The Truth and Reconciliation Commission wants an appology from Pope.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First there should have been no residential schools this was the most racist thing
society could have done and was a total abuse of power period. To compound it
Government excused it all by turning unmitigated power over to the church. Had the
government not done what they did the church religion period would not have then
intruded into the customs of the native population who had a belief system of their
own.
This whole thing this travesty of justice was cultural genocide and should be denounced
by the Pope the Arch Bishop of Canterbury and any other denomination that took part in it.
Yes the Pope should make a formal announcement now that the final report has been
issued but he is not alone.
These were crimes committed by church and state and some want to ignore that they
should also pay financially as well

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
First there should have been no residential schools this was the most racist thing
society could have done and was a total abuse of power period. To compound it
Government excused it all by turning unmitigated power over to the church. Had the
government not done what they did the church religion period would not have then
intruded into the customs of the native population who had a belief system of their
own.
This whole thing this travesty of justice was cultural genocide and should be denounced
by the Pope the Arch Bishop of Canterbury and any other denomination that took part in it.
Yes the Pope should make a formal announcement now that the final report has been
issued but he is not alone.
These were crimes committed by church and state and some want to ignore that they
should also pay financially as well

Pope Benedict already did. Why does Pope Francis need to do it again? How many times does a Pope need to address this? Are they expecting every Pope from now on to address the residential schools?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
i think you are missing my point,it is more of a recognition thing,a confession thing,the first apology came with really quick shuffling under the rug,now their is different agendas which are layed out in a meaniful constructive manner.
the aboriginals will let whoever or whatever know when they can bury their heads,the pope now or in the future has no control,the hands of power has shifted.
this is what happens when things are purpsefully shuffled under the rug.

repeat all you want.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
i think you are missing my point,it is more of a recognition thing,a confession thing,the first apology came with really quick shuffling under the rug,now their is different agendas which are layed out in a meaniful constructive manner.
the aboriginals will let whoever or whatever know when they can bury their heads,the pope now or in the future has no control,the hands of power has shifted.
this is what happens when things are purpsefully shuffled under the rug.

repeat all you want.

I'm not missing anything. The head of the Holy Roman Catholic Church has already addressed the residential schools DIRECTLY to First Nations leaders in 2009. There is no need for his Holiness to do it again. This is an example of the TRC and Trudeau grandstanding only.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I'm not missing anything. The head of the Holy Roman Catholic Church has already addressed the residential schools DIRECTLY to First Nations leaders in 2009. There is no need for his Holiness to do it again. This is an example of the TRC and Trudeau grandstanding only.

Or setting up the stage for a meeting with him and a chance at one of the things he loves most in Life, a photo op.

JT wants his own photo op with the pope.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Or setting up the stage for a meeting with him and a chance at one of the things he loves most in Life, a photo op.

I agree. JT wants his own photo op with the pope.

Considering Trudeau's stance on Abortion. I would hope that the Pope turned him down for an audience and excommunicated him at the same time.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Considering Trudeau's stance on Abortion. I would hope that the Pope turned him down for an audience and excommunicated him at the same time.

i think JT's strategy is to meet with as many people of influence as possible in the next year. He wants to learn. Gain different insights.

From a unselfish prospective. Canada gains from this.

Last edited:

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
it seems to my ignorant intelligence i can foresee that the pope is going to have to do it again,no big deal,possibly a better and more sincere apology this time.

JT wants his own photo op with the pope.
ridiculous.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hell, why not add in the Dalai Lama too?

Tibetan-Buddhist residential schools?

Considering Benedict already addressed this, I really see no reason that Francis needs to also.

He'd never formally apologized in his weasel-wordy way of addressing it.

Considering Benedict already addressed this, I really see no reason that Francis needs to also.

He'd never formally apologized in his weasel-wordy way of addressing it.

If the Catholic Church played a role in the residential schools there should be reparations along with a formal apology (if Benedict did so I guess that should settle it), but the RCC was not the only religious organization involved with the residential schools.
I think the question is, will the PM be calling on all leaders in these churches for reparations and an apology or is he just singling out the Catholics because they are the easiest?

There were four Churches involved (Anglican, Presbiterian, United, and Catholic). The first three have delivered formal statements of apology that are even available online. As for the Catholic Church, some Canadian Catholic organizations have done so, but it is well known that the Universal Catholic Church knew of and condoned the system, yet the Universal Catholic Church has refused to apologize up until now.

Is the apology supposed to be for having residential schools or is it for the sexual abuse that occurred in them??

Res Schools were a gov issue, no Pope involvement!!

Sexual abuse is an individual priest failing, ,,, don't understand how the Pope can be held responsible for an individual's failing???

The institution of the Church even at the International level knew and approved of active participation in the system, the system itself being bad enough, and pedophile priests were protected or transfered.

Pope Benedict already did. Why does Pope Francis need to do it again? How many times does a Pope need to address this? Are they expecting every Pope from now on to address the residential schools?

Benedict's was a non-apology.

He had merely expressed condolences. That is not the same as an apology. Anyone can express condolences, but only the guilty can apologise. The Church is guilty on an institutional level given its official support and promotion of the system at the highest levels of the Vatican.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Residential schooling is the gift that keeps on giving. FN will never give it up no matter who apologizes or how much money they are given. It is part of the victim industry.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Nowhere does the Gospel state "Though shalt legislate against abortion." Unless he should actively promote or encourage abortion itself as opposed to the mere freedom to have one should one choose to do so, he is not technically violating the Gospel.

That said, the Gospel does say "Give unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's". On that point, he could be excommunicated for engaging in partisan politics.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sexual abuse is an individual priest failing, ,,, don't understand how the Pope can be held responsible for an individual's failing???
Tolerating it, covering it up, using political power to stop enforcement, and facilitating the access of abusive priests to victims is accessory before, during, and after the fact.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Tolerating it, covering it up, using political power to stop enforcement, and facilitating the access of abusive priests to victims is accessory before, during, and after the fact.

But don't the ends justify the means? Wasn't it all for the good cause of beating, thrusting, and cussing the fear of God into savage hearts?

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Of course they do.

That's what I'm told. They brought a good few of us to Jesus.

I doubt a single one came to believe in Jesus because of such behaviour. My guess is that that came to believe in Jesus through reading or hearing the Gospel in spite of what happened to them in those schools.

Those who should claim to have turned to Chris because of that behaviour likely have an extremely warped view of the Christian Faith and have become abusers themselves.

Some might even have tured to the Gospel as a spiritual refuge from the Church.