment....You've
got my attention and curiosity.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
My understanding is that they've had these displays before at no charge and there's not been any issue. So why now??

Problems in the past are the main reason behind the heightened security requirements for this year according to U of A representatives.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/02/23/university-defends-security-fee-for-anti-abortion-group.html

And I'll be honest, I usually treat people who advocate and support the stifling of rights that are the cornerstones of democracy, with incredible contempt. It's all they're worth.

I have no problem with free speech. I do have a problem with the way it is expressed. Too often the right to free speech is used as a screen for a less than ethical agenda. The right to freedom of speech comes with a responsibility to exercise that right with integrity, not to mention a level of courtesy and respect.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thinking of targeting, are university attending females not likely to have their lives derailed by an unwanted pregnancy.
derailed? The female body is designed to make babies. It is nature's purpose for being female. It's nature that is being derailed.

If they can't handle what comes naturally they can close to be sterilized.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have no problem with free speech.
Yes you do, lol.

I do have a problem with the way it is expressed.
And right there is where you admit it, lol

Too often the right to free speech is used as a screen for a less than ethical agenda.
I agree, which is why I take people like you to task.

The right to freedom of speech comes with a responsibility to exercise that right with integrity, not to mention a level of courtesy and respect.
And there's your unethical agenda. People like you unethically use words like integrity, and respect, to hide your true nature, to shut down or hinder discourse.

I'm still curious as to why you blame rape victims.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I agree, which is why I take people like you to task.
Sheriff, Judge, Jury, Executioner. What's not to like about your version of life? (except it is wrong) Just like it is 'wrong' to add in your lol after making your usual snide comment. Like I just did, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sheriff, Judge, Jury, Executioner. What's not to like about your version of life? (except it is wrong) Just like it is 'wrong' to add in your lol after making your usual snide comment. Like I just did, lol.
Geezus you're an idiot.