The Solar Industry Now Employs Twice As Many People As Coal

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The Solar Industry Now Employs Twice As Many People As Coal

THE RISE OF RENEWABLES

The US’ renewable energy industry is currently thriving. A survey released by The Solar Foundation shows that the solar industry has nearly tripled employment since they started tracking its growth back in 2010.

According to the study, 260,000 people are now employed by the solar industry. The majority of positions are currently in installation, with workers earning an average of $25.96 per hour. The biggest market so far, is residential, which encompasses 41 percent of available jobs; with the commercial and utility-scale markets trailing behind.

The Solar Foundation reports:

Solar employs slightly more workers than natural gas, over twice as many as coal, over three times that of wind energy, and almost five times the number employed in nuclear energy. Only oil/petroleum has more employment (by 38%) than solar.​

To date, California has the biggest solar capacity in the US, accounting for 34 percent of installations in 2016. But as the study notes, states such as New Jersey, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Utah have also seen a significant rise in solar installations.

FAST GROWING INDUSTRY

Right now, solar energy accounts for only 1.3 percent of the US’ electricity, but it is poised for unprecedented growth. Case in point, last year, solar only accounted for just one in every 50 jobs in the country. Today, it has already overtaken traditional jobs offered in the coal energy industry.

Since solar is still a burgeoning industry, the physical installation element still keeps costs up. But, as technology advances and the labor-intensive nature of the solar industry lessens, costs will only continue to drop and the renewable resource will be a more prominent source of energy.

Once solar becomes a dominant energy source, it’s possible that the industry might not deliver the volume of manual job opportunities it initially did. However, as with all industries, advancements in technology will create a need for alternate types of jobs. This transition to renewable resources will not only create new types of jobs but make current workplace efforts less costly because of lowering solar energy costs. As the future becomes the present and the nature of solar energy work changes, one thing remains

As the future becomes the present and the nature of solar energy work changes, one thing remains constant. The more fossil fuel sources that can be replaced by renewable energy, the better off we all will be. From the financial burden of fossil fuel to the impending realities of climate change, renewable energy like solar will only become a more necessary resource.

https://futurism.com/us-solar-industry-employs-twice-as-many-jobs-versus-coal-today/

How's Trump promise to bring back coal jobs.. fizzled like his Health Care Bill, The Border Wall.. and so on.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hmmmm, lets' see.

Obama essentially outlaws the use of coal in the US (for power generation purposes) and creates an environment that hamstrings the coal industry.

Coal producers shut-in facilities, mines and investment thereby eliminating tons of jobs in the coal industry.

... Magically, more people are now employed in renewables in comparison.

Never saw that coming

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Once one includes the people involved in the other parts of the coal industry like in shipping and fixing coal burning gear, this whole concept goes out the window.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I hear ya.

on the bright side though, relatively speaking, there is a resurgence in the buggy-whip industry as we are seeing an increase in employment in that sector as compared to coal from 15 years ago.

.. More direct proof that society is demanding a return to horse drawn buggies in order to combat global warming

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
I'd like to see the wages breakdown for this economic solar miracle.
A lot of guys making 10 dollars an hour self employed contractors
compared to all those middle class unionized coal workers.

some miracle.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I'd like to see the wages breakdown for this economic solar miracle.
A lot of guys making 10 dollars an hour self employed contractors
compared to all those middle class unionized coal workers.

some miracle.

A Solar Photovoltaic Installer will normally receive an average salary ranging between 32000 to 48000 depending on experience and domain knowledge. Solar Photovoltaic Installers will normally get a wage of Forty Eight Thousand Seven Hundred dollars per annum. Source

Kentucky coal miners make ~ $35-50,000 a year. Have a better chance of being killed on the job, or getting black lung disease or cancer. Source

.. More direct proof that society is demanding a return to horse drawn buggies in order to combat global warming

That sure is one awesome looking horse and buggie

[youtube]4AXU2wqQe00[/youtube]

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When do the residential owners get to install them on the roof or backyard and get e cheque every month,

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
With governments and policy makers influencing growth by heavily subsidizing solar and wind, and hobbling coal and gas production through ever more stringent regulations and delay or outright rejection of new non-renewable energy projects, I would expect no less than this result. Anyone who uses this as confirmation that renewable energy is successfully forging its way into the future, naturally progressing thorough its own means is delusional at best.

I wonder how many jobs overall will be lost through a slower economy resulting from less and less discretionary income as people and businesses face inevitably higher energy costs and new regressive taxes to cover the governments share of the energy production costs resulting from green energy subsidies. I wonder if this has been factored into the equation... maybe we could ask Kathleen Wynne.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
To date, California has the biggest solar capacity in the US, accounting for 34 percent of installations in 2016. But as the study notes, states such as New Jersey, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Utah have also seen a significant rise in solar installations.
And California is bankrupt!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
When do the residential owners get to install them on the roof or backyard and get e cheque every month,

Right around the time that those users kick-in to the cost of maintaining the distribution/transmission infrastructure

312 mi (502 km) fuels up in about 5 minutes.. source

But thanks for playing..

Downhill with a tail wind.

Any max payload of interest?

... Must be terrific for a family of 4 with dog

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
And California is bankrupt!

California has a population bigger than Canada, and it's budget is better than Ontario..

California budget shows Gov. Brown at his best and worst - The San Diego Union-Tribune

I wouldn't be tossing stones while living in a glass house.

... Must be terrific for a family of 4 with dog

[youtube]BE4Wz9b9tTA[/youtube]

Seats 4 well and the US Army are buying a few because they are so quite..

It also pulls really well too..

Nikola Motor unveils its hydrogen fuel cell 18-wheeler | Computerworld

I understand change is hard for you senior citizens, but welcome to the 21st century.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You bought your hydrogen fuel cell ev and are happily driving it today?

Thanks for coming out, but get back to me when you have something more than a concept car that exists only on a drafting table

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The electric cars on the road today do not use a hydrogen fuel cell. They use batteries which was the captain's original point. Nice deflection though.

Boomski likes to move the goal posts as necessary.

Wonder if he'll man-up long enough to recognize the mega-hazard related to all of the toxic nasties that are a byproduct of the spent batteries?.. Yeah, probably not.

PS (Boomer) - you can only recycle those batteries so many times before they are nothing more than spent heavy metals