Twitter Users Rip Jordan Peterson a New One

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have yet to meet a woman that is too skinny. NOt sayn they are not out there, I have just never seen one.BMI means nothing to me. just the size and tonnage. So, unless she is over 6 ft , she should not be over 180 lbs.
The model in question on the cover of the magazine is 5‘11“ (google).
According to who, to what?

Those aren't 'rolls', lol.

And if you think it's 100lbs with a BMI reading, you're an idiot as BMI is NOT a way to judge ones fitness or weight really.

This is why there's such an issue with women's body images especially today.

I'd much rather someone like her on magazine covers than someone who is so skinny that she is anorexic/bulimic JUST so she can be on those covers.
A buddy of mine on the BMI comes up as obese in the ratio between his height and his weight. He’s also an MMA fighter with about 3% body fat. He’s about 5‘8“ tall and built like the Hulk.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have yet to meet a woman that is too skinny. NOt sayn they are not out there, I have just never seen one.BMI means nothing to me. just the size and tonnage. So, unless she is over 6 ft , she should not be over 180 lbs.
According to who, to what?

Those aren't 'rolls', lol.

And if you think it's 100lbs with a BMI reading, you're an idiot as BMI is NOT a way to judge ones fitness or weight really.

This is why there's such an issue with women's body images especially today.

I'd much rather someone like her on magazine covers than someone who is so skinny that she is anorexic/bulimic JUST so she can be on those covers.
A buddy of mine on the BMI comes up as obese in the ratio between his height and his weight. He’s also an MMA fighter with about 3% body fat. He’s about 5‘8“ tall and built like the Hulk

Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

A buddy of mine on the BMI comes up as obese in the ratio between his height and his weight. He’s also an MMA fighter with about 3% body fat. He’s about 5‘8“ tall and built like the Hulk

If I were what my BMI 'suggested' my weight should be, I would look super sickly. BMI is a 'suggestion', IMO, and you have to factor in other things into a person like body type, if they do work out or not, etc.

Body image is the bane - and death, sometimes literally - of women all over.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Best rule of thumb I know is your height should be at least twice your waist (guys like Ron's buddy excepted).

In other words, if you can wrap yourself around your waist twice, you're OK.

And a contortionist.
I’m 6’2 & 215lbs with a 34” waist. Using one of these BMI calculators….
1653095998640.jpeg
1653096023643.jpeg
It states that I’m overweight. 6’2” = 74” - (34” x 2) means my height is twice my waist plus an extra 6” so I’d say this BMI is a load of BS.

Reactions: Serryah

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The guy I was describing above a couple of posts has about a 30” waist, 5’8” height, and about 200lbs, and EASILY double my strength (but 20yrs younger than me also).

5’8”=68” - (30”x2)= 8” taller than double his waist size, but obese on the BMI.
1653096561520.jpeg
1653096595723.jpeg
Again, this guy is about 3% body fat which means closer to zero than any of us will ever get.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If I were what my BMI 'suggested' my weight should be, I would look super sickly. BMI is a 'suggestion', IMO, and you have to factor in other things into a person like body type, if they do work out or not, etc.

Body image is the bane - and death, sometimes literally - of women all over.
This below chart is for Males, but if Iost 20lbs somehow to get to the high end of the “Health Weight” I’d look like I was fighting Cancer, & if I got to the low end of the “Health Weight” range, I’d look like I was just rescued from Auschwitz.
1653097708839.jpeg

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Years ago, I decided to loose excess weight, because according to a life insurance calculator on line my life expectancy was 81 years
after loosing the weight I wanted to lose my life expectancy is now 97 years.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This below chart is for Males, but if Iost 20lbs somehow to get to the high end of the “Health Weight” I’d look like I was fighting Cancer, & if I got to the low end of the “Health Weight” range, I’d look like I was just rescued from Auschwitz.
View attachment 13843
Me too. That is why I don't care what their scale says. I'm 5:11 and just shy of 200 lbs. Also crowding 67. Been close to that for about 8 years now. Worst was 215 lbs. I felt like the Michelin man. That was when I discovered my thyroid was not working. Best was when I was about 42. 180 lbs and not an ounce of it was fat. I worked harder then. In those days the only fat loggers you seen were truck drivers, machine operators, and the odd foreman.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I like the BMI thing. One of the most amazing scams in history.

It was supposed to replace the old height/weight table. So what does it measure to plug into its formula?

Height and weight.

It's like saying measuring gas mileage in L/100km is somehow a revolutionary new concept, better than the tired old km/L.

It's measuring the same thing, morons!

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Me too. That is why I don't care what their scale says. I'm 5:11 and just shy of 200 lbs. Also crowding 67. Been close to that for about 8 years now. Worst was 215 lbs. I felt like the Michelin man. That was when I discovered my thyroid was not working. Best was when I was about 42. 180 lbs and not an ounce of it was fat. I worked harder then. In those days the only fat loggers you seen were truck drivers, machine operators, and the odd foreman.

So, bolded the point that is most interesting right there.

Medical conditions happen which can have people gain/maintain a heavy weight and/or struggle to lose.

So to swing this around to the OP - what if that were her situation? She 'carries extra weight' because of a medical condition?

She does all she can to control her weight.

Does that still make her unacceptable to a magazine cover?

Or could it possibly be a chance to expose such problems and the fact that what you see in a picture, movie, in person, when it comes to a person's weight, could have more things going on than "just eating junk" or "not exercising"?

It's one thing to say "okay no, she's not pretty enough", that's personal opinion. But to use her weight as an excuse is a whole other issue.

(this isn't to say there is a problem with her; again, I personally thin she's gorgeous and good on her for making the cover)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, bolded the point that is most interesting right there.

Medical conditions happen which can have people gain/maintain a heavy weight and/or struggle to lose.

So to swing this around to the OP - what if that were her situation? She 'carries extra weight' because of a medical condition?

She does all she can to control her weight.

Does that still make her unacceptable to a magazine cover?

Or could it possibly be a chance to expose such problems and the fact that what you see in a picture, movie, in person, when it comes to a person's weight, could have more things going on than "just eating junk" or "not exercising"?

It's one thing to say "okay no, she's not pretty enough", that's personal opinion. But to use her weight as an excuse is a whole other issue.

(this isn't to say there is a problem with her; again, I personally thin she's gorgeous and good on her for making the cover)
So. . . judging somebody by their body shape is WRONG and IMMORAL, but judging them by their facial bone structure is A-OK?

• Haha

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Bottom line is SI chose this model presumably to increase sales of their magazine. If their gamble pays off, they will make more $. If not, they will lose $. If their target demographic for this issue doesn't like this model, they won't buy. My guess is that they will lose a fair bit of their target demographic. The question becomes, will the ones who are all happy about the choice buy enough copies to make up for the shortfall? My guess is no. Of course their are non-monitory side effects such as free advertizing for their magazine, etc. When they add up alll the + and - it will be interesting if this was a successful business venture or not.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bottom line is SI chose this model presumably to increase sales of their magazine. If their gamble pays off, they will make more $. If not, they will lose $. If their target demographic for this issue doesn't like this model, they won't buy. My guess is that they will lose a fair bit of their target demographic. The question becomes, will the ones who are all happy about the choice buy enough copies to make up for the shortfall? My guess is no. Of course their are non-monitory side effects such as free advertizing for their magazine, etc. When they add up alll the + and - it will be interesting if this was a successful business venture or not.
Exactly. It was all aboot monetary gains and exposure.

Every year the swimsuit issue comes out the nutters start screaming misogyny as though these women were forced into photoshoots.