Trudeau announces Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first representative to combat Islamophobia

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My great grandparents came in 1907 from Ukraine and got a parcel of land in SK. They came with my uncle who was 1 year old. My grandmother had not yet been born. My great-grandmother (my Babba) was still alive for my first 8 years. When my mom was orphaned when she was 6 she wound up being raised by her as well. From what I understand it was tough times those early years.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My great grandparents came in 1907 from Ukraine and got a parcel of land in SK. They came with my uncle who was 1 year old. My grandmother had not yet been born. My great-grandmother (my Babba) was still alive for my first 8 years. When my mom was orphaned when she was 6 she wound up being raised by her as well. From what I understand it was tough times those early years.
“You dirty colonial settler!!” Your ancestors would’ve run a genocidal apartheid on gophers and grasshoppers alike. Tough times.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mine came to Saskatchewan from South Africa to help get the gravel pit started at Aylesbury SK to help get the construction of roads and rail beds going. Not too many prefab structures out on the Canadian prairie at that point.

After the crushing plant finally shut down, Frank Rider, the last foreman, lived at the site until Cliff Watkin's grandfather bought it. His son, Harry Rider, became the Imperial Oil dealer at Aylesbury.

Andrew Romanow was born in 1861, he was the son of Stefan Romanow & Mary Demus. He married Anastasia Bula, in 1881. Anastasia was born January 11, 1862, daughter of John Bula & Katherine Harasym. Andrew & Anastasia had 4 children before immigrating to Canada; Danko, Mary, Frank & Annie.

While in the Ukraine, Andrew served in the Austrian Army, but little is known where he served & how long. He also farmed but his farm only consisted of 6 or 7 acres of land. With the promise of free land and Religious freedom in Canada, Andrew & his family sold their farm & started their move to a country they know little about. Arriving in Halifax via Hanburg, Germany in the summer of 1897, they started their tract across a vast landscape to a region of Canada similar to their homeland. On November 21, 1897, they arrived on the prairies & stayed in Neudorf, N.W.T. with the Muzolowski family, until the spring of 1898.

Andrew & family built their first house in June of 1899. The log, mud and concrete house was a mere 14 x 24, but it would be their home for some time. By 1903, his family consisting of 10, lived in this home. On January 19, 1901, Andrew applied for & obtained his homestead. That same year, 1901, 20 acres of land were broken. In the year 1903, Andrew had 50 acres seeded into crop, 7 horses, 8 head of cattle & 14 pigs. In 1904, 2 sod stables, 16 x 24 were built along with a granary.

In 1908, Andrew Romanow helped organize & build the first Roman Catholic Church in Candiac. The "Ukraine's" longed for their own church & decided to establish a "Ukrainian Catholic Church". Three trustees were elected to undertake the organization; Andrew Romanow, Fred Gilewicz & Waysl Stopanski. The Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church, was built in 1913. It still serves the Ukrainian people to this day.

Andrew served as a trustee of the Fallowmead School, built in 1906. The Ukrainian language weekly, "Svoboda" published in New Jersey, carried a letter written by Andrew Romanow, telling about the free homesteads in this area. Mr Theodore Frycz moved here with his wife & 3 children. Daniel his son, carried on the farm, followed by his son, John.

Andrew was a progressive farmer, he bought the first steamer & threshing machine in the district & harvested his own & neighbours crops. He received his Steam Engineering papers in 1918. At that time, the steamer was a 25hp George White.

While sick, Andrew, in his Last Will & Testament, made provisions for his family. Anastasia was to receive $50 a year until she died, along with a cow, which her boys were to provide feed for. Andrew died March 08, 1920, this was written about him; Considering the few advantages that he received, in the way of education, he did well in learning the language of his adopted country & fulfilling his duties as a father, neighbour & citizen. He successfully over came the difficulties which beset the path of the pioneer without capitol & raised a large family.

Anastasia Romanow was a very small & frail woman, hardly the pioneering type of person. Her quiet, loving nature made her a favorite with all the grandchildren. She was especially fond of Walter & Tom. Anastasia was also a very religious person, she devoted much of her time to the Church & family. She dedicated the Cross, situated West of the Holy Ghost Church & South of the Mike Romanow Family Farm, to her son Danko. This was to recognize him a first son...
Anastasia passed away February 13, 1935. At that time, she was living with her son Frank & his wife Mary. She was honored with this obituary; Hard work, thrift & good management were the remarkable qualities of this happy couple. They prospered & rapidly increased their land holdings with the result that their 4 sons are comfortable settled on the original Homestead & adjoining lands. Mrs. Romanow lived to forget the first years on the Homestead, and see the nine original families at the colony grow into a almost solid colony of 40 families, all bearing enviable reputations for thrift, honesty and hard work.
Both Andrew & Anastasia are buried in the Holy Ghost Cemetery.
~May their memories be eternal.

I look like her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The explosion in antisemitic fervour did not suddenly appear out of nowhere. Rather, it has emerged out of an ideology that has become increasingly embedded in our social institutions and manipulated by Islamic radicals to co-opt masses of useful idiots.

This ideology is used to fuel hostility toward Jews and other supposedly “white adjacent” minorities, such as Hindu- and Chinese-Canadians. It emerges from a simplistic oppressor-oppressed ideology, which has gained prominence over the last few years and now dominates many institutions and sectors of Canadian society. It holds that we can neatly designate identity groups as either “privileged” or “marginalized” based on skin colour, average household incomes or educational achievement.
By contrast, under this ideological framework, members of Indigenous communities, Muslims, Black Canadians and trans people, among others, are all considered “oppressed.” Anything they do or say against their “privileged oppressors,” including Jews, or for the benefit of other “oppressed” groups, including Palestinians in Gaza, is thus justified?

If we’ve learned anything in recent years, it’s that deferring to radical ideology begets more and crazier forms of that ideology. Take, for example, the Toronto District School Board’s (TDSB) embrace of “anti-Palestinian racism,” or APR. APR absurdly holds that challenging the Palestinian narrative of “the Nakba,” or catastrophe, of Israel’s creation can be a form of racism against Palestinians.

Last week, in the face of unprecedented antisemitism sparked by radical Islamists over the past year, it was revealed by the Heritage Ministry that Elghawaby had let loose another extremist tirade in late August. She sent a letter to university and college heads stating they should hire more Muslim, Arab and Palestinian professors. The very people who — to a great extent — have incited the antisemitism we have been witnessing. The very people who have supported the occupation of college campuses across North America.

She had the audacity to write that,”since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in October 2023, a dangerous climate has arisen on campuses.” Without a word on who started the “dangerous climate.” It wasn’t started by Jewish students. Aside from her hiring call, she suggested briefing campus leaders, “on civil liberties and Islamophobia.” Though Canada has seen a slight increase in anti-Islamic incidents it pales in comparison to the more than 300% increase in antisemitic incidents as documented by the League for Human Rights.
QUEBEC — The National Assembly has again called for the resignation of Canada’s Special Representative on combating Islamophobia. The vote was 109 for, zero against. Rising in the legislature, Higher Education Minister Pascale Déry read the motion, which opens by noting education is the exclusive jurisdiction of the government of Quebec.

In a strongly worded motion adopted unanimously Tuesday, the legislature denounces the representative, Amira Elghawaby, after it was discovered Elghawaby had written to Canadian colleges and universities urging them to hire more Muslim, Arab and Palestinian teachers.
It adds that hiring of professors has to be based on their “excellence and competence,” and “certainly not based on their religion.”
I wonder if this will be one of the boxes the Bloc Québécois will require checked to support Trudeau in Parliament?
The existence of the letter, dated Aug. 30, was first reported by Le Journal de Québec, and a Canadian Heritage spokesperson says it was sent to institutions across the country.
Speaking to reporters in the Montreal area, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that while each university has its own rules on hiring, Elghawaby’s role is to make recommendations and encourage dialogue between different groups.
Later in Repentigny, Legault criticized Trudeau for defending Elghawaby “in the name of diversity” and refusing to call for her resignation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The explosion in antisemitic fervour did not suddenly appear out of nowhere. Rather, it has emerged out of an ideology that has become increasingly embedded in our social institutions and manipulated by Islamic radicals to co-opt masses of useful idiots.

This ideology is used to fuel hostility toward Jews and other supposedly “white adjacent” minorities, such as Hindu- and Chinese-Canadians. It emerges from a simplistic oppressor-oppressed ideology, which has gained prominence over the last few years and now dominates many institutions and sectors of Canadian society. It holds that we can neatly designate identity groups as either “privileged” or “marginalized” based on skin colour, average household incomes or educational achievement.
By contrast, under this ideological framework, members of Indigenous communities, Muslims, Black Canadians and trans people, among others, are all considered “oppressed.” Anything they do or say against their “privileged oppressors,” including Jews, or for the benefit of other “oppressed” groups, including Palestinians in Gaza, is thus justified?

If we’ve learned anything in recent years, it’s that deferring to radical ideology begets more and crazier forms of that ideology. Take, for example, the Toronto District School Board’s (TDSB) embrace of “anti-Palestinian racism,” or APR. APR absurdly holds that challenging the Palestinian narrative of “the Nakba,” or catastrophe, of Israel’s creation can be a form of racism against Palestinians.

Last week, in the face of unprecedented antisemitism sparked by radical Islamists over the past year, it was revealed by the Heritage Ministry that Elghawaby had let loose another extremist tirade in late August. She sent a letter to university and college heads stating they should hire more Muslim, Arab and Palestinian professors. The very people who — to a great extent — have incited the antisemitism we have been witnessing. The very people who have supported the occupation of college campuses across North America.

She had the audacity to write that,”since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in October 2023, a dangerous climate has arisen on campuses.” Without a word on who started the “dangerous climate.” It wasn’t started by Jewish students. Aside from her hiring call, she suggested briefing campus leaders, “on civil liberties and Islamophobia.” Though Canada has seen a slight increase in anti-Islamic incidents it pales in comparison to the more than 300% increase in antisemitic incidents as documented by the League for Human Rights.
QUEBEC — The National Assembly has again called for the resignation of Canada’s Special Representative on combating Islamophobia. The vote was 109 for, zero against. Rising in the legislature, Higher Education Minister Pascale Déry read the motion, which opens by noting education is the exclusive jurisdiction of the government of Quebec.

In a strongly worded motion adopted unanimously Tuesday, the legislature denounces the representative, Amira Elghawaby, after it was discovered Elghawaby had written to Canadian colleges and universities urging them to hire more Muslim, Arab and Palestinian teachers.
It adds that hiring of professors has to be based on their “excellence and competence,” and “certainly not based on their religion.”
I wonder if this will be one of the boxes the Bloc Québécois will require checked to support Trudeau in Parliament?
The existence of the letter, dated Aug. 30, was first reported by Le Journal de Québec, and a Canadian Heritage spokesperson says it was sent to institutions across the country.
Speaking to reporters in the Montreal area, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that while each university has its own rules on hiring, Elghawaby’s role is to make recommendations and encourage dialogue between different groups.
Later in Repentigny, Legault criticized Trudeau for defending Elghawaby “in the name of diversity” and refusing to call for her resignation.
Anti-Zionism.

Only real Jews can stop the Zionists.