Two years into the Trudeau 2.0 Minority Term, which day will Justin call the election that only he wants?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Within Bill C-65, the "Electoral Participation Act," the Liberals are trying to move the next fixed election date from Oct. 20, 2025 to Oct. 27, 2025, citing conflicts with a series of fall holidays and local elections.

However, it's come to light (???) that postponing the vote by even one day has the knock-on effect of securing pensions for 80 MPs first elected in 2019 who wouldn't qualify if they lost their seats before hitting their six year service mark: Oct. 21, 2025. Hmmmm…
So will it be a Liberal & Bloc majority or a Liberal & NDP majority…. or has this thing become so cynically toxic that it doesn’t actually go through???

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I conclude, as an outsider, that this is "self dealing." Let us say that the Member from Upyabutt, Saskbertitobario, was a teacher, simply bringing knowledge and skills to children, when the direction of education and the health and cognition of the kids parading through her classroom began to concern him. She thought about it for a long time, and decided to stand for Parliament in hope of fixing the system. Because of Canada's restrictive campaign-finance laws, he spent down his life savings financing her campaign, and glory be! got elected.

Now his salary, which was $93K/yr as a teacher (average Canadian teacher salary) is $200K as a member. So. . . for the sixish years she is a member, he makes roughly $642K more than she would have made as a teacher. Surely this amount compensates him for her expenditures in acquiring and holding office, and makes at least as large a contribution to his retirement savings as she would have made had he just driven on with teaching.

So trying for more in the form of a pension is fine, but not if it is the sole reason for shifting an election date. Taking a medium-significant action like that for the sake of sitting MPs is. . . self-dealing.

That's a horseback look at it.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like it, but it’s a lot of words…..& I’d love to have the location of Upyabutt, Saskbertitobario on at least one piece of my ID.

In summary….graft… unless I misunderstand the definition of the word which is entirely possible, and maybe even plausible and probable.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I like it, but it’s a lot of words…..& I’d love to have the location of Upyabutt, Saskbertitobario on at least one piece of my ID.

In summary….graft… unless I misunderstand the definition of the word which is entirely possible, and maybe even plausible and probable.
'Tis a lovely wee hamlet in the glens of Lake Watchalookinat.

Sorry, analysis and explanation takes a bit of exposition.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Keep dreaming if you think he will call an election before the official date.

There's no incentive whatsoever for that.

The only alternate scenario I can imagine is that Trump wins in the US, causing a flood of fascist-tinged lobbyism that spooks Trudeau enough to believe his life is at risk, and calling an election is the easier way out.

And that's probably not going to happen, at least not to any legitimately threatening degree.

He's going to milk his reign as long as he can.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Keep dreaming if you think he will call an election before the official date.

There's no incentive whatsoever for that.

The only alternate scenario I can imagine is that Trump wins in the US, causing a flood of fascist-tinged lobbyism that spooks Trudeau enough to believe his life is at risk, and calling an election is the easier way out.

And that's probably not going to happen, at least not to any legitimately threatening degree.

He's going to milk his reign as long as he can.
Singh up here, in the Spring of 2025, qualifies for his golden parachute pension…& just yesterday the noise is that the NDP “aren’t” going to support the moving of the election date federally from October 20th to 27th….maybe… So that “potentially” opens up the window from the set date of 17 months in the future to a window of 12-17 months in the future…

…So basically between Singh’s pension coming due in the spring to late October.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I mean, 5 months less really won't change much. The question is how much Wacko PP will fuck up before the election. Yes, it should be an easy win for the Conservatives, but he's his own worst enemy, much like Trump.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I mean, 5 months less really won't change much. The question is how much Wacko PP will fuck up before the election. Yes, it should be an easy win for the Conservatives, but he's his own worst enemy, much like Trump.
I concur with your assessment of the situation. This next federal election in Canada isn’t Trudeau’s to win, but Poilievre’s to lose.

Reactions: mentalfloss

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
City councillor makes a 'wild' citizen's arrest in Leaside

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Jun 05, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

Councillor Jon Burnside and two other men made a citizen’s arrest at a Home Depot in Leaside on June 5, 2024.
Councillor Jon Burnside and two other men made a citizen’s arrest at a Home Depot in Leaside on June 5, 2024.
Once a cop, always a cop.

This is something two alleged thieves learned the hard way when they crossed paths with Toronto Councillor Jon Burnside on Wednesday at a Home Depot store in Leaside.

If cops don’t respond right away to a 911 call about an alleged shoplifter, just call Burnside. He’ll make the arrest.

A citizen’s arrest — but from a guy who knows how to do it.

“It was wild,” said the Don Valley East (Ward 16) councillor, who was a Toronto cop for 10 years until 2001. “The first thing I heard was the emergency alarms going off. And then I saw these two guys pushing shopping carts loaded up with DeWalt tools were heading out without paying.”

His first reaction was to get his phone out to get some video.

“But then the guy turned to me and said, “I will kill you,” Burnside alleged.

At that point, Burnside realized it was a self-defence situation.

“It was very physical,” he added. “He was very wiry and strong. Punches were thrown.”

But with the help of another customer, Nick Lexovsky and an off-duty firefighter, a suspect was held until police arrived and took him into custody.

“I was in the store shopping and I saw these guys with masks and saw they had six chain saws,” said Lexovsky. “One guy turns around and sees me and starts saying things like, ‘I am going to kill you,’ And then who do I see coming in but Jon.”

Lexovsky said was impressed with Burnside’s quick response and capability.

“He is 100% a hero,” said Lexovsky.

Community organizer Justin Van Dette said Burnside, who “never dropped his serve and protect” oath, should “get the key to the city.”

Toronto Police Const. Sinderela Chung said, according to the allegations, “officers attended The Home Depot in Leaside for a theft in progress at approximately 9 a.m. (Wednesday)” and “customers were holding a suspect who tried to leave the store with unpaid merchandise.

“The customer was taken into custody by police and the investigation is currently on going,” added Chung.

Burnside said it took officers 15 minutes to arrive, and he was sure glad to see them. Now, he’s been on both sides of something like this — as an officer and as a civilian.

The suspect he dealt with “had a smell of alcohol on him,” according to Burnside, who said he was worried that the alleged thief might be armed.

After they subdued the man, they got him a bottle of water. The other suspect took off with what one witness said was a chainsaw, but not most of what was in his cart.

The Home Depot has not yet commented. But I will: Way to go, Jon Burnside!

As a columnist, who has covered crime over three decades in Toronto, I can say there should be no criticism of Burnside or the others. There should be a standing ovation.

He did what everybody would like to do.

If the drug world is going to be in charge of Toronto’s economy to a point where they put stores out of business and make it unsafe go anywhere, and the police, politicians and courts have no answer, then it’s just a matter of time before people organize and start taking care of matters themselves.

They can’t be expected to wait for an overwhelmed police department, with an average call response time of more than 30 minutes. People on the scene may start to make the arrests — without Sunshine List salaries and gold-plated pensions.

Hopefully, it won’t be necessary and doesn’t come to that.

“It does bother me that people are stealing with impunity,” said Burnside, who also called police in 2018 when an alleged drunk driver almost ran him and his campaign team down in Leaside.

Don’t mess with Burnside.

It’s nice to see an alleged bad guy get caught for a change.

That said, the councillor would not recommend that others do what he did.

“I know I did the right thing and I also know it was the stupid thing,” he said. “It could have worked out differently.”

However, he felt it was more of a self-defence situation and once threats were allegedly made towards him, he surmised very quickly his only option was to take the physical route.

It turns out that police training is like riding a bicycle. You never lose the ability.

Maybe it’s time, Chief Myron Demkiw, to recruit Const. Burnside once again. Or give him a key to the city, Mayor Olivia Chow.

Or perhaps a big thank you from The Home Depot?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
City councillor makes a 'wild' citizen's arrest in Leaside

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Jun 05, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

Once a cop, always a cop.

This is something two alleged thieves learned the hard way when they crossed paths with Toronto Councillor Jon Burnside on Wednesday at a Home Depot store in Leaside.

If cops don’t respond right away to a 911 call about an alleged shoplifter, just call Burnside. He’ll make the arrest.

A citizen’s arrest — but from a guy who knows how to do it.

“It was wild,” said the Don Valley East (Ward 16) councillor, who was a Toronto cop for 10 years until 2001. “The first thing I heard was the emergency alarms going off. And then I saw these two guys pushing shopping carts loaded up with DeWalt tools were heading out without paying.”

His first reaction was to get his phone out to get some video.

“But then the guy turned to me and said, “I will kill you,” Burnside alleged.

At that point, Burnside realized it was a self-defence situation.

“It was very physical,” he added. “He was very wiry and strong. Punches were thrown.”

But with the help of another customer, Nick Lexovsky and an off-duty firefighter, a suspect was held until police arrived and took him into custody.

“I was in the store shopping and I saw these guys with masks and saw they had six chain saws,” said Lexovsky. “One guy turns around and sees me and starts saying things like, ‘I am going to kill you,’ And then who do I see coming in but Jon.”

Lexovsky said was impressed with Burnside’s quick response and capability.

“He is 100% a hero,” said Lexovsky.

Community organizer Justin Van Dette said Burnside, who “never dropped his serve and protect” oath, should “get the key to the city.”

Toronto Police Const. Sinderela Chung said, according to the allegations, “officers attended The Home Depot in Leaside for a theft in progress at approximately 9 a.m. (Wednesday)” and “customers were holding a suspect who tried to leave the store with unpaid merchandise.

“The customer was taken into custody by police and the investigation is currently on going,” added Chung.

Burnside said it took officers 15 minutes to arrive, and he was sure glad to see them. Now, he’s been on both sides of something like this — as an officer and as a civilian.

The suspect he dealt with “had a smell of alcohol on him,” according to Burnside, who said he was worried that the alleged thief might be armed.

After they subdued the man, they got him a bottle of water. The other suspect took off with what one witness said was a chainsaw, but not most of what was in his cart.

The Home Depot has not yet commented. But I will: Way to go, Jon Burnside!

As a columnist, who has covered crime over three decades in Toronto, I can say there should be no criticism of Burnside or the others. There should be a standing ovation.

He did what everybody would like to do.

If the drug world is going to be in charge of Toronto’s economy to a point where they put stores out of business and make it unsafe go anywhere, and the police, politicians and courts have no answer, then it’s just a matter of time before people organize and start taking care of matters themselves.

They can’t be expected to wait for an overwhelmed police department, with an average call response time of more than 30 minutes. People on the scene may start to make the arrests — without Sunshine List salaries and gold-plated pensions.

Hopefully, it won’t be necessary and doesn’t come to that.

“It does bother me that people are stealing with impunity,” said Burnside, who also called police in 2018 when an alleged drunk driver almost ran him and his campaign team down in Leaside.

Don’t mess with Burnside.

It’s nice to see an alleged bad guy get caught for a change.

That said, the councillor would not recommend that others do what he did.

“I know I did the right thing and I also know it was the stupid thing,” he said. “It could have worked out differently.”

However, he felt it was more of a self-defence situation and once threats were allegedly made towards him, he surmised very quickly his only option was to take the physical route.

It turns out that police training is like riding a bicycle. You never lose the ability.

Maybe it’s time, Chief Myron Demkiw, to recruit Const. Burnside once again. Or give him a key to the city, Mayor Olivia Chow.

Or perhaps a big thank you from The Home Depot?
a politician arresting someone? shouldnt it be the other way around? ;)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Powlowski said that if he loses his seat in Thunder Bay – Rainy River, he can simply return to his medical practice. But as the article then noted, “some MPs may find it hard to get a similar well-paying and prestigious job as they currently have if (?) they lose the next election.”

It’s a clue as to why the current federal government is proving so remarkably intransigent. Few governments in Canadian history have experienced such a sustained period of public ire.

Not only are Liberal approval ratings at all-time lows, but a majority of voters now say that Trudeau’s entire premiership has been a waste of time. An April Research Co. poll found that 55 per cent of respondents now believed that Trudeau had “accomplished little” as prime minister.

And yet, Trudeau is not only refusing to resign – but he’s refusing to admit that he’s unpopular. On the semi-frequent occasion that the prime minister is asked why he’s still bothering to come to work, his usual reply is that he’s merely the scapegoat for an irrationally angry populace.

“People look at the person in charge and say ‘the world’s going to a bad place it must be your fault,’” was how he explained it in an April interview with Vox.
His ministry has similarly retained a united front in the face of plummeting public approval: No resignations (?), no veiled criticism of government policy, no hint that they’re alienating the electorate.

As hinted at by the Powlowski interview, one of Canada’s most obstinate governments also happens to be one that is disproportionately led by people who are currently occupying the best and more lucrative job they may ever enjoy.

And that job has only gotten more lucrative in recent years. Following a pay boost on April 1, Canadian MPs became the second-best paid elected officials in the world after the United States. The Canadian prime minister, at $420,527 per year, now ranks as sixth-highest paid government leader among democratic peers.

The usual argument for paying politicians well is that it attracts talent and insulates against corruption (?). But it may also risk entrenching lacklustre MPs who have nowhere else to go…& the weekly or so scandals that bury the previous scandals under other scandals…well…

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, another week gone by…& more comes out about more scandals, etc…& the Liberal/NDP’s have gone…up…in the projection polls…
1718628478711.jpeg
1718628501631.jpeg
1718628611175.jpeg
We are still looking at the next federal Canadian election to be held in the window between late spring 2025 after Jagmeet Singh his guaranteed his pension…& October 27th 2025 when a whole slew of others that will not get re-elected are guaranteed pensions that they wouldn’t get if the election was actually on or before October 20th, 2025.
1718628781271.jpeg
1718628875980.jpeg

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Another 4 seats flipped in Ontario.
It is the center of fickleness it seems…
1719201903708.jpeg
1719201935508.jpeg
1719202047610.jpeg
I predicted the Conservatives winning with 240 Seats in Oct 2025 a while back & I’m sticking with that prediction. The number just sounds right.

Conservatives 240
Liberals. 47 assuming Trudeau stays
Bloc. 32
NDP. 22
Greens (plural) 2
——————————-
343 total seats (338 + 5)

(Then an unpopular clean up of nine years of the budgets balancing themselves will follow)

Unlike the West when Liberals are in power, Quebec is going to read the tea leaves and the Bloc will lose seats to the Conservatives as Quebec votes strategically to have a voice in Parliament.

The NDP will come out about the same as now but in ridings they never expected, while losing in many they currently have. The NDP will get punished with losses in ridings they currently hold, but disappointed Liberal voters elsewhere will punish the Liberals by voting NDP ‘cuz they can’t bring themselves to vote for a right leaning centrist party 😉.

The Green Party will retain the same two seats in the same two ridings.

Then the Liberals…they’ll still be the official opposition, and will squeal like that dude in Deliverance about how the Conservatives don’t care about Canadians as the fat gets trimmed to try to put out the financial dumpster fire they’ve inherited.

It’ll take into their (Conservatives) second term before foreign investment of significance trusts Canadians enough to roll the dice on investment back into Canada again.

We’ll have missed out on the Natural Gas demand and still be behind the 8-ball regarding pipeline capacity for other petroleum products, but at least we’ll be turning the corner on our economic basket case that we’ve become, with a long ways to go.