Trudeau tells B.C. pipeline wouldn't get approval without environmental confidence

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
:lol: "environmental confidence" What wonderful nonsense. The power of words. What do those words mean versus what the Liberals intend to do? The answer is obvious. This tells me the pipeline is going ahead.

What colour would you like your pipeline? :lol:
---

Trudeau tells B.C. that pipeline wouldn't get approval without environmental confidence
- The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER — Protesters opposed to the Trans Mountain oil pipeline expansion were ready to greet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s arrival at a Liberal party fundraising dinner on Thursday night in Vancouver.

They chanted “Kinder Morgan has got to go” as they marched several blocks through downtown to a hotel where the Liberals were meeting.

Emma Pullman, campaign manager with SumOfUs, said the protest is intended to show Trudeau that there is a lot opposition to the project and the Liberals stand to lose seats in B.C. if the pipeline is built.

“In a time when we need to be talking about a transition and talking about reconciliation the prime minister is talking about building a pipeline that’s going to be in the ground for 30 years,” she said.

“There’s literally thousands of people who are opposed to it, many of whom are voters.”

Chief Bob Chamberlin, vice-president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, said he wants a joint consultation with all the communities on the pipeline route through British Columbia.

Trudeau tells B.C. that pipeline wouldn’t get approval without environmental confidence | Vancouver Sun

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think you're stoned. :lol: or overdosed on prescription meds. Which is it?

No matter. The pipeline's a comin'!
---

This was written last April - April 2017. Those of you who are hoping to shut down the pipeline better understand that you are fighting an uphill battle. This is the man, and the party, that some of you have hitched your wagon to.

But he is a handsome guy. :roll:
---

Stop swooning over Justin Trudeau. The man is a disaster for the planet
- Bill McKibben

Excerpt:

Trudeau says all the right things, over and over. He’s got no Scott Pruitts in his cabinet: everyone who works for him says the right things. Indeed, they specialize in getting others to say them too – it was Canadian diplomats, and the country’s environment minister, Catherine McKenna, who pushed at the Paris climate talks for a tougher-than-expected goal: holding the planet’s rise in temperature to 1.5C (2.7F).

But those words are meaningless if you keep digging up more carbon and selling it to people to burn, and that’s exactly what Trudeau is doing. He’s hard at work pushing for new pipelines through Canada and the US to carry yet more oil out of Alberta’s tar sands, which is one of the greatest climate disasters on the planet.

Last month, speaking at a Houston petroleum industry gathering, he got a standing ovation from the oilmen for saying: “No country would find 173bn barrels of oil in the ground and just leave them there.”

Yes, 173bn barrels is indeed the estimate for recoverable oil in the tar sands. So let’s do some math. If Canada digs up that oil and sells it to people to burn, it will produce, according to the math whizzes at Oil Change International, 30% of the carbon necessary to take us past the 1.5C target that Canada helped set in Paris.

That is to say, Canada, which represents one half of 1% of the planet’s population, is claiming the right to sell the oil that will use up a third of the earth’s remaining carbon budget. Trump is a creep and a danger and unpleasant to look at, but at least he’s not a stunning hypocrite.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...p-swooning-justin-trudeau-man-disaster-planet

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
It would seem the left isn't getting much support from anyone.

Time for those of you who supported the Liberals to take a hard look at the NDP.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm an environmentalist. Therefore I support pipelines.

Because the inarguable fact is that pipelines have fewer spills per litre transported than any other means of transportation.

That's the fact. Feel free to deny it, just don't expect to be taken seriously.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm an environmentalist. Therefore I support pipelines.

Because the inarguable fact is that pipelines have fewer spills per litre transported than any other means of transportation.

That's the fact. Feel free to deny it, just don't expect to be taken seriously.

The alternative is rail.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Pipelines that don't get built have fewer spills than pipelines that do get built

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Pipelines that don't get built have fewer spills than pipelines that do get built

Pipelines that don't get built have their oil transported by truck or train.

Through Lac Megantic.

When the day comes that not enough oil is needed to continue justification of the pipeline (and it will), it can be removed. Unused pipelines get removed all the time. There are companies that do nothing else.

That's another fact.

We're on the same side, Hoid. I am big on proceeding to non-fossil energy as fast as possible. I just don't kid myself it can happen tomorrow.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The only way to change things is to change things.

Most of the anti oil crowd also claim the earth is overpopulated. Why are you still here? And still using a computer that is made mostly from oil.

Even more important if oil is a sunset industry as yunlike to think why would we leave it in the ground while there is still a market since you claim our grandkids won't need any?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

This sinking in Barnet Inlet will kill everything from surface to sea floor for several km around it. There is no way to contain the product, no way to recover the product, and it will take years for life to return. 1 leaves Port Moody every day and another leaves Burnaby everyday and has for 35 years.

Where is the fear and loathing?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

This sinking in Barnet Inlet will kill everything from surface to sea floor for several km around it. There is no way to contain the product, no way to recover the product, and it will take years for life to return. 1 leaves Port Moody every day and another leaves Burnaby everyday and has for 35 years.

Where is the fear and loathing?

Well. . . I loathe you.

Hope that helps.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Because people have not been protesting the Burnaby hub since the day it opened.

I like you. You make us all laugh.