The Truth and Reconciliation Commission wants an appology from Pope.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I would REALLY like to know WHY the TRC is expecting or wanting an apology from Pope Francis?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Considering Benedict already addressed this, I really see no reason that Francis needs to also.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
If the Catholic Church played a role in the residential schools there should be reparations along with a formal apology (if Benedict did so I guess that should settle it), but the RCC was not the only religious organization involved with the residential schools.
I think the question is, will the PM be calling on all leaders in these churches for reparations and an apology or is he just singling out the Catholics because they are the easiest?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I would REALLY like to know WHY the TRC is expecting or wanting an apology from Pope Francis?

It's progressiveness. That's what they do. It's a test. My bet is JT is holier then the pope.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Is the apology supposed to be for having residential schools or is it for the sexual abuse that occurred in them??

Res Schools were a gov issue, no Pope involvement!!

Sexual abuse is an individual priest failing, ,,, don't understand how the Pope can be held responsible for an individual's failing???

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Is the apology supposed to be for having residential schools or is it for the sexual abuse that occurred in them??

There is an old saying that goes like this: There is no such thing as a stupid question; except the one you just asked.

Wrong, the Catholic Church was involved with the residential schools, the Pope is the leader of the RCC. Leadership means bearing responsibility.

Sexual abuse is an individual priest failing, ,,, don't understand how the Pope can be held responsible for an individual's failing???
Again, wrong. That's like saying that a leader like Hitler was not responsible for Auschwitz and that the guards there, the scientists and the wolves who sent millions to their death were solely responsible.

(Gerryh I apologize for the comparison. I am by no means comparing the Pope to Hitler, just trying to knock a little sense into Durry's flawed logic)

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Was it ottawa's plan to sexually abuse, and starve and beat the children?
Was that what Ottawa asked?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Wrong, the Catholic Church was involved with the residential schools, the Pope is the leader of the RCC. Leadership means bearing responsibility.

Again, wrong. That's like saying that a leader like Hitler was not responsible for Auschwitz and that the guards there, the scientists and the wolves who sent millions to their death were solely responsible.

logic)
Your wrong on both points!

And your example is just plain stupid.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
(Gerryh I apologize for the comparison. I am by no means comparing the Pope to Hitler, just trying to knock a little sense into Durry's flawed logic)

That's pretty much a waste of time.

Was it ottawa's plan to sexually abuse, and starve and beat the children?
Was that what Ottawa asked?

sexually abuse? I doubt it. Starve and beat? Pretty much. What ever it took to "beat" the "injun" out of em.

Your wrong on both points!

And your example is just plain stupid.

Actually, he is right, and the one who is stupid is you, but it is what we have come to expect from you.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
sexually abuse? I doubt it. Starve and beat? Pretty much. What ever it took to "beat" the "injun" out of em.

So, here is my question

how many millions do you feel we should give each family member of the survivors?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So, here is my question

how many millions do you feel we should give each family member of the survivors?

The money has been settled for the ROC, it's just Nflnd/Lab that hasn't been settled or acknowledged by the Feds.

Of course, if you were keeping up, you would know this already.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The money has been settled for the ROC, it's just Nflnd/Lab that hasn't been settled or acknowledged by the Feds.

Of course, if you were keeping up, you would know this already.

That wasn't what I asked, please re-read the question

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That wasn't what I asked, please re-read the question

Doesn't matter what I think, it's been settled. What I "think" is moot.

and besides, this thread is about the TRC wanting Pope Francis to apologize.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Doesn't matter what I think, it's been settled. What I "think" is moot.

and besides, this thread is about the TRC wanting Pope Francis to apologize.

Would have been a interesting insight into your mind.