University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
One could argue that erecting a deliberately inflammatory display the pro-lifers are creating the hazard.
Yep, that's the standard dodge the authorities use to shut down free speech.

That's the grounds they used to arrest the suffragettes, the civil rights marchers, Lenny Bruce, you name it.

Son, left-wing fascism is still fascism.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I see the problem now. You don't understand that the University of Alberta is a government organization.

No, I see the problem that would arise out of making the government responsible for covering the expenses of anyone who thinks they have something to say. Free speech is a right to be sure, but it carries a level of responsibility with it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Are you starting to see why I distance myself from the left as drastically as I do?
To be fair, the right is equally fascist when they're on top.

No, I see the problem that would arise out of making the government responsible for covering the expenses of anyone who thinks they have something to say. Free speech is a right to be sure, but it carries a level of responsibility with it.
This is real simple. Allow none or allow all.

What's hard about that?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, I see the problem that would arise out of making the government responsible for covering the expenses of anyone who thinks they have something to say.
Yes, you already explained how you think the charge was punitive.

Free speech is a right to be sure, but it carries a level of responsibility with it.
It already does, do not incite violence.

You should probably look that up, before you tell me that's what posting anti abortion lit is.

Blame them for what?
You're saying this groups display, may cause violence.

Some people say a scantly glad woman asks for rape.

Do you understand how you're just like them?

To be fair, the right is equally fascist when they're on top.
Never said anything to the contrary.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
One could argue that erecting a deliberately inflammatory display the pro-lifers are creating the hazard.

and how is showing FACTUAL pictures of babies that have been ripped apart during an abortion inflammatory? The pics have not been doctored, or taken out of context. Or are you saying that those that support of the murder and butcher of babies can't help themselves and will also extend that violence to pro lifers?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Most sympathies that are sent your way are for your parents.

and how is showing FACTUAL pictures of babies that have been ripped apart during an abortion inflammatory? The pics have not been doctored, or taken out of context.
Where on here? I thought the was a ban on publishing pics of dead children.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Most sympathies that are sent your way are for your parents.

Where on here? I thought the was a ban on publishing pics of dead children.

Do you have anything of substance to add on this topic?