The ICON Aircraft

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan....

Here's a cutie for you to have for your very own - they can even be towed behind an SUV and are capable of ground AND water air-surface landings...

ICON Aircraft: Sport Flying Revolution

They are working on a light sport aircraft prototype in the desert north of here ....
I thought - now that's what Juan could use!

Woops I didn't check out the price..... I better not look..... Curio

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
AW AnnaG!!

Is that the price? I didn't want to look and spoil my dreams...hehe......I don't even have a boat - sigh

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Neat looking aircraft Curio. I wonder what it's range and cruising speed are like. $135,000 doesn't sound too bad. I wonder how long the waiting list is. I wonder if I could get away with getting something like this...;-):smile:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Juan

I just read one of their press releases (avoiding the price index hehe).... and the first two years of manufacturing was to satisfy back orders.....

I thought it would be fun if a club bought it and each member had so many hours for utilizing it.... the pictures in the advertising made the mountains down here look so puny after seeing B.C. in the Olympics... but I guess mountains in the desert are really just sand dunes.

Curio

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Neat looking aircraft Curio. I wonder what it's range and cruising speed are like. $135,000 doesn't sound too bad. I wonder how long the waiting list is. I wonder if I could get away with getting something like this...;-):smile:

max speed 105 knts with a max range of 300 nm.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Does it fit in with ultralight regs? - no licence

Don't think so. The regs have recently gotten stiffer to the point that anything above a glorified hang glider is subject to all the rules. Still, it would be fun to try.

Section 4.2 – Buyer expressly acknowledges that Buyer has not relied on any oral or written representations except as specifically stated in the Agreement and that ICON has made no representations as to the suitability of the Aircraft for any particular purpose of Buyer. Buyer acknowledges that the Aircraft is a general aviation sport aircraft and is not suited for commercial transport or aerobatics.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hahaha Juan

I never thought of it as a hang glider - with Vandenberg shooting off missiles on a regular basis I wouldn't want to hang glide too close to their shuttle pattern around
here hahahaha

Now I have visions you have to wear Snoopy Hats to pilot them too.....

Really tho I am still trying to overcome the price.....and I'll use it as an excuse to stop dreaming about them.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Don't think so. The regs have recently gotten stiffer to the point that anything above a glorified hang glider is subject to all the rules. Still, it would be fun to try.
Take the wings off and take it off the trailer. Getting power to a wheel might be a challenge but with 3 wheels it is at least classified as a motorcycle so regs are relaxed a bit. That might also drop the price by $100,000 lol

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/carter-gyrocopter-video/05Drk57UuhLuH0f9981mBw

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Neat looking plane. I saw a short feature about it on the news recently - or it might have been discovery channel. Another toy for the wealthy I guess.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Neat looking plane. I saw a short feature about it on the news recently - or it might have been discovery channel. Another toy for the wealthy I guess.

But no more than a Corvette or a Ferrari.......;-):lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
But no more than a Corvette or a Ferrari.......;-):lol:
Ferraris can run much more than $135K but the most expensive 2010 'Vette is only $115K. You'd have to get a classic 'Vette to match the price of the Icon.

$135K isn't too bad considering a lot of people pay more than that for a boat or a car and this thing is both.

You'd definitely need lessons for it, though. I've heard T/Os and landings are pretty tricky on water.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ferraris can run much more than $135K but the most expensive 2010 'Vette is only $115K. You'd have to get a classic 'Vette to match the price of the Icon.

$135K isn't too bad considering a lot of people pay more than that for a boat or a car and this thing is both.

You'd definitely need lessons for it, though. I've heard T/Os and landings are pretty tricky on water.

A Mazda Miata is a better sports car than either of them and for the price of a Vette you could buy three or four Miatas. Surprisingly, there is a guy in Nanaimo with a new Lamborghini. Close to $400,000.00 and he parks it on the sreet.

Not only will you need lessons, you will need a pilot's licence. Add eight to ten grand if you are not a licenced pilot.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A Mazda Miata is a better sports car than either of them and for the price of a Vette you could buy three or four Miatas. Surprisingly, there is a guy in Nanaimo with a new Lamborghini. Close to $400,000.00 and he parks it on the sreet.

Not only will you need lessons, you will need a pilot's licence. Add eight to ten grand if you are not a licenced pilot.
A Miata is just cheaper. Cheaper does not necessarily mean better. 25 years down the road the Miata would be a piece of junk, but the Vette or the Ferrari would be worth quite a bit. Ferraris make just about anything else on the road look like they are standing still. Miatas cannot take lateral acceleration as well as any but the older Ferraris. Mind you they probably get better gas mileage.

An 85 RX7 in perfect shape will go for about $2000.
An 85 Vette, about $15,000
A comparable Ferrari, $40,000

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Pretty sweet looking rig, I kind of wonder who their target market is. 135K is a good price for a new light aircraft, considering a decent used float equipped C-185 or 206 can run you upwards of 180K or more, and a Beaver for a quater mil, (floats themselves can cost half the price of the airplane they are fitted to). I see a danger as Les pointed out, water operations are extremely challenging, even for the experienced. I have six seasons doing just that, fun but unforgiving.

My fear is that the nuveau riche may see this a plaything, much like Ferrarris, Lamboughinis and such, and end up like the Thurmon Munsons who, with 500 hours, think they are Buzz Aldrin, and can fly their own Cessna Citation better than the instructor training them, killing themselves, their instructor and seriously injuring their passenger, but I digress.

If a person with the desire and discipline, (and ablility) to make the dedicated effort to fly, this might be a satifying little beast to own.

Me, I want a helicopter.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A Miata is just cheaper. Cheaper does not necessarily mean better. 25 years down the road the Miata would be a piece of junk, but the Vette or the Ferrari would be worth quite a bit. Ferraris make just about anything else on the road look like they are standing still. Miatas cannot take lateral acceleration as well as any but the older Ferraris. Mind you they probably get better gas mileage.

An 85 RX7 in perfect shape will go for about $2000.
An 85 Vette, about $15,000
A comparable Ferrari, $40,000

A Corvette is not a sports car. It is a great, plastic, pig of a Batmobile. They get lousy gas mileage, they are far too heavy and they handle like a wheel barrow. Mazda purposely undertired the Miata to keep it's limits low so it would be fun to drive and not kill people. In second gear you can break the rear end loose at will. With stiffer suspension and good tires the Miata will out corner just about anything on the road, The Miata has dominated SCCA showroom stock racing since it first came out. in 89.